General News about Key and his Staff

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Air Raid is coming to

I got excited after I read some of OC Buster Faulkner's offensive philosophy, some version of the Air Raid is coming and I can't wait.
Honestly, we seem to be going after a 4 WR set from our HS and portal pickups. We don't seem to be too concerned about TE, so maybe you're right.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, we seem to be going after a 4 WR set from our HS and portal pickups. We don't seem to be too concerned about TE, so maybe you're right.

If you have a weakness, scheme around it. Minimizing formations with TEs is one way. Possibly moving Leo Blackburn into receiving TE, or motion him into a TE (which can create mismatches).

That's what good OCs are paid for. Personally, I'm excited to see what the different minds in the offensive room comes up with.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If we are indeed getting Crawford for WRs coach, one underrated aspect of him being a high school coach for a long time is that he’s used to coaching raw players who haven’t developed and refined their technique yet. So it may allow us to have more success with receivers who have the physical traits but still need some development.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If we are indeed getting Crawford for WRs coach, one underrated aspect of him being a high school coach for a long time is that he’s used to coaching raw players who haven’t developed and refined their technique yet. So it may allow us to have more success with receivers who have the physical traits but still need some development.
Good point. Crawford looks like a great get for Tech. His receiver corps at WKU performed spectacularly, and he has oodles of connections to Georgia high schools from his days coaching some of the best programs in the state. I think Key knocked this one out of the park.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I have a question about the consultants. Are they still helping us with the assistant coaching hires?
I didn't think much of them before, but if they are I have to say they're doing a great job identifying good targets. Somebody's doing a good job because these look like some sneaky good hires to me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

He also had to scout and develop at the G5 level which means developing and identifying "under the radar" type recruits. At GT, that is REALLY important. His WRs were highly productive in that offense so I don't doubt it'll translate to this level.

Crawford is kind of similar to Tashard Choice in that he's only been in the college game for a short period of time, and he's gotten fast tracked to the P5 level. Don't forget he was promoted to Co-OC after 1 year at WKU which tells you this guy was identified as a high level coach not just a position guy.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Watching all the hires has me wondering...

I realize that some major names have changed, but eo we have the same NUMBER of coaches that we had last year? And did we drop one assistant/position coach in order to pick up an assistant/position coach for a different position group? If so, does this tell us anything about the change in emphasis for next season?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
If you have a weakness, scheme around it. Minimizing formations with TEs is one way. Possibly moving Leo Blackburn into receiving TE, or motion him into a TE (which can create mismatches).

That's what good OCs are paid for. Personally, I'm excited to see what the different minds in the offensive room comes up with.
I agree completely. It's a relatively young staff that I hope will bring some "fresh blood " to our play calling. I think Key has made good hires on offense, and retained Weinke, and feel he will let them scheme whatever gives us the best chance to win.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
@Techster love the moniker of a “coaches lab” and agree it could be a lot of fun to approach this almost like a writer’s room for a tv show. Same actors but new shades of personality and utilizing the right scheme for where you are (facing the D or availability of guys on O) could be really fun if we can pull it off.

I know you can’t make whole sale changes but showing. Formation where we have tape rubbing a speed option AND air raid concept at different points in the year would be a lot to handle and coach in prep week - not to mention process as a player on the field.

Line up - BAM quick hitting option that exposes a team in cover 2 shell; next 1st down line up the same way and throw over the top when the safeties start cheating in.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
@Techster love the moniker of a “coaches lab” and agree it could be a lot of fun to approach this almost like a writer’s room for a tv show. Same actors but new shades of personality and utilizing the right scheme for where you are (facing the D or availability of guys on O) could be really fun if we can pull it off.

I know you can’t make whole sale changes but showing. Formation where we have tape rubbing a speed option AND air raid concept at different points in the year would be a lot to handle and coach in prep week - not to mention process as a player on the field.

