Keys to stay competitive in game vs Clemson

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Y’all opinions on what we should do to stay some what competitive against them? What game strategy should we imply?

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
-Sustain drives, actually get first downs to control some of the clock and shorten the game. -Defense will have to do all kinds of stunts/twists/blitz etc to get any pressure on their QB.
-can have zero turnovers or unforced errors
-hope Clemson has an off day

Jmonty71

Banned
Two things.... We cannot turn the ball over.... We are going to need every possession. 2nd.... We have to be able to take advantage of what their defense gives us. If its short slants, do it. If we can stretch the field and throw long, do it....

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
With our OL still gelling, I'm not sure we won't get completely shutdown. Got to establish a run game or we won't score. Defense will need to tighten up and get several turnovers, ideally returning them for TDs. Clemson's score yesterday looked pretty similar to ours ( I think 31-3 at half), but they had already played 77 players in the first half.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Try to establish the run.
Lots of misdirection.
Lots of stunts and blitzes.
Man coverage and send everyone else after the QB.
Since we’re huge underdogs, doesn’t hurt to take some risks.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
In 2019, Clemson beat us 52-14. In 2020, they beat us 73-7. I’d be extremely happy if we stayed within 3 TDs.

We probably need to be +3 in the turnover battle.

We can’t afford to have more than 20-25 yards in penalties.

If we drive inside their 30, we have to get a minimum of 3 points.

If we drive inside their 10, we have to get 7 points.

CGC has to call a perfect game.

I am most interested to see how the battle in the trenches goes, particularly when we are on offense. They have owned us in this area and I’m looking for improvement.

slugboy

Staff member
  1. The players need to keep their cool. Have a light coat of sweat, but don’t get nervous. Come out ready to attack.
  2. Clemson’s offensive line is vulnerable. Not very vulnerable, but they can be attacked. Our DLine has to show up.
  3. This might be Keion White’s first game. Let’s hope he’s ready.
  4. Our offensive line has to play their best game in years, especially out between guard and tackle.
  5. The tight ends have to show up in blocking and receiving.
  6. Clemson is going to try to take a couple of things away, and those things will be our running game. It’s everybody’s strategy so far this year. Don’t expect to see a lot of long runs. If you do, be extra excited, because it’s a special play.
  7. Eley needs to get his feet better than he did in game 1. Otherwise, LB corps looks pretty good.
  8. Our secondary has to play much better. This is their Super Bowl, and they need to play like it.
  9. Whatever special stuff the coaches have kept under wraps, it’s time to pull some of that out.
  10. We need to make Clemson punt, and we need to shut down Clemson’s gunners on punts.
  11. We’ll need a working FG unit.
(edit: fixed typo)

Last edited:

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
It's also better we get DJ in game 3 of his career. Of course he's talented and well coached, but maybe we can take advantage of his inexperience a little.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Talent is lopsided in Clemson’s favor. Positive turnover margin, our best execution and our coaching staff’s putting in a game plan that gives us a chance will determine the outcome.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
We need to keep the score close by halftime. That can be done with sustained offensive drives where we eat up clock. A combination of our running game with short, quick passes can be done. This can enable our defense to be well rested going into the 2nd half. This can also go a long way to building confidence within the team.

If we win the coin toss, I may still want to defer to receive in the 2nd half. Let the defense get established early.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Two things.... We cannot turn the ball over.... We are going to need every possession. 2nd.... We have to be able to take advantage of what their defense gives us. If its short slants, do it. If we can stretch the field and throw long, do it....
That is good advice except that they will likely as not play man to man press coverage and dare us to throw it long knowing their linemen will get pressure and sacks.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
In 2019, Clemson beat us 52-14. In 2020, they beat us 73-7. I’d be extremely happy if we stayed within 3 TDs.

We probably need to be +3 in the turnover battle.

We can’t afford to have more than 20-25 yards in penalties.

If we drive inside their 30, we have to get a minimum of 3 points.

If we drive inside their 10, we have to get 7 points.

CGC has to call a perfect game.

I am most interested to see how the battle in the trenches goes, particularly when we are on offense. They have owned us in this area and I’m looking for improvement.
What you are saying is that we have to play a perfect game (within reason of course) I will be shocked if we can truly put together even one or two drives against that defense. Unlike some, I think we can stop their offense or at least slow them down but multiple three and outs by our offense will be a killer.