Kirby Syndrome or Syracuse Envy?

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, this is new. How do they know? They might sometimes guess based on the first movement of quick motion by an Aback, which is about a millisecond ahead of the snap. But that is a dangerous game to be playing. I am pretty sure that the snap count varies, not by much but it doesn't have to. (That -- to me -- silly fake play we use looking for a penalty instead of a kick is the exception). Are you saying we also go on the same count? Or am I missing something?
One of the early games, one in which we had many false starts, CPJ said in either post game or mid-week press conference that we used the same snap count for the entire game. This blew my mind. Seems like you are giving up a huge potential advantage.

I do not have Kirby or suckacuse envy. I’m just calling out what I see on this board all the time about academics being the center of our evils. Smart kids play football ie Sean Bedford. What I don’t see from GT is us finding very many of these smart kids. The next excuse we hear as a sidewalk fan is money, but then in the next breath we hear 1 in 6 alumni are millionaires. See the contradictions are what piss me off. Yes the option should make us competitive with other better recruiting schools. But when you are not getting anywhere with what is your bread and butter and have nothing else to go to........ to me that’s an indictment on coaching. I love watching the option when it works but if it don’t well it just plain sucks. We have never at least to my recollection had a short passing game most passes are over 20yards. That takes much better pass pro than we have or will possibly ever have. That’s my only complaint with where we are right now I love Georgia Tech and am a sidewalk fan and catch a lot of flak because of it. We will never have many sidewalk fans as long as we continue to make excuses and keep the arrogant attitudes up.
Is GT an elite university absolutely, but there are other schools that are prestigious as well. I can live with the way things are cause it’s obvious it isn’t gonna change. Although that doesn’t mean I will not get pissed when I see inefficiency where we could have done better.

One of the early games, one in which we had many false starts, CPJ said in either post game or mid-week press conference that we used the same snap count for the entire game. This blew my mind. Seems like you are giving up a huge potential advantage.
The snap count is for our benefit. CPJ has always said he is concerned about what our players are doing (timing, execution) than what the other team is doing. In most games, against most teams not named Miami, Virginia Tech, Clemson or Georgia, if we execute properly we can't be stopped.

I do not have Kirby or suckacuse envy. I’m just calling out what I see on this board all the time about academics being the center of our evils. Smart kids play football ie Sean Bedford. What I don’t see from GT is us finding very many of these smart kids. The next excuse we hear as a sidewalk fan is money, but then in the next breath we hear 1 in 6 alumni are millionaires. See the contradictions are what piss me off. Yes the option should make us competitive with other better recruiting schools. But when you are not getting anywhere with what is your bread and butter and have nothing else to go to........ to me that’s an indictment on coaching. I love watching the option when it works but if it don’t well it just plain sucks. We have never at least to my recollection had a short passing game most passes are over 20yards. That takes much better pass pro than we have or will possibly ever have. That’s my only complaint with where we are right now I love Georgia Tech and am a sidewalk fan and catch a lot of flak because of it. We will never have many sidewalk fans as long as we continue to make excuses and keep the arrogant attitudes up.
Is GT an elite university absolutely, but there are other schools that are prestigious as well. I can live with the way things are cause it’s obvious it isn’t gonna change. Although that doesn’t mean I will not get pissed when I see inefficiency where we could have done better.
Sean Bedford is not a good example of recruiting because he was not a four or five star coming out of high school. However, he is a great example of something we need to improve on. We aren't going to get a lot of highly rated recruits. But Sean Bedford improved as a player after he was on campus. Shaq Mason too. Player development needs to be better.

I’ve seen bad coaches with loads of talent lose some inexplicable games. I’ve also seen good coaches with less talent win a lot games. It happens it’s football. Just stop trying to make excuses or start attempting to change the process. That’s all I’m saying as a fan.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
This is absurd. The pool for brighter players is necessarily smaller, which means the success rate in recruiting has to be higher. The fact that you can name Sean Bedford is a perfect example of why it’s more difficult here. As for the metric on success of graduates, you’re assuming they share your interests. Maybe they don’t, and that’s not anyone’s business but their own.

Also, every offense sucks when it’s not working. How did Virginia Tech and Louisville do against Clemson this year? I forget.

Animal02

Banned
This will get you nowhere. Have you not learned that message boards are where logic and common sense go to die?
Yeah.....there are some on here who apparently believe 4-5 star athletes that A) want to major in STEM degrees B) are academically eligible to attend Tech, and C) actually would consider attending Tech are plentiful and we are just not finding them. :rolleyes:

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan
It might seem like forever but it actually happened earlier this season. (Pitt game maybe?) And sometimes we are just looking to see if the safeties are reacting to the motion and coach calls a counter after the timeout that results in a long TD run by the QB. (Wake game)

yeah, i wasn't really talking about our "motion into the wishbone" formation that we run on 4th down. (and sometimes to great effect on 3rd down :)). more just during the regular flow of the game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Here is the best way to think about this, since 2008, the arrival of CPJ, how many times has Miami, NC State, UVA,BC,Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, and Wake Forest gone to the ACCG.....yep that's right....none. Us three times.
Using the above info for the past justification of gt and coach is very valid.

Note
Annual opponents clemson and Miami appear recently to be even better. In that period Miami was record bad and we still had trouble. Beating clemson is not a recent event except for 2 pic 6 in 14. These are likely 2 losses 3 of 4 years.
If we split w unc and vt thats likely another loss. That's 3 likely losses every year. Then we play the other teams who like Syracuse did at clemson can rise up and beat us.

I am happy with the past but think we need to find a way to get coach more talent so he can change the ratios for accg visits to continue at same pace.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As an add on to this, I think our defense played REALLY WELL in the loss. Most teams that Clemson plays end up getting ground down and giving up a bunch of points late. We gave up:
TD on blown/bad coverage after a fumble
2 TDs on long drives (I'd expect this against any decent team)
1 FG on a stalled drive after half
NO MORE POINTS THE REST OF THE GAME

We didn't get ground down like most teams do against Clemson. I'd tender that while the game wasn't ever really in doubt, we weren't really blown out either.

I don't think we are far from where we need to be with what we have. (i.e., without some huge influx of talent, wouldn't trade our current roster as they're all good kids)
Is it possible the slick field hurt both offenses (Clem when running) and helped both defenses?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Could have. We also made them start really far down the field if we had to punt, which probably helped some as well.
Maybe it's just coincidence that our two worst showings on offense were played on a marsh in a storm. It didn't help that they were against the two best defenses we've faced as well.