Kickers

JACKET26

Georgia Tech Fan
We have to prioritize recruiting good kickers. They can make or break games for you. Not saying today would have made a difference but a prior game has and another one easily could. We have to seriously go after whoever we need to, whether it be in Ireland again, or wherever, to get a reliable kicker like BUTtKickER (if we are ever that fortunate again)

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
How much does coaching affect kickers? Current crew inherited Wells who was awesome the year prior. Have cycled through a few others. Then got in a kicker from UT that was at least moderately successful and so far has struggled.

JACKET26

Georgia Tech Fan
How much does coaching affect kickers? Current crew inherited Wells who was awesome the year prior. Have cycled through a few others. Then got in a kicker from UT that was at least moderately successful and so far has struggled.
I don’t think coaching affects it much but doesn’t mean we can’t recruit better ones

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Cimiglia is a good kicker but our blocking is is bad. His miss today was tipped by a guy that got penetration by rushing in between 2 blockers.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
We have a kicker in the upcoming signing class. He looks pretty good, but there aren't many "sure thing" kickers in each class...if any, really. Takes a bit of luck to get a good scholarship kicker out of high school or just bringing in a lot of walk-ins and hoping one works out

"College kickers" are a meme for a reason, though admittedly, we have had a really bad run the last couple of years. Cimaglia is serviceable, IMO

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve noticed on TV that his PATs don’t get much elevation
I noticed that too. He definitely could stand to get more elevation on his kicks especially since we can't seem to block anyone. Overall though he is a good kicker, not great yet but good.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
In my opinion, Gavin Stewart has been one of CGCs best pick ups. Not sure how to quantify field position on the number of touchbacks this year compared to the last two, but I bet is is significant.

Is he the younger brother of a former Tech wide receiver?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, Gavin Stewart has been one of CGCs best pick ups. Not sure how to quantify field position on the number of touchbacks this year compared to the last two, but I bet is is significant.

Is he the younger brother of a former Tech wide receiver?
He does also benefit from the rule changes where a kickoff can be faircaught outside of the end zone. Several of his kicks yesterday did not reach the endzone, they just didn't try to return them.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how to quantify field position on the number of touchbacks this year compared to the last two
Football outsiders attempts to do this in special teams ranking.
Our kickoff efficiency is currently rank 4. Last year we were rank 22 and 2019 we were rank 115.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
He does also benefit from the rule changes where a kickoff can be faircaught outside of the end zone. Several of his kicks yesterday did not reach the endzone, they just didn't try to return them.
My assumption is those have been purposefully elevated to try to force the team to make a bad return.