General News about Key and his Staff

ole ball coach

Georgia Tech Fan
I wonder if that's what Kirby whispered to Coach Key when they shook hands, "if you get the job, you should seriously consider Buster for OC"?

Buster is a Parkview graduate and should have some very good relationships with HS coaches in Georgia. Amazing college career as a QB at a couple of stops. I think I may have even mentioned his name before here but not sure? Working with Monken and at UGA the last couple of years isn't a bad look on the resume.
Looking forward to seeing what he can bring to GT if he is truly the choice!

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thoughts on the Geep Wade hire?

Other than hoping it's not pronounced 'Jeep'..

AppSt board seems mixed. Some say good riddance. Others say, if he was so "bad", why're 2 of their OL named 1st team all conference and 1 named 3rd team? Seem to be including TE in that.

It's not an exciting hire. But I'm not worried about the OL position. Key (results under TFG notwithstanding) is considered one of the best OL coaches out there. I have to imagine it's less Key looking for a difference maker in that position, than Key looking for someone that fits his philosophy for training and scheme. He also needs to be smart with his budget.

So, not every position is going to be a 'big name'. (Nor are 'big names' always better.)

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Chris Weinke coached RB’s at Tenn. in 2018. I’m guessing he gets a dual role, since Faulkner has always been a QB Coach along with being an OC?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Maybe not OC for one of the CFP teams, but on staff with one of them...
That is certainly possible.

I think Brent and Chris know who they want. This person may, indeed, “already be in the bag.”

I’m not worried, as I’m willing to wait for the announcement when it comes.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Thoughