Key lost the HC job today?

stigs02jrt

Banned
Heck no. I didn't see any glaring coaching errors. The team played hard and didn't quit. He had the guts to play a true freshman QB and it was actually okay. 2nd half was much better for offense, I bet Key got in Long's ear about opening up the playbook at halftime. The onside was a great call.

Fact is we just have no talent. Our RBs are weak. Our OL is bad. Our receivers can't separate. Key is overachieving with this bunch.

Unless it's Deion, I don't see any coaches making a big difference. He's the only one that can bring in TALENT.

stigs02jrt

Banned
We have some guys that can play, just not enough of them. A great coach probably could get 2 or 3 more wins out of this group and get to a bowl game. Deion is not the answer. We need a coach that maximizes the effort out of the players we have and that will develop them.
We're not competing with anyone without better talent and Deion can get it. I'd say key is maximizing our talent right now

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I don't think it's a fair assessment yet of key. He's really limited on what changes he can make mid season. I will say that I'm a little more worried about him as a HC vs when he just took over the team.
The kids seem to respond well to him but many of the issues we are having go well beyond what he can fix at the moment.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It's not fair to Key, but the reality is that even had he gone the rest of the season with close losses to the big teams and gotten us to a bowl game, he will likely not be kept on. In reading the messages from Cabrera and ADJB, they talk about how important the fan base is. We need a unified fan base for a while, and retaining any vestige of the former regime likely causes as much trouble as it could potentially solve from a PR standpoint. Frankly, I like Key. My hope is he moves on from here, develops his HC credentials elsewhere, and comes back home to GT down the road if we need him.

JacketFan137

Banned
We have some guys that can play, just not enough of them. A great coach probably could get 2 or 3 more wins out of this group and get to a bowl game. Deion is not the answer. We need a coach that maximizes the effort out of the players we have and that will develop them.
at some point talent hits a ceiling and even the best coach can’t get them to perform at the level of our competition. deion may or may not be the answer but the fact is he will bring better players in. that’s a pretty important piece of the pie for a program to be successful

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Whether it's fair or not, this partial season is what we have to judge him on. We can only keep Key if we think he is our best option, we can't be iffy on him.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
He can't make them bigger, stronger, faster. But he can make them more focused, more familiar with their assignments, and more disciplined. Simplify and execute.

Has this happened? What do you think after the last two games?

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Heck no. I didn't see any glaring coaching errors. The team played hard and didn't quit. He had the guts to play a true freshman QB and it was actually okay. 2nd half was much better for offense, I bet Key got in Long's ear about opening up the playbook at halftime. The onside was a great call.

Fact is we just have no talent. Our RBs are weak. Our OL is bad. Our receivers can't separate. Key is overachieving with this bunch.

Unless it's Deion, I don't see any coaches making a big difference. He's the only one that can bring in TALENT.
You were spot on, until you mentioned deon.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
at some point talent hits a ceiling and even the best coach can’t get them to perform at the level of our competition. deion may or may not be the answer but the fact is he will bring better players in. that’s a pretty important piece of the pie for a program to be successful

You have no way of knowing this

JacketFan137

Banned
You have no way of knowing this
i mean we have reality to show this and to deny that is to just deny an objective truth of college football

to win consistently year over year at the power 5 level you have to recruit well and bring in better talent than we have throughout the last 2 decades. it’s possible to catch lightning in a bottle with a great senior class you developed, but teams like that are often lightning in a bottle and are unable to sustain success.

recruiting makes things like injuries less impactful as you’re bringing on better talent. your team will be practicing against players that are better. it all compounds on top of each other.

i’m not saying we need to recruit at a top 5 national level as that is ridiculous and unachievable at a school like tech. we should be recruiting consistently in the top 20-30 and that would line up more with fan expectations of being a 7-10 win team year over year.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
i mean we have reality to show this and to deny that is to just deny an objective truth of college football

to win consistently year over year at the power 5 level you have to recruit well and bring in better talent than we have throughout the last 2 decades. it’s possible to catch lightning in a bottle with a great senior class you developed, but teams like that are often lightning in a bottle and are unable to sustain success.

recruiting makes things like injuries less impactful as you’re bringing on better talent. your team will be practicing against players that are better. it all compounds on top of each other.

i’m not saying we need to recruit at a top 5 national level as that is ridiculous and unachievable at a school like tech. we should be recruiting consistently in the top 20-30 and that would line up more with fan expectations of being a 7-10 win team year over year.

I agree with all this. I don't think there is any way of knowing whether sanders can do it.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It's not fair to Key, but the reality is that even had he gone the rest of the season with close losses to the big teams and gotten us to a bowl game, he will likely not be kept on. In reading the messages from Cabrera and ADJB, they talk about how important the fan base is. We need a unified fan base for a while, and retaining any vestige of the former regime likely causes as much trouble as it could potentially solve from a PR standpoint. Frankly, I like Key. My hope is he moves on from here, develops his HC credentials elsewhere, and comes back home to GT down the road if we need him.
I think your right, he was probably never in serious consideration. If he had gotten us to a bowl and Tech didn’t hire him that would have been a bad look, so in some ways it may be a bit of a saving grace PR-wise that things are going as they are. I am very appreciative of what he’s done- we beat some teams, we may beat a couple more. keeping the wheels from totally falling off and keeping a modicum of respectability that would not be here if CGC was still the coach.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow

The secondary was less than ideal today. There were a lot of penalties. This hardly looked like a well coached team. I can’t blame it all on key. I honestly can’t get past the fact that collins ran this program into the ground and now we are stuck finding out way out. Unfortunately for key, we need an entire overhaul that will invigorate the fans and donors.

On another note, I loved the way 14 looked today. The ball was on point all afternoon and he was tough. He is the future without a doubt.