Line up - BAM quick hitting option that exposes a team in cover 2 shell; next 1st down line up the same way and throw over the top when the safeties start cheating in.
EXACTLY !!:gt::buzz:

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching all the hires has me wondering...

I realize that some major names have changed, but eo we have the same NUMBER of coaches that we had last year? And did we drop one assistant/position coach in order to pick up an assistant/position coach for a different position group? If so, does this tell us anything about the change in emphasis for next season?
As far as on-field coaches the numbers are the same, and the roles are basically the same.

From last year to this year, the replacements are as follows:

TFG -> Key (HC)
Long -> Faulkner (OC/TE)
Daniels -> McKenzie (RB)
Key -> Wade (OL)
Alexander -> Crawford (WR)

There will probably be different emphases, but I don’t think the allocation of coaches is going to particularly change (aside from Weinke having more of a say in the offensive game plan).

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
As far as on-field coaches the numbers are the same, and the roles are basically the same.

From last year to this year, the replacements are as follows:

TFG -> Key (HC)
Long -> Faulkner (OC/TE)
Daniels -> McKenzie (RB)
Key -> Wade (OL)
Alexander -> Crawford (WR)

There will probably be different emphases, but I don’t think the allocation of coaches is going to particularly change (aside from Weinke having more of a say in the offensive game plan).
Apart from the obvious changes in the Top Two, is seems to be generally agreed that the other three changes (as well as the s/c coach) are UPGRADES, yes?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Apart from the obvious changes in the Top Two, is seems to be generally agreed that the other three changes (as well as the s/c coach) are UPGRADES, yes?
That will remain to be seen. Given how a lot of staff members have performed better both before and after working for Collins, it’s hard to parse out that impact. I don’t know that Wade is a better OL coach than Key, but I expect he’ll have better results. McKenzie should be a step up from Daniels but a step down from Choice. I never got a good read on Alexander, but our WRs other than McCollum didn’t seem to improve much, so Crawford should be an upgrade.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree completely. It's a relatively young staff that I hope will bring some "fresh blood " to our play calling. I think Key has made good hires on offense, and retained Weinke, and feel he will let them scheme whatever gives us the best chance to win.
Weinkes resume has gravitas...for those who appreciate and understand that...I sensed Zack Pyron being one of them..

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have a question about the consultants. Are they still helping us with the assistant coaching hires?
I didn't think much of them before, but if they are I have to say they're doing a great job identifying good targets. Somebody's doing a good job because these look like some sneaky good hires to me.
I would think Key is the one hiring the assistant coaches and would think he talks to the DC and OC to see if they would all work together. ( but what do I know I drink too much)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I would think Key is the one hiring the assistant coaches and would think he talks to the DC and OC to see if they would all work together. ( but what do I know I drink too much)
I'm sure he's hiring them, but I didn't know if the consultants were advising him by identifying prime candidates. At any rate, the staff has shaped up quite nicely.

JacketFan137

Banned
That will remain to be seen. Given how a lot of staff members have performed better both before and after working for Collins, it’s hard to parse out that impact. I don’t know that Wade is a better OL coach than Key, but I expect he’ll have better results. McKenzie should be a step up from Daniels but a step down from Choice. I never got a good read on Alexander, but our WRs other than McCollum didn’t seem to improve much, so Crawford should be an upgrade.
i’m praying our WR coach is better cause man, we did not get any separation last year. in college your qb should be getting easy looks all day and it seemed like we were asking pyron, sims and gibson to make some really tight window throws way too often

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
i’m praying our WR coach is better cause man, we did not get any separation last year. in college your qb should be getting easy looks all day and it seemed like we were asking pyron, sims and gibson to make some really tight window throws way too often
These Western Kentucky WR stats are freaking crazy... You have to seriously be outscheming and having your units performing well to get these results

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221223_230927_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221223_230927_Chrome.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20221223_230938_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221223_230938_Chrome.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 45

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Nate will make a big mistake if he leaves the sort of potential this offense offers with him as the featured receiver. Really hope someone talks some sense into him.