Kickoffs: Clemson at 8p, USF at 2p

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You’d think in 50 years a GT Engineer would have figured out how to air condition Bobby Dodd and get the stands out of the sun. We’ve had decades of brainiacs swarming our campus and we still have to put up with hot freaking stands and a bunch of sunshine during football games. Unfreakingbelievable.

On top of that no beer. Is anyone surprised our season tickets are not selling out?
Shoot, the Romans did it at the Colosseum. Which, btw, held almost exactly as many spectators as Grant Field. Like this:

upload_2019-5-16_11-2-22.png

Easy, peasey. All you need is some cable, some electric motors (takes the place of the sailors they used), and a whole lot of canvas sheeting. I've been hoping for something like this for decades.

Announcing kickoff times 12 days out is definitely a detriment for most college fans. There are a handful of schools where the vast majority of fans block out the entire Saturday/weekend for a game, but most people are scheduling around kids' sports, weddings, etc.

Most NFL games are at 1p, and I never hear people complain about being "too early" since people know about it 10 weeks in advance (granted, NFL has started some flex scheduling). In college, it's death by a thousand cuts, because fan bases (like ours) have a new reason to complain every Monday with kickoff times are announced.
I think most fans can deal with a 12 day notice, although longer would definitely be better. It's the 6 day notice that is the killer.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Did we really drink Coke on the sideline or are you just being TIC? Part of me thinks it is a ridiculous notion, yet part of me can see it happening in 1970.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Someone on TOS called me on this one, too. I know we drank Cokes in paper cups in 1969 - a manager or trainer was charged with keeping a tray of paper cups filled with ice & Coke. And I have a very vivid image of Carson crumbling & throwing his paper cup at people. Reading the linked article, it looks like it was introduced to the NFL in 1969 & took off from there. After 50 years, it dims as to whether Sgt Edgar Hodges & Head Trainer Pat Dyer sprung for the new fangled Gatorade or stayed with the product from just down North Avenue in 1969 or 1970.

My reclama follows:

"It must have just gone public in 1970. John Reeves, Carlos Alvarez, Jack Youngblood et al were killing people at UF in their heat & humidity & no one understood how they were handling it.

It HAS been a while....."

Gatorade Wiki Link

Animal02

Banned
Shoot, the Romans did it at the Colosseum. Which, btw, held almost exactly as many spectators as Grant Field. Like this:

View attachment 5781

Easy, peasey. All you need is some cable, some electric motors (takes the place of the sailors they used), and a whole lot of canvas sheeting. I've been hoping for something like this for decades.
Forget the motors.....use freshmen rats.

Animal02

Banned
Announcing kickoff times 12 days out is definitely a detriment for most college fans. There are a handful of schools where the vast majority of fans block out the entire Saturday/weekend for a game, but most people are scheduling around kids' sports, weddings, etc.

Most NFL games are at 1p, and I never hear people complain about being "too early" since people know about it 10 weeks in advance (granted, NFL has started some flex scheduling). In college, it's death by a thousand cuts, because fan bases (like ours) have a new reason to complain every Monday with kickoff times are announced.
If I knew a game was going to be at 3:30 three weeks in advance, I could potentially find cheap air, fly in first thing in the morning at out that evening. As it is now, you have to plan on spending two nights, since the game could be anywhere from 11am to 8 pm

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Even if its 1230, playing a scrub team in a non 12 slot is a good deal. Sounds like Collins really listened to this board and the fans. We may have not a 12 game all year, may all be 1230 and later:ROFLMAO: