General News about Key and his Staff

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Looks to me like Thacker is getting some real help for his growth as a DC. Key is trying to help the kids, coaches, program, seems to be constantly trying to add to and help, signs of a successful leader IMO. Also, these guys all seem to be really good recruiters, not to be overlooked. Things seem to be coming together real nicely.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I think we finally have a staff of football guys rather than cheerleaders. I’ve been harsh on Key not giving the previous guy a code red, but he’s earning me back (although the scoreboard is really all I care about after 4 years of word diarrhea). One game I seriously thought Marco Coleman was gonna bust the previous guy right in the face. Thacker is the last cheerleader left, but as a young coach he had to appease his boss so I get it. He also showed us something after Key took over. I’m looking forward to the position group battles and see who emerges.
I honestly like Thacker and how fired up he gets. I feel like his emotion is authentic unlike TFG.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Ha ha Coleman at his finest - even MSU gives him props!

Now someone change it to GT…

1672886121996.png

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting Semore being moved to full ST coach... While he done a good job at LB and splitting ST coach responsiblities. Technically the full time ST coach really is a promotion probably even seen a small pay bump. He's always talked highly of Semore and seemingly awarded him with a full time coordinator position in one of the 3 primary coordinator positions

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
If you look at Coleman recruting record you got to be extremely excited for one... He was responsible for some of our bigger gets past few years and those kids will be glad to see him back and two look at his class of DL at MSU 2022 basically 3 guys in top 40 DL recruits even with MSU having a down year. Key must have wanted to slap Collins for letting him get away

I know we are talking about Alabama/Mutts/Vols but Kevin Sherrer recruiting resume is loaded too

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Curious what Zeek thinks now that we know MC is coming back. It looks like he was recruited primarily by Larry Knight and Geoff.

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
If you look at Coleman recruting record you got to be extremely excited for one... He was responsible for some of our bigger gets past few years and those kids will be glad to see him back and two look at his class of DL at MSU 2022 basically 3 guys in top 40 DL recruits even with MSU having a down year. Key must have wanted to slap Collins for letting him get away

I know we are talking about Alabama/Mutts/Vols but Kevin Sherrer recruiting resume is loaded too
Look at the locations Sherrer is picking kids from too! We’ve got strong Georgia roots with a man that looks like he has a knack for sending kids to the NFL

https://247sports.com/Coach/Kevin-Sherrer-1785/AllTimeRecruits/

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
The thing that I really like about HCBK is that he really seems to know what he is doing as a HC. His experience with Saban is very evident, IMO.
Determined, decisive , disciplined. Compared to TFG, who I never really felt had those traits. Many times his teams just seemed unprepared for a game- mentally, physically , scheme wise, and the results showed that. Really getting pumped about the FB program again and can't wait for spring ball !

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The thing that I really like about HCBK is that he really seems to know what he is doing as a HC. His experience with Saban is very evident, IMO.
Determined, decisive , disciplined. Compared to TFG, who I never really felt had those traits. Many times his teams just seemed unprepared for a game- mentally, physically , scheme wise, and the results showed that. Really getting pumped about the FB program again and can't wait for spring ball !
I never felt that game preparation and schemes were very good. Too many blow outs and losses to lower division schools. Now we are finding out practices were not preparing the kids either. Key took over and with players already in the program he competed with most of the other ACC teams on an equal level. Says to me we have a core of decent players. Now get some play makers and look out.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I never felt that game preparation and schemes were very good. Too many blow outs and losses to lower division schools. Now we are finding out practices were not preparing the kids either. Key took over and with players already in the program he competed with most of the other ACC teams on an equal level. Says to me we have a core of decent players. Now get some play makers and look out.
We basically heard that Coleman had a fundamental difference of opinion with Collins on running things. We have heard alot about this and I suspect it all centered around game practices and preparation. It seems Marco is excited to come back. Michigan State took a huge hit with injuries on the DL last season but a good bit of positive talk about Coleman work in recruiting and overall work on D line that he had to work with.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

So we could have really used someone like Key on staff to help instill those values. Wish we had that.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
All I can say at this point is WOW. I was cautiously optimistic for Key the way he showed signs of turning the program around. But he seems to really get the basics. Being able to get so much extra budget to hire coordinators.

I am SO ALL IN! I am going to make another donation just for seeing the total coaching line up.

The thing Tech will always have an issue with is: Fans asking the question. Is Tech Athletics spending my money wisely? There may be a lot of money in the alumni group. But they are smart money and don't like to see it wasted.

As much as we all complain about that, it is never going to change. Alumni will be stingy if the money is being spent poorly So The AD department has to be smart with our money and that will make the money really start to flow!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
So we could have really used someone like Key on staff to help instill those values. Wish we had that.
I was a very experienced senior level engineer with my company. I was asked to be part of a middle managers staff. During staff meetings there was discussion about strategy appraisals budget etc. I would give my opinions along with other department managers. Our boss ultimately made the final decision and that's what we went with. I sometimes agreed and other times I didn't but once the decision was made i went with it. I suspect the same with a football staff. The choice usually comes down to accepting the situation or leaving the organization.