Kicker Brent King Enters Transfer Portal

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Deleted member 2897

Grad transfer.

I hope he finds somewhere to land so he can get a free graduate degree.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I imagine we are still a few over the limit. What is the date we need to get to 85? At the start of summer semester?

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I think we're around 87 now? Not including any walk-ons who might be awarded one. Might need a couple more transfers.

Good luck to Brenton! Hope he finds a good home. Maybe Old Dominion, where he originally committed.

Deleted member 2897

Shoot. I'll take being consistent within the 30!

Exactly, if a kicker can hit like 80% inside the 40, that’s all you need. Consistency, whatever the distance, is what the coaches need, so they know how to call the plays.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Awesome for him that he got his degree. Clears up as scholarship as we definitely don’t want to have 2 scholarship kickers (especially 2 extremely inconsistent ones).

Is Wells still on? I would guess not? I might have missed it.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Awesome for him that he got his degree. Clears up as scholarship as we definitely don’t want to have 2 scholarship kickers (especially 2 extremely inconsistent ones).

Is Wells still on? I would guess not? I might have missed it.

Believe Wells left the team. Wide open competition between the new pwo's and maybe Gandis if he is still here?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think King's time at Tech points out something that we fans are often loath to admit: the role of injury in player's careers.

If King hadn't suffered a severe hamstring injury that affected his performance for almost two season, he would, I think, have been anther Luke Manget. And it would have started in the first game of the 2017 season. If King had been healthy, we would have beat Tennessee by at least two scores, despite our defensive liabilities. And King would have been the hero and on a high of confidence that would have carried him forward to a solid starting position. Instead, he foundered for most of his career and never lived up to his very considerable promise at Tech. Tech has had a variety of player in similar situations recently - Matt Jordan is the other example - and it has not served the program well.

Well, now he'll have another chance! Good luck going forward, Brenton, and thanks for fighting through the difficult circumstances you faced to make a significant contribution to the program last season! We'll remember that.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think King's time at Tech points out something that we fans are often loath to admit: the role of injury in player's careers.

If King hadn't suffered a severe hamstring injury that affected his performance for almost two season, he would, I think, have been anther Luke Manget. And it would have started in the first game of the 2017 season. If King had been healthy, we would have beat Tennessee by at least two scores, despite our defensive liabilities. And King would have been the hero and on a high of confidence that would have carried him forward to a solid starting position. Instead, he foundered for most of his career and never lived up to his very considerable promise at Tech. Tech has had a variety of player in similar situations recently - Matt Jordan is the other example - and it has not served the program well.

Well, now he'll have another chance! Good luck going forward, Brenton, and thanks for fighting through the difficult circumstances you faced to make a significant contribution to the program last season! We'll remember that.

Oof. Don’t remind me of that UT game or that season. We lost so many close games(four or five of our losses were games we had double digital leads in the second half of) in 2017. The only two teams who flat out beat us at the gun start to finish were Clemson and UGA who both went to the playoffs that year. We could have easily had an eight or nine win season. Very frustrating year.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Exactly, if a kicker can hit like 80% inside the 40, that’s all you need. Consistency, whatever the distance, is what the coaches need, so they know how to call the plays.
80% within the 40 is actually pretty tough. Harrison Butker never hit that mark in a single year and hit 66% over his career from within the 40 (including 8/8 from within the 30). Even the guy King was a replacement for, Joseph Bulovas (#1 kicker in 2o17), is 18/23 (78%) within the 40 at Alabama. He's 22/29 (76%) overall. Weirdly, both Butker and Bulovas do much better beyond 40 than between 30-40, but I don't know enough about kicking to explain why. Which is the opposite of King, who was 7/9 within the 40 (and 4/5 between 30-40), but 2/8 beyond the 40.