Keys to stay competitive in game vs Clemson

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yes, pretty much a perfect game AND hope Clemson makes some mistakes. I’m not picking on our guys - this is true for most teams.

I went to the Clemson game in Clemson in 2017, I think. I was talking to a Clemson fan about the programs. He said that he could remember when they hated to see GT on their schedule because we gave them such fits. It would be nice to get back to this point but we are a long way away, unfortunately.
He is probably just being polite as Clemson fans are apt to be most of the time but he may also have been thinking about 2011 when #5Clemson came to Grant Field a huge favorite as an undefeated team and damn if they don't make Tevin Washington look like an absolute wizard running the option. If it makes him feel better we have ruined seasons for Virginia Tech and Miami along the way as well. It is what we do around here from time to time.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
got to not get a bunch of 3 and outs. will tire our defense and bad field position. our secondary will need to play better than any time so far under Thacker.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Zero GT turnovers.

5 to 6 Clemson turnovers would be a big help.

O line and D line showing a big step up over the previous 2 games would be the next things to keep it from being ugly.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We can taunt them. They may become so cross, that they make a mistake.
monty python the french guard GIF

LibertyTurns

Banned
RPO is fundamental to the offense we run. Ditching the base play that your offense was designed around 2 1/2 games into the season is a helluva strategy.

Seriously, if you’re ditching the RPO, that’s not a minor adjustment, that’s tossing out something fundamental. It’s “we’re running a different offense” fundamental.
Last year about 1 in 7 of our play calls were RPO. I’m not sure that rises to the level of a fundamental part of our offense. We probably ran twice as many read option plays.

slugboy

Staff member
Last year about 1 in 7 of our play calls were RPO. I’m not sure that rises to the level of a fundamental part of our offense. We probably ran twice as many read option plays.
It’s the signature play. For comparison, how often did we run the actual triple option out of the flexbone?

Also, the fact that we didn’t run it as often as we should have been able to doesn’t mean it’s not a fundamental part of this offensive system. Patenaude said that we hadn’t instituted most of the playbook last year. When you look at other schools running our offense, they use it a lot, and use it effectively. Without that ability, we’re leaving out a key feature of why you run this offense.

Sure, you can play a piano without chords, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a fundamental part of the instrument.

In this case, it’s not even just the play—it’s a problem of fumbling the mesh. If you can’t run an option mesh, whether for an RPO or a different play, you’re going to miss out on a lot of plays.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
It’s the signature play. For comparison, how often did we run the actual triple option out of the flexbone?

If you can’t run an option mesh, whether for an RPO or a different play, you’re going to miss out on a lot of plays.
It was a very small percentage, maybe 7%. You’d think reading this board it was 75%.

We all might be a lot better off if we understood what we are actually trying to hate.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
"Keys to stay competitive in game vs Clemson" ... this almost sounds like the Polish Army asking how they should prepare to meet the German Blitzkrieg.

In all seriousness, I expect a butt whipping much like Clemson put on South Carolina.
I am all for more historical references on this board. Who knows, we could be the finns in the winter war

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
In the same year that happened, the Soviets thought they would have an easy time of it rolling through Finland. Didn't turn out that way...
Unfortunately I don't see us throwing out a brutal winter before Saturday...

EDIT: Frozen Hell is a great book and highly recommended to any fans of military strategy.