Killer Instinct

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think "alaguy's" reaction was an "over reaction" at all. That is exactly how I see our defensive talent. I also think when we play BCS teams with decent offenses, we will need to score 40+ to win games. It will be a difficult year I believe.

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
Nice thread: my thoughts-
The option as we run it is a very disciplined offense, the majority of high school teams that run it are private schools - the college teams are service academies or smaller schools that need the advantage to compete.
We need that advantage with our academic rigors. Unlike Stanford we do not have the Silicon Valley to draw recruits in!
Ga. Southern has every kid that was one recruit away from playing at UGA, Auburn, Florida etc. now they just increased their scholarship limit which increased the depth. You saw Wofford play, the starting guys on any of these teams can play- it is when you hit the depth. Coach is (in my opinion) doing a heck of a job with our offense. New QB, stud fullback, some unreal threats at receiver. Defense, especially the secondary- step up!! Now here is my kicker- as far as second half let down- lower intensity- loss of focus? Can't blame that at all on CPJ. I watched UGA get bent Saturday and saw not one bit of emotion from their coaches-- for years and the past weeks I have heard negatives from posters on our head coaches sideline aggressiveness and we are not even privvy to the locker room aggressiveness!! He is doing everything he can to fire up players and assistant coaches, We have a Young team, I am looking forward to supporting them thru their growth!!! Ga. Southern is a really good team- proud of them as young men they did not lie down.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't think "alaguy's" reaction was an "over reaction" at all. That is exactly how I see our defensive talent. I also think when we play BCS teams with decent offenses, we will need to score 40+ to win games. It will be a difficult year I believe.
hmmmm. alaguy and alabamabuzz think alike......

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Boomer, I agree entirely. While I have not competed in football, I have in cycling and triathlons. Being in the zone is very important and can be lost quickly by daydreaming and losing performance or by working too hard and burning yourself out. I have done lots of interval training where I measured and analyzed by heart rate and speed (biking and running). What I have found is that once I (and most endurance athletes) go too hard, it is very hard to recover.

Since I come from this background, I look at our game where we had the ball for about 22 minutes in the first half. I think our team, especially the O, got tired out in the first half. The D thought they wouldn't' have to play that much in the second half either. Maybe not consciously, but certainly subconsciously. JT was in on 46 plays in that first half - 16 of which he was the ball carries and many others where he pitched or had to escape the pocket to rush. He had to be getting tired and I think the relaxation at half found it extra hard himself and for the O to get back up on the bubble. Call it what you want, leading 35-10 at half it's hard to think you're going to have a dog fight in the second half. Now that they have, this group will know better next time.

One thought from cycling. It would make sense for certain key players to have their heart rates and speed / performance monitored live during the game. It's what is done in major cycling races now to decide which of the team members should be used to support the team leader at different stages of the race. When a players speed goes down at increasing heart rate, that's the time to bring a substitute in if the sub is close in expected performance. That's why during the game yesterday I said at halftime that I wanted to see Byerly for a lot of the second half and have the D keep up intensity. Nothing against JT except that he is human and gets tired. I saw his body dragging back to the huddle more and he didn't have the spring in his step at the end of the first half or in the second half. But he was a warrior and willed us down the field on the last chance; it would have been nice to have stayed out of that situation.
Reading your response brought back a flashback of JT sitting on the bench looking absolutely spent in the second half. When the game was over he looked exhausted.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Reading your response brought back a flashback of JT sitting on the bench looking absolutely spent in the second half. When the game was over he looked exhausted.

The main reason I would like to see Byerly at least one series early in second Q and another late in third Q...+ some goal and very short yardage situations, and maybe a play or two after Justin takes a big hit (he avoided all but one on Saturday but it was a big one).

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
GT Navy Nukie said:" It would make sense for certain key players to have their heart rates and speed / performance monitored live during the game. It's what is done in major cycling races now to decide which of the team members should be used to support the team leader at different stages of the race. When a players speed goes down at increasing heart rate, that's the time to bring a substitute in if the sub is close in expected performance."

I have read some where (SI in the docs office?) where some NFL and I believe NBA teams are doing just that. IIRC uses cell phone and satellite technology to monitor and transmit data for interpretation. A school like GT should be able to be in forefront of a technology like that. As I write this FSU comes to mind as possibly developing or using.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You enjoy setting off alarm bells and I'll enjoy the football season.

