General News about Key and his Staff

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Blame our "money people". They wanted to get rid of anything related to the option. Remember TFG coming in and saying we would run an "NFL" based offense? He was following orders. Hiring Patenaude for that offense was a poor fit.
What Pat's excuse at Temple? Their offense was horrible there under him and it had nothing to do with TFG trying to avoid the option offense from the previous staff. Coach Pat was a poor fit for any P5 program wanting a competent offense.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
What Pat's excuse at Temple? Their offense was horrible there under him and it had nothing to do with TFG trying to avoid the option offense from the previous staff. Coach Pat was a poor fit for any P5 program wanting a competent offense.
I am the farthest thing from a Patenaude apologist (I never liked the hire and he did nothing to change my opinion), I will say that I think Collins forced him away from his offensive scheme at temple. The temple offense under him looked nothing like the coastal offenses. I think Collins is likely some to blame.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Could be personnel. I don't think Temple had a Jeff Sims/James Graham/Tobias Oliver dual threat type while at Temple.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I am the farthest thing from a Patenaude apologist (I never liked the hire and he did nothing to change my opinion), I will say that I think Collins forced him away from his offensive scheme at temple. The temple offense under him looked nothing like the coastal offenses. I think Collins is likely some to blame.
There are no FEI statistics for FCS programs so it is hard to see how effective his offenses at CCU were relative to their competition, but coach Pat has never coordinated an offense that has been even close to average at the FBS level.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, that's not what happened.
The $ people tired of the option and wanted it gone. It is more correct to say that TFG used this knowledge and former ADTS's fixation on branding to sell his interview and secure the job. As long as TFG sold this vision, ADTS was going to be in his corner. Under these circumstances, Patenaude was a round peg going in a square hole.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know if Patinaude is a good coordinator with or away from TFG, just that he was a poor fit for what TFG was trying to sell at GT.

1976jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks for doing this.

I sort of expect the offense in Key's tenure to be more hard nosed run based. That seems to fit his personality, but I could be 100% wrong.
At the very least I am expecting a pretty balanced offense.

FWIW, I don't think hiring Key (and who he is hiring as assts) is likely to provide a huge boost in recruiting. At the end of the day it is still GT, and Key was promoted from a staff that was an abject failure. So I don't expect to see as big of a recruiting jump as you sometimes see when a new HC is hired. With Key and a majority of the staff staying the same I think it is likely to be more gradual - recruits are going to have to see Key's program win before they are willing to jump on board.
I agree. Key has to overcome the 3 years of awful play and it will take awhile.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Key has to overcome the 3 years of awful play and it will take awhile.
I hate to put it this way, but it looks to me like he believes the style of play that UGa has used is the style to emulate, within limits. They are tough, run-based on offense. They dominate on defense. They do just enough to control every game and win without stressing or humiliating their opponents. I suspect that Key respects Smart and what he has accomplished at UGa. One can be competitive as hades and want to beat the other guy's team badly, and still respect what he has done as a professional.

I agree it will take a while to build our program back, although with the portal, not *quite* as long as it used to. If it would have taken 3 years before, I'm guessing 2 years nowadays.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I hate to put it this way, but it looks to me like he believes the style of play that UGa has used is the style to emulate, within limits. They are tough, run-based on offense. They dominate on defense. They do just enough to control every game and win without stressing or humiliating their opponents. I suspect that Key respects Smart and what he has accomplished at UGa. One can be competitive as hades and want to beat the other guy's team badly, and still respect what he has done as a professional.

I agree it will take a while to build our program back, although with the portal, not *quite* as long as it used to. If it would have taken 3 years before, I'm guessing 2 years nowadays.
Smart and Key both saw what worked while working under Saban, what worries me is trying to beat uga at their own game. I think we can win a lot of games in the ACC with this model but trying to beat a vastly more talented team with the same plan is going to be very tough, like the Gailey years tough. Maybe great coaching coupled with a talented class will push us over the top occasionally?

ATLNative99

Georgia Tech Fan
Whoever is responsible for the DL needs to be looked at for consideration of keeping as well, was a much improved squad this year. In fact, most of the defensive staff I would be cool with keeping.
Definitely! Defensive staff showed improvement as the season progressed, for sure, particularly once they were given autonomy to make decisions.

ATLNative99

Georgia Tech Fan
Work Weinke more into running the whole offense '23, see how he does (CBK's call) and maybe make him OC '24 when CCL's contract is up. I'm for keeping most of the defensive staff in place, increasing Thackers $. I'm wondering if CBK maybe brings an up and coming young coach along for OL with CBK working with him, great opportunity for a young man IMO, good for us. Key has already said he turned the defense over to Thack when he was made interim. I liked what I saw( Thacker ). We do have to replace some pretty good players.
Wonder if our punter can be coached up, seems he takes too many steps or too long, think I have seen a multi step punter make the change successfully somewhere before. I bet there is someone somewhere that is good at helping them do just that.
Totally agree about keeping Thacker and the defensive staff. Made improvements -- and necessary adjustments.

ATLNative99

Georgia Tech Fan
And I'm trusting Key has done it that way, which is a good way to go.

However, I'm also hoping we don't wind up in another scenario like we did with Charles Kelly, where FSU came and made him an offer he couldn't refuse while we were trying to scare up the money to keep him. In this case, the money's there - hopefully it wouldn't be about Thacker taking a sure thing that's on the table versus waiting around for us to make up our minds.
Totally agree. Thacker is looking around now, too, which is a shame and which wasn't his plan. Key should let his defensive staff know that's he's keeping them ASAP. Why mess with the part of the program that showed immediate improvement after Collins left?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Lol. Maybe if uga does pay GT for Faulkner’s services for this period of time can we make sure these funds go into the “competitive drive campaign bucket” and we can double it and perhaps have it be the amount needed to max out the match (3.5 million). We would essentially get to double down in the funds for GT athletes on uga’s dime. Lol