Keys to stay competitive in game vs Clemson

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
What you are saying is that we have to play a perfect game (within reason of course) I will be shocked if we can truly put together even one or two drives against that defense. Unlike some, I think we can stop their offense or at least slow them down but multiple three and outs by our offense will be a killer.
Yes, pretty much a perfect game AND hope Clemson makes some mistakes. I’m not picking on our guys - this is true for most teams.

I went to the Clemson game in Clemson in 2017, I think. I was talking to a Clemson fan about the programs. He said that he could remember when they hated to see GT on their schedule because we gave them such fits. It would be nice to get back to this point but we are a long way away, unfortunately.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
At this point, it looks like our offensive line is just not Power 5 level. They are big but are not able to block consistently to open up the running game or to pass protect at a level required to have a top-level passing game. The quarterbacks play a role in that but at the end of the day, the guys we have playing Tackle, Guard and Center are being outplayed by teams that you would expect them to be better than if not dominate. It's hard to say if Gibbs is not what we thought or just can not get going due to a lack of blocking. it looks to me that Dontae Smith and Mason may be our best running backs. At this point, I think our coaches need to reassess what we are doing on offense and take a real hard look at who is starting. I feel like we have more ability than we are realizing on the offensive side of the ball and with some changes, we could find some improvement. We have to establish a more hard-nosed running game if we hope to generate the best possible outcome for this season.

On defense, we played much better this game and I see some cause for optimism on that side of the ball. Got to have Charlie Thomas on the field as much as possible. Play the best of the guys on the defensive line regardless of seniority. We need to play some different guys at safety. The problems back there are the same they have been for the last several years and thinking it's going to get better is simply whistling past the Graveyard. We have some more talented players and they need to be on the field.

We will have to play our best, coach our best and have some breaks go our way to have any chance at Clemson. It's a shame we are in this position but it is what it is and we need to keep working toward getting out of this hole and restoring our program to prominence. Football is a physical game that has to be played with an attitude of "I am going to kick my opponent's butt". I hope we show more of that going forward. If we don't, we are going to have a tough season ahead.

Go Jackets!

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
That is good advice except that they will likely as not play man to man press coverage and dare us to throw it long knowing their linemen will get pressure and sacks.
I think this is why you got to get Gibbs, D.Smith, McCollum out in slots at times to give them a different look and our speed guys to try and exploited them

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We will have to play our best, coach our best and have some breaks go our way to have any chance at Clemson. It's a shame we are in this position but it is what it is and we need to keep working toward getting out of this hole and restoring our program to prominence.

Go Jackets!

Agree with your point on Charlie. And starting to have similar feelings about Yates. The type of guys who ARE better in real live conditions than maybe what they show the coaches at practice.

As to your second point quoted above, that comment is true for maybe all but a few teams on their schedule these days. it's as much about their program taking the next step up as it is about our decline. Going back to 2010, we have 2 wins and 9 double digit losses. I'm sure that people will point to various outliers in the past 4 or 5 years where a random middle of the pack opponent went toe to toe with them but those are the exception rather than the rule. But to think this is just a recent development is not quite accurate imo.

JoJaTeck

Georgia Tech Fan
I hope they start Yates as he has earned it and the offense seems to run smoother with him right now. Not sure if Sims will be fully recovered anyway

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Stay away from the RPO. run single or two back sets with gibbs or mason in the slot. Defense has to play just as good as yesterday and our O line has to pass protect better. My prediction as of now....... Clem 28- GT 21