I enjoy both myself :cautious:;) Understanding the obstacles adds to the enjoyment of overcoming them.

And I have flashbacks of other GT QBs putting it all out in one game and being flat the second. Especially Vad. That's why is running and cycling you target your peak performances and can't effectively perform every week. Even Insane Bolt (sic) meters his performances for that reason. Top cyclists do it and will focus on only one stage race a year. They aren't wimps but have physiological data to support what they are doing to get the highest peak performance.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know FSU tracks heartrates for practice and conditioning. Not sure about games. Alabama brings in a mental coach that I think helps with maturity to stay focused and goal oriented. I think that would benefit players professionally after football as well.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The S&C Coach for GT BBALL has a pretty involved program tracking and monitoring the biometrics of the team. He even projects their numbers (Heartrate, etc) on a wall during segments of practice to keep people from dogging workouts.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
So, to be clear, you're seriously saying that when you called the game a "trap game on steroids," you were predicting Southern would go into the half 25 pts down in order to sucker GT to sleep?

FWIW, I didn't understand you that way. I was saying that GT would come out ready to play, and they did.

wow,so to be clear, the man said that this was going to be a VERY difficult game (trap game) and IT WAS- he called it , you didn't. I'm glad that "they were ready to play" .So what,they weren't ready to play a WHOLE game. We came about as close to losing as possible as 20 pt favorites.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
wow,so to be clear, the man said that this was going to be a VERY difficult game (trap game) and IT WAS- he called it , you didn't. I'm glad that "they were ready to play" .So what,they weren't ready to play a WHOLE game. We came about as close to losing as possible as 20 pt favorites.

A "trap game" is not simply "a VERY difficult game." That's just a misunderstanding on your part. The phrase "trap game" refers to a game in which the opponent is overlooked by the players because of their presumed weakness and their location on the schedule. Your "So what" is the whole point of what it means to label something a trap.

So, for example, if you swap Wofford and GaSouth on our schedule, then the Wofford game could easily be seen as a trap. They're an FCS team right before our main Coastal rival, VPI. They're also a very good FCS team who could come out and bite us. If we had beat Southern and Tulane by 20+ pts each (maybe, looking better when doing it), I could see our guys overlooking Wofford on the way to VPI. That's a trap.

Two things stood against seeing GaSouthern as a trap. 1) We had not played very well against an FCS option team makes it harder to look past a presumably better option team and (2) they're an in state university where our HC used to coach. In other words, we had good reason to think that GT would not be looking past Southern to VPI, and the first half proved that they weren't.

Compare VPI vs ECU: the week after a big win vs tOSU and the week before GT. That's an example of a trap on steroids. And what happened? They got torched for 21 pts in the 1st qtr and barely escaped 21 more in the 2nd. That's what a trap game looks like.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
E="AE 87, post: 78641, member: 195"]A "trap game" is not simply "a VERY difficult game." That's just a misunderstanding on your part. The phrase "trap game" refers to a game in which the opponent is overlooked by the players because of their presumed weakness and their location on the schedule. Your "So what" is the whole point of what it means to label something a trap.

So, for example, if you swap Wofford and GaSouth on our schedule, then the Wofford game could easily be seen as a trap. They're an FCS team right before our main Coastal rival, VPI. They're also a very good FCS team who could come out and bite us. If we had beat Southern and Tulane by 20+ pts each (maybe, looking better when doing it), I could see our guys overlooking Wofford on the way to VPI. That's a trap.

Two things stood against seeing GaSouthern as a trap. 1) We had not played very well against an FCS option team makes it harder to look past a presumably better option team and (2) they're an in state university where our HC used to coach. In other words, we had good reason to think that GT would not be looking past Southern to VPI, and the first half proved that they weren't.

Compare VPI vs ECU: the week after a big win vs tOSU and the week before GT. That's an example of a trap on steroids. And what happened? They got torched for 21 pts in the 1st qtr and barely escaped 21 more in the 2nd. That's what a trap game looks like.[/QUOTE]

funny, that's why it is called a trap GAME and not a trap "half"-- you get surprised in the GAME,the whole game score