General News about Key and his Staff

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
FYI.....

The American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) Annual Convention starts on Sunday in Charlotte (LINK).

There's always a lot of movement in the college coaching ranks as the lookers and the lookees get together.

Just sayin'.......
Lots of interviews at Convention as well.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Since this was a big controversy under TFG with some people saying year 3 was really year 0 or 1, let's go ahead and hash this out. By year 1.5, do you mean the end of this coming season? Halfway through the following season? Halfway through the season after that once he's gotten a full year to recruit his guys? If another bad wave of Covid comes around, do we reset back to zero?
I mean that HCBK had "half" a year already. Sure, he coached eight games, but he didn't get to control spring training and the fall practices, etc. So, he's had half a season give or take.

Next year will add a full year to his resume; hence, I wanna call next season year 1.5.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
FYI.....

The American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) Annual Convention starts on Sunday in Charlotte (LINK).

There's always a lot of movement in the college coaching ranks as the lookers and the lookees get together.

Just sayin'.......
If CBK does have someone else already tied up, then it was a class move to let the other two go so they will have a chance to find a new gig for next year.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Screenshot_20230104-170825_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
This is interesting for multiple reasons:

• David Turner and Larry Knight looked good together. Will Marco be able to fill that gap? How much of Marco's coaching was inhibited by Collins? Our DL didn't look great under him, compared to this year.
  • We also still have 1 on the field staff to fill as well. How will this be filled? A true ST coach. Another defensive coach? Who is taking up the defensive recruiting responsibilities that we lost under Knight?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
You guys straighten me out, but seems to me like we did not recruit that well under Collins other than his first full recruiting class, seems like it was in the top 30, but other than that not much.

slugboy

Staff member
Thacker covered LBs in 2021, and didn’t have a position group this season. Maybe he takes over LBs again.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I’m honestly not really sure if I like getting Coleman back in place of Knight and Turner. From the outside it seems like Key is really putting together a competent, solid coaching staff, but I hope Thacker and the defense doesn’t regress again.

I’ll admit I don’t know what MSU lost from their 2021 team, but they had 43 sacks then and only 29 in 2022 with Coleman.
Tech in 2022 had 28 sacks with Knight and Turner and only 20 in 2021 with Coleman.

I know in 2021 Keion White wasn’t healthy, and he was supposed to be one of our best pass rushers, which was proven true this year. But you also have guys like Jordan Domineck who had 3.5 sacks in 2021 at Tech, and then 7.5 in 2022 at Arkansas. Jared Ivey had 1.5 in 2021 at Tech, and 3.5 in 2022 at Ole Miss.

Sack numbers aren’t solely reliant on who the DL coach is, but there are definitely some numbers in there that make you raise your eyebrows about this move.