Kicker Brent King Enters Transfer Portal

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think King's time at Tech points out something that we fans are often loath to admit: the role of injury in player's careers.

If King hadn't suffered a severe hamstring injury that affected his performance for almost two season, he would, I think, have been anther Luke Manget. And it would have started in the first game of the 2017 season. If King had been healthy, we would have beat Tennessee by at least two scores, despite our defensive liabilities. And King would have been the hero and on a high of confidence that would have carried him forward to a solid starting position. Instead, he foundered for most of his career and never lived up to his very considerable promise at Tech. Tech has had a variety of player in similar situations recently - Matt Jordan is the other example - and it has not served the program well.

Well, now he'll have another chance! Good luck going forward, Brenton, and thanks for fighting through the difficult circumstances you faced to make a significant contribution to the program last season! We'll remember that.

Some truth there - just as it is true for every school playing sports.

Deleted member 2897

80% within the 40 is actually pretty tough. Harrison Butker never hit that mark in a single year and hit 66% over his career from within the 40 (including 8/8 from within the 30). Even the guy King was a replacement for, Joseph Bulovas (#1 kicker in 2o17), is 18/23 (78%) within the 40 at Alabama. He's 22/29 (76%) overall. Weirdly, both Butker and Bulovas do much better beyond 40 than between 30-40, but I don't know enough about kicking to explain why. Which is the opposite of King, who was 7/9 within the 40 (and 4/5 between 30-40), but 2/8 beyond the 40.

Well Butker was 14/16 his senior year (88%) and 46/46 on PATs. Doesn't have to be that good indeed. Just be very reliable in close. Flip of the coin outside of the 40.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think King's time at Tech points out something that we fans are often loath to admit: the role of injury in player's careers.

If King hadn't suffered a severe hamstring injury that affected his performance for almost two season, he would, I think, have been anther Luke Manget. And it would have started in the first game of the 2017 season. If King had been healthy, we would have beat Tennessee by at least two scores, despite our defensive liabilities. And King would have been the hero and on a high of confidence that would have carried him forward to a solid starting position. Instead, he foundered for most of his career and never lived up to his very considerable promise at Tech. Tech has had a variety of player in similar situations recently - Matt Jordan is the other example - and it has not served the program well.

Well, now he'll have another chance! Good luck going forward, Brenton, and thanks for fighting through the difficult circumstances you faced to make a significant contribution to the program last season! We'll remember that.
TaQuon was another example of this. If we beat Tennessee in 2017, I think our program trajectory is completely different. I remember being stoked about TaQuon after that game, but losing against the Vols seemed to have lingering effects.

Milwaukee

Banned
TaQuon was another example of this. If we beat Tennessee in 2017, I think our program trajectory is completely different. I remember being stoked about TaQuon after that game, but losing against the Vols seemed to have lingering effects.

We don’t talk about that game. The most pissed off I’ve ever been leaving a stadium that night.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Also, I felt really good about that season after that game...
So did I. But …

I had a sneaking suspicion that losing Mills would lead to us losing 4 - 5 games we should have won. And it did. I like Benson and think he was a good BB, but not having Mills meant losing at UVA and Miami due to playing in the slop. Mills was really good in the wet; I never saw a Tech RB who was better, though Eddie Lee was good too. But with a healthy King, I think we would have won against UT and UVA. And, if Parker hadn't slipped on that block for TaQuon, at Miami too. Shoot, if he'd made that block, TaQuon would still be running.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Weirdly, both Butker and Bulovas do much better beyond 40 than between 30-40, but I don't know enough about kicking to explain why. Which is the opposite of King, who was 7/9 within the 40 (and 4/5 between 30-40), but 2/8 beyond the 40.

Geometry, which Tech fans should know about. The angle increases as the field gets smaller. A strong leg is less important than accuracy the closer you get.