Know Your Opponent: Virginia Tech

Techfan591988

Georgia Tech Fan
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Hokies?src=hash">#Hokies</a> freshman tailback Shai McKenzie has a strong day running seven times for 66 yards and one touchdown.</p>&mdash; Mike Barber (@RTD_MikeBarber) <a href="">August 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
No doubt they are going to try and run the ball down our throats with the talent they have in Blacksburg. To me, this is the most pivotal game of the year. If we win this one it could be the spring board to Charlotte.
This is where we are going to really miss Thomas on D. Let's hope Noble and Smith can bring that run stopping hard hitting style Thomas had.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Hokies?src=hash">#Hokies</a> freshman tailback Shai McKenzie has a strong day running seven times for 66 yards and one touchdown.</p>&mdash; Mike Barber (@RTD_MikeBarber) <a href="">August 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Probably against the 2's and 3's

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For the VT game, I think it is more important that we know ourselves. We gave the game away last year with sloppy play. The off-sides were on us; the jumping of the line was something we did compensate for after a quarter or so.

We have to beat VT to have a realistic shot at Coastal. VT and Miami games will pretty much determine if we are knocked out ...... we could win both and still lose to UNC and not make it. But win those two and we will all of a sudden be favorites.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... We have to beat VT to have a realistic shot at Coastal. VT and Miami games will pretty much determine if we are knocked out ...... we could win both and still lose to UNC and not make it. But win those two and we will all of a sudden be favorites.
Think that about sums it up regarding our opportunity to win the Coastal. Beat all three (still assume we'll beat Duke) and there should be no questions about the Coastal winner.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Unless we have a new game plan I don't see us winning this game in Blacksburg
Bud Foster pretty much owns CPJ right now & offensively they just gonna smash us in the mouth until we wear down.
This is a game in which well have to pass to set up the run, and they have 2 stout corners going against a lackluster passing game at best.
They have a new quarterback so I don't expect much from their passing game either and I think we can stay in the game by stacking the box and daring them to throw. Our Achilles will be with their TE.
I see us in a 4-3 with Marcordes guarding the TE. We just have to hold against what I expect to be a smash mouth running attack for 4 quarters.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Unless we have a new game plan I don't see us winning this game in Blacksburg
Bud Foster pretty much owns CPJ right now & offensively they just gonna smash us in the mouth until we wear down.
This is a game in which well have to pass to set up the run, and they have 2 stout corners going against a lackluster passing game at best.
They have a new quarterback so I don't expect much from their passing game either and I think we can stay in the game by stacking the box and daring them to throw. Our Achilles will be with their TE.
I see us in a 4-3 with Marcordes guarding the TE. We just have to hold against what I expect to be a smash mouth running attack for 4 quarters.

I have thought a lot about how I would play VT if I were CPJ. I would go unbalanced with both receivers on the power side. Use the motioning AB as blocker or wheel route to the week side. Make VT pay for playing hard inside, and break up their symmetry.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have thought a lot about how I would play VT if I were CPJ. I would go unbalanced with both receivers on the power side. Use the motioning AB as blocker or wheel route to the week side. Make VT pay for playing hard inside, and break up their symmetry.

We are going to run our base offense. We just have to run it better than we have in the past years and not get penalties and turnovers. That is the total theme and buy in this year- smash mouth football.

Last year only VT and Mississippi held us to 3 yards a carry. We should be able to do much better this year with a healthy O line (an assumption there) and either JT or TB. I think the short passing game will be where we go if they put 8 in the box like they were able to do all game long last year. If we can't pass with 8 in the box, we will lose regardless of formation IMHO.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
We are going to run our base offense. We just have to run it better than we have in the past years and not get penalties and turnovers. That is the total theme and buy in this year- smash mouth football.

Last year only VT and Mississippi held us to 3 yards a carry. We should be able to do much better this year with a healthy O line (an assumption there) and either JT or TB. I think the short passing game will be where we go if they put 8 in the box like they were able to do all game long last year. If we can't pass with 8 in the box, we will lose regardless of formation IMHO.

If there are 8 in the box where are you passing to if you are looking short? Isn't that when we go long to burn them for stuffing the box?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If there are 8 in the box where are you passing to if you are looking short? Isn't that when we go long to burn them for stuffing the box?

Uuhhh, pass where they aren't? :cautious: We should be able to get people free short who appear to be going out for a block and slip behind defenders. The 8 in the box tend to crash the line to disrupt the sidelines flow of players. We should be able to have WRs do slants or the BB get free up the middle ......... then the short pass will be a long gain since we will have a reception behind most of the defenders. I think we have tried this but the QBs haven't been accurate enough.

We have tried the long pass a lot and I don't think it has worked due to our poor pass protection. :jimlad:

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Hurry up could screw with VT's gameplan some by forcing them to play base. Wonder if we'll run it some.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
VT had the best D of all of the opponents we faced last year. They lost a good number of guys. I feel pretty good about this game and think we might win it walking away. My worry after that will be facing Miami with possibly over inflated egos.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
VT had the best D of all of the opponents we faced last year. They lost a good number of guys. I feel pretty good about this game and think we might win it walking away. My worry after that will be facing Miami with possibly over inflated egos.
I agree, but I think the bye week really helps for Miami.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
VT has a creampuff (William and Mary) to open with but then has to go to Ohio St and then come home for ECU(who has always given VT fits) before Tech comes to town. Losing Gayle and Fuller plus 4 other starters on D doesn't give Foster the kind of flexibility he has had in past years. It won't be a cakewalk for Tech but I feel better about facing VT this year compared with the last few years. By the time Tech comes into Blacksburg they should be in sync and I look to Tech to come home with a win.