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Stay away from the RPO. run single or two back sets with gibbs or mason in the slot. Defense has to play just as good as yesterday and our O line has to pass protect better. My prediction as of now....... Clem 28- GT 21
Tend to agree about RPO. We still look awkward running it. It may be that our OL can’t sustain blocks long enough for the mesh to feel comfortable.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Tend to agree about RPO. We still look awkward running it. It may be that our OL can’t sustain blocks long enough for the mesh to feel comfortable.
The issue (and Ive talked with parents of players who are close to Sims) Patenaude has been feeding Yates different plays, suited to his play style. We have to do the same for Jeff. Now, granted he has a smaller body of work this season than Yates does, but my point remains the same. Jeff doesn't read D very well at the mesh point, so you let him roll out on waggles, veers, misdirections, slants etc and let him find his open man. This has to be the standard because the RPO isnt working. It didnt work when Yates ran it late in the 3rd quarter yesterday and it wont work going forward.
If we can keep calling plays like we did yesterday, we win 8. If we stick with this RPO, we probably win 2 more games.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The issue (and Ive talked with parents of players who are close to Sims) Patenaude has been feeding Yates different plays, suited to his play style. We have to do the same for Jeff. Now, granted he has a smaller body of work this season than Yates does, but my point remains the same. Jeff doesn't read D very well at the mesh point, so you let him roll out on waggles, veers, misdirections, slants etc and let him find his open man. This has to be the standard because the RPO isnt working. It didnt work when Yates ran it late in the 3rd quarter yesterday and it wont work going forward.
If we can keep calling plays like we did yesterday, we win 8. If we stick with this RPO, we probably win 2 more games.
Good insight. Sims doesn’t seem too comfortable with RPO either though. Feels like the timing isn’t down yet.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's also better we get DJ in game 3 of his career. Of course he's talented and well coached, but maybe we can take advantage of his inexperience a little.
I think we are asking our guys to do things they have demonstrated they cannot do. If Clemson has a weakness it is no longer their offensive line, but DJ showed enough inconsistency to make a credible claim to pinching off their passing game. Alas, when all the smoke cleared and the SEC homers finished shouting about Georgia mauling Clemson, it turned out Clemson played very well and still have the playoffs in reasonable range. So, Swinney and Venables wll have them more than ready to play. And those two names vs. their coaches is enough to make it a blowout.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think there is any way we can get a win. Just to be competitive is the best I can hope for. But just to throw something out there, I was thinking about yesterday when someone pointed out that Clemson likes to play the wide receivers with press single coverage. Our receivers as a group look more able to get themselves open than most years. Maybe we can get some big plays out of that. I sure don't see us mounting long drives against Clem. Big plays and lots of turnovers by Clemson is all I've got.

slugboy

Staff member

RPO is fundamental to the offense we run. Ditching the base play that your offense was designed around 2 1/2 games into the season is a helluva strategy.

Seriously, if you’re ditching the RPO, that’s not a minor adjustment, that’s tossing out something fundamental. It’s “we’re running a different offense” fundamental.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If we want to win this game we need a quick passing games, slants and hitchs. UGA had success with short routes against their defense and just failed to score. Swings to the RBS and the occassional downfield shot but we got to get our RBS in space and nullify clemsons DL.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If we want to win this game we need a quick passing games, slants and hitchs. UGA had success with short routes against their defense and just failed to score. Swings to the RBS and the occassional downfield shot but we got to get our RBS in space and nullify clemsons DL.
To counter their pass rush, maybe we could do some rollouts, too.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
"Keys to stay competitive in game vs Clemson" ... this almost sounds like the Polish Army asking how they should prepare to meet the German Blitzkrieg.
In the same year that happened, the Soviets thought they would have an easy time of it rolling through Finland. Didn't turn out that way...

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
RPO is fundamental to the offense we run. Ditching the base play that your offense was designed around 2 1/2 games into the season is a helluva strategy.

Seriously, if you’re ditching the RPO, that’s not a minor adjustment, that’s tossing out something fundamental. It’s “we’re running a different offense” fundamental.
I agree, but it simply isn't working. Its taking far too long for the play to develop. A lot of that is on our O line not being able to hold their blocks. Both Qbs are better with men in motion coming across the backfield, or scrambling outside the pocket. If you want to keep the rpo for designed runs, that's one thing, but running it for the majority of the game will result in more NIU scenarios. But hey... let's sit back and watch.