General News about Key and his Staff

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Do you really think Key sat there for 3 years at his alma mater, watching it fail for reasons he clearly sees, and tried to do nothing about it?
I dont either but he wasn't going to abandon ship. Choice and Coleman jumped, for greener pastures, because they saw it wasn't getting any better. Key had the associate head coach title so he was just waiting, knowing what the result would be.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I dont either but he wasn't going to abandon ship. Choice and Coleman jumped, for greener pastures, because they saw it wasn't getting any better. Key had the associate head coach title so he was just waiting, knowing what the result would be.
I had a similar situation in my work career. Worked for a guy that temporarily blinded the powers that be that he reported to at the corporate HQ in another location. This guy was a buffoon, bully, power hungry *******. Long story short, I put up with it knowing the inevitable outcome (although I did what I could to minimize his damage) and didn't want to leave (although I would have made that decision eventually if things had remained status quo. Eventually there was a reassignment/shakeup due to the obvious performance decline when people who talk their way into jobs that they are incapable of performing and I got his job. He stayed at our site but I fired him about 3 months later. Maybe the first and only time I actually enjoyed firing anyone.

the tl;dr version of the above.....your scenario is extremely plausible. And a smart move by CBK....it was obvious where the train was headed.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
the tl;dr version of the above.....your scenario is extremely plausible. And a smart move by CBK....it was obvious where the train was headed.

I don't know why people continue to bring up cooperate analogies like they make any sense in relation to coaching. When a coach is fired mid year the expectation is that the entire staff is gone. When Bowden was fired from Clemson (or stepped down mid year), Dabo called his wife and told her that he (meaning Dabo himself) had been fired, but worse was made interim. There is no chance Key stayed around knowing that Collins would be fired expecting to be promoted or even be retained when that happened. If that happened at the end of the year, this year or last year, Key wouldn't have had a snowball's chance in Athens of being retained much less promoted. Hell, if we weren't hamstrung by money he probably doesn't get the job even in the situation we had. Promoting from within happens when coaches leave to take other jobs. They very rarely happen when coaches are fired and it's damn near unheard of when coaches are fired for bad performance on the field. And the examples you can look at, Dabo replacing Bowden and Orgeron replacing Miles at LSU, were programs in significantly better shape.

Where the train was obvious headed was Key being unemployed. The result is the train grew wings, turned 170 degrees and flew to the north pole.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why people continue to bring up cooperate analogies like they make any sense in relation to coaching. When a coach is fired mid year the expectation is that the entire staff is gone. When Bowden was fired from Clemson (or stepped down mid year), Dabo called his wife and told her that he (meaning Dabo himself) had been fired, but worse was made interim. There is no chance Key stayed around knowing that Collins would be fired expecting to be promoted or even be retained when that happened. If that happened at the end of the year, this year or last year, Key wouldn't have had a snowball's chance in Athens of being retained much less promoted. Hell, if we weren't hamstrung by money he probably doesn't get the job even in the situation we had. Promoting from within happens when coaches leave to take other jobs. They very rarely happen when coaches are fired and it's damn near unheard of when coaches are fired for bad performance on the field. And the examples you can look at, Dabo replacing Bowden and Orgeron replacing Miles at LSU, were programs in significantly better shape.

Where the train was obvious headed was Key being unemployed. The result is the train grew wings, turned 170 degrees and flew to the north pole.

I think Key seeing the writing on the wall and knowing, based on his current title, he’d be the interim head coach and wanting that experience is a perfectly believable scenario. He may not have thought he would get the job full time, but it’s not insane to think he thought being interim coach at his Alma matter could lead to SOMETHING somewhere if he produced results.

Plus we already know South Carolina tried to get Key and Choice and Key used that as leverage for a pay raise and more say in the offense. He clearly wasn’t happy with Collins’ direction at that point.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought Semore would’ve stayed LB coach seeing he was nominated as LB coach if the year
Well technically him becoming the full time special teams coordinator is actually a promotion over a position coach. I suppose it's a ++ situation Semore proven work ethic will go along way for STs and still be in loop with everyone and the new LB who has a recruiting and solid pedigree gets to help with Marco continue to build up those defensive units.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I thought Semore would’ve stayed LB coach seeing he was nominated as LB coach if the year
It seemed from my untrained eye that Semore did a better job as LB coach than ST coach. That's the one thing I don't get about the shuffling, how it wound up that Semore kept STs but lost linebackers. The new LB coach Sherrer has a strong resume, and I get why he was hired, but it's just odd the way STs fell to Semore again for 2023. Maybe he'll do a great job with STs now that he only has that area to concentrate on. Meanwhile, incoming RB coach Norval McKenzie had a spectacular record as ST coach at Ark. St. One thing stands out, though - the area that needed to be consolidated was (DL), while the areas that needed to be separated (LBs, STs), now have their own dedicated coaches concentrating on just those areas. That's a good aspect of this reorganization.

Overall, this whole staff seems to be shaping up very well and after seeing what I've seen thus far, I trust Brent to make it work and if something doesn't, he'll fix it. It's clear he's going to do whatever he deems needs to be done. He's a proactive coach who has already infused a boatload of energy into this program.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So we hired a guy from #1 team that coached up the qb.
Then hired an NFL star to return and coach up the DL

Guess we need an NFL coach to round out the staff

We are Alabama lite

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Sherrer is coaching linebackers over Thacker AND Semore. That might make you think that he's stellar with linebackers. I hope so.
I’d say Ace and Charlie helped make Semore’s job alot easier. The changes does make one wonder if the plan is to go back to an odd front defense as Sherrer has generally coached 3-4 linebackers and add in dropping 2 DL coaches to just 1.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Key is looking more and more everyday like a "fixer" and as someone already said if it ain't the right fix he'll fix it again until it's right but he'll have to go with what he has at some point and make it work. Guessing we're at that point about now. I like what we're going with.
Looks like we finish out what we need in player personnel and start building our team for next fall.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Sherrer is an NFL coach, he coached LB with the Giants in 2020 and 2021. He worked under Dabol, assuming via Ala connection. No info on what he did in 2022 that I see. Not sure what being let go by Giants means.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Sherrer is an NFL coach, he coached LB with the Giants in 2020 and 2021. He worked under Dabol, assuming via Ala connection. No info on what he did in 2022 that I see. Not sure what being let go by Giants means.
Being let go by an nfl team means very little assistants are often only signed for 1 or 2 years and then they move about. What likely happened was he was scapegoated