Key/Thacker Praised by Herbstreit

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
"Georgia Tech has been getting plenty of praise for their performance against North Carolina on Saturday and one of the main voices of that support has been ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit. Herbstreit had Georgia Tech listed as one of his top teams of week 12, but that was not all. He also listed interim head coach Brent Key and defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker as two of the top coaches of week 12."

More here.

1669120682777.png

Last edited:

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
"Georgia Tech has been getting plenty of praise for their performance against North Carolina on Saturday and one of the main voices of that support has been ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit. Herbstreit had Georgia Tech listed as one of his top teams of week 12, but that was not all. He also listed interim head coach Brent Key and defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker as two of the top coaches of week 12."

More here.

View attachment 13563
Not GT related except that the GT of the SEC has had two impressive wins in a row.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Honestly not too many people thought it was a bad hire…until he started talking and playing games.

I was worried. Only because he had never been anywhere longer than two years and thus never really developed talent. Then he started speaking and i was concerned. Then we started playing.... I however didn't expect DP to be as bad as he was or our defense to be that bad.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree he does show us love, but he also said we made a great hire when we brought in CGC:)
I rememeber he was excited for CGC because of his connection to O'Learly, and how Tech was playing smash mouth defense back then. He thought that is where Tech was going, not what actually happened.

Ryan

Georgia Tech Fan
It seemed like most, if not all, of the national media thought Collins was a great hire. There were multiple takes that we were a sleeping giant and Collins was going to get us back into the national conversation. It didn't seem too far fetched after that first recruiting class either.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah that was before we knew what we were in for unfortunately. Either way, Herbie loves GT and it's nice to see
I had the opportunity to have a cup of coffee with him once. I was in a coffee shop in Columbus Ohio (his hometown at the time) and it was sometime during the holiday season. We met in line and I was wearing a GT hat back in the days of Lil' Joe and GOL. We started talking college FB and we continued the discussion after being served. Two takeways - first of all, he was not just a talking head, you could tell he loved the game as much as the average schmuck in the stands or on the message boards. Secondly, I was blown away about how much preparation he must do in his job. His discussion of our team extended past an awareness of both Lil' Joe and GOL, which any casual fan back then would have known. He was aware of our roster, key players and the coaches on the staff as well. As knowledgeable as all but the most die hard GT fan at the time. I kept thinking how does a guy know this much about 1 random team? Could he speak at the same level about Iowa State? Arizona? Syracuse? If so, he must have spent as much time away from the camera doing his homework. All in all, he was a very gracious and engaging person and I have been a huge fan ever since.