General News about Key and his Staff

Eli

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, these were the years prior to the Leach hire. Dan Mullen turned MSU around, not Leach.

It’s easy to pull stats out to fit any argument but the facts are Mississippi State and Washington are in the bottom 10% of college football for winning percentages. Texas Tech had been in the middle of the pack. But I assume you believe because a guy won 10 games 10 years prior to a coach arriving they should always win? Would you consider Vandy a bottom dweller or no because James Franklin went to a bowl 10 years ago? Would we consider Ohio State a top 5 program all time because they have a top 5 winning percentage or because of what they did 10 years ago?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It’s easy to pull stats out to fit any argument but the facts are Mississippi State and Washington are in the bottom 10% of college football for winning percentages.

That's all time. Pitt has 9 National Championships. Does that make them a powerhouse? I generally try to look at the last 10-20 years of a program to get a feeling as to where they are. I think that's a much fairer way of assessing a program, wouldn't you agree? Or do you honestly think a programs record from 1900-1990 defines where a program is today?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It’s easy to pull stats out to fit any argument but the facts are Mississippi State and Washington are in the bottom 10% of college football for winning percentages. Texas Tech had been in the middle of the pack. But I assume you believe because a guy won 10 games 10 years prior to a coach arriving they should always win? Would you consider Vandy a bottom dweller or no because James Franklin went to a bowl 10 years ago? Would we consider Ohio State a top 5 program all time because they have a top 5 winning percentage or because of what they did 10 years ago?

Vandy has been to 6 bowls in 20 years but has otherwise been the doormat of the SEC east. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison to MSU, which will go to it's 13th straight bowl, and 14th in the same time span as Vandy.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
That's all time. Pitt has 9 National Championships. Does that make them a powerhouse? I generally try to look at the last 10-20 years of a program to get a feeling as to where they are. I think that's a much fairer way of assessing a program, wouldn't you agree? Or do you honestly think a programs record from 1900-1990 defines where a program is today?
I prefer to to use the range of 1900 to 1989 for non relevant national championships .

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
By this argument Kansas State is still a bottom dweller since their winning percentage is lower than Mississippi State and Washington State. At the time Bill Snyder took over, the program was definitely in that category, but recent history has changed the narrative.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
LOLOL

Mississippi State- Has an all time winning percentage of .494 has only won the sec west twice 1998 and 1941 they have one conference championship and that was in 1941.

Texas Tech- Has an all time winning percentage of .552 they have 11 conference titles 9 of which came between 1937 and 1955. Their most recent conference title was in 1994 and they finished the year 6-6. They have one division title and that came in 2008

Washington State- Has an all time winning percentage of .498 with 4 conference titles 1917, 1930, 1997 and 2002 their only division championship came in 2018 (once again under leach)

So idk what you consider a bottom dweller but I would consider teams that have below a .500 all time winning percentage have been to less than 35 bowls combined and going 80 years in between conference titles a bottom dweller.

Edit: Texas Tech ranks 58th all time winning percentage, Mississippi State 92nd and Washington State 95th. With a minimum of 100 games played.
Hell, Tech has 4 more SEC Championships that MSU and more championships than 6 of the 14 current members (soon to be 8). We haven't been in the league in over 55 years.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
By this argument Kansas State is still a bottom dweller since their winning percentage is lower than Mississippi State and Washington State. At the time Bill Snyder took over, the program was definitely in that category, but recent history has changed the narrative.
Bill snyder had to come out of retirement to resurrect the program a 2nd time

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
As I said in my first post on this, I hope he does well. I also said I have no idea if he will do well or not. I just do not think this was as great hire as I was hoping to see. Maybe we were turned down by everyone else, but I am not impressed with the hire.

I would say it feels like that fonts are looking for any reason to blast anyone who does not tow the company line and who expresses anything but a completely positive view about the HCBK and his staff. The circling the wagons is typical.
I don't agree that people are looking the blast anyone who doesn't tow the company line. The circling the wagons from the opposite point of view is also typical. From my point of view I see people who talk ONLY about the negative and reasons why there will be failure (not saying people are HOPING for failure) and likewise people who ONLY talk about the positive and why there can only be success. Both groups have many valid points. But a lot of people (you're actually not one of them) struggle to acknowledge that the other circle of wagons could possibly have a valid point.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just speculation on my part, but it wouldn’t surprise me to find out P’nut wanted to try something like this but TF(1F)G absolutely forbade it from happening because it would involve admitting some parts of an option offense might work and the transition wouldn’t have been as historical.

I wrote in another thread that Patenaude's offense at GT was a watered down version of what he ran at Coastal Carolina. Patenaude ran option, and even triple option, to go along with his passing attack. I haven't really dug too far into what Patenaude ran their in terms of their passing offense, but I have zero doubts he ran the staple route concepts of the Air Raid (4 Verts, Stick, Mesh, etc). Most passing games at every level run some degree of the Air Raid staple passing plays. He ran them at GT as well. His QB at Coastal had over 11,000+ yards in total offense during his career there and broke the conference record for QB rushing TDs.

It kinda makes me angry that CGC basically hand cuffed our staff (from multiple reports) and all of our coaches couldn't coach up to their full potential. Offensively, we had James Graham, Tobias Oliver, and Lucas Johnson who would have been REALLY good in Patenaudes Coastal Carolina offense. CGC valued appearances over production...that offense could have been SO MUCH more better those first two years had Patenaude gotten to unleash Graham/Oliver/Johnson in the option run game.

Last edited:

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
It kinda makes me angry that CGC basically hand cuffed our staff (from multiple reports) and all of our coaches couldn't coach up to their full potential. Offensively, we had James Graham, Tobias Oliver, and Lucas Johnson who would have been REALLY good in Patenaudes Coastal Carolina offense. CGC valued appearances over production...that offense could have been SO MUCH more better those first two years had Patenaude gotten to unleash Graham/Oliver/Johnson in the option run game.

Blame our "money people". They wanted to get rid of anything related to the option. Remember TFG coming in and saying we would run an "NFL" based offense? He was following orders. Hiring Patenaude for that offense was a poor fit.