Kicker

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
WHAT???? CPJ & staff let the kid go.... That is on them. But to say he is not a quality Kicker is crazy....Lets compare

Harrison Butker Freshman year:
XPA: 54 XPM: 53 for 98.1%
FGA:14 FGM:10 for 71%

Corey Munson Freshman year:
XPA: 40 XPM: 39 for 97.5%
FGA:28 FGM:17 for 60.7%

Lets look at his career Stats....

Harrsion Butker Career Stats at Tech
XPA: 210 XPM:208 for 99%
FGA: 60 FGM: 43 for 71%

Cory Munson wanted to be at Tech, the old staff did not want him even as a PWO.... It is what it is... But he looks more like Harrison Butker then the guys currently on the team and that is not Geoff Collins or Cory Munson's fault....
I know you love to post the hottest takes, but you need to learn to read better first. Munson is not an all-american quality kicker (based on his first season stats), which is what I said. He's ok. Butker, Wells, and King all made a significantly higher percentage of their field goals their freshman seasons. Munson is 8-17 for his career on kicks of 30 yards or more, while Brenton King is 6-13, almost the exact same percentage, yet its pretty well understood the King has not been a great kicker. Take out Munson's two chipshots from 0-19yards and he's kicking at 57%, which is a helluva lot closer to King's career average of 53% than it is to Butker's. Wells still has a 90% rate on field goals for his career.

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
Kickoff performance is pretty much pure leg strength ... and GT's kickers this year struggled tremendously in that area. King averaged 57.83 yards per kickoff, Wells was a truly wretched 54.00 yards per kickoff.

"Good" kickers average 60+ yards per kickoff, and the top 20 or so are 62+ ( https://www.footballdb.com/college-football/stats/stats.html?yr=2019&conf=&mode=O&sort=koavg ). Butker, for example, was 62.89 his freshman season and then over 63 every year after that. Butker is a truly elite level kicker, but we haven't even come close to that level of performance since then.

It's a real problem that neither of our kickers are even close to the baseline we should be expecting at that position.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, the old staff DID have a kicker in Wesley Wells, a kicker who was perfect for his career under them. That's great for Corey to get to kick the game winner from 52 yards, but he only made 60% of his FGA on the year and missed a PAT too. Let's not build this kid into an all-american based on 1 kick and act like CPJ is an idiot for not taking him.

Dude I would be happy if we had a kicker who was 60% . Brenton king is under 50 %

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I recall posting Munson’s Hudl and Twitter feeds in the Recruiting Forum on Swarm. Seems he had tremendous distance in HS, even on kick-offs. I didn’t follow his season this year, until I witnessed that clutch 52 yarder on the tube. Someone know his average on KO’s this year?

GTFLETCH

Banned
I recall posting Munson’s Hudl and Twitter feeds in the Recruiting Forum on Swarm. Seems he had tremendous distance in HS, even on kick-offs. I didn’t follow his season this year, until I witnessed that clutch 52 yarder on the tube. Someone know his average on KO’s this year?
Not sure...but in the article it states Munson kicked 3 of 4 KO in endzone for touchbacks.... something we could have had since Georgia Tech was his dream school.

Link
https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/...cle_1df2b46b-ed85-59c4-a595-41f85a987d4a.html

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Watching the bowl games, I have been somewhat surprised how many teams actually do not get their KOs into the end zone.

It would be great to actually do that a majority of the time, but missing PATs & average FGs is vital.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We’re on kicking off 3-4 times a game on average and that’s including the kickoff either to start the game or after the half. What are we averaging a FG a game plus 2 XPs? We need to be worrying about getting the offense on the other side of the field. You don’t need anyone to kickoff or kick FGs if they’re just going to wear a flat spot on the pine during the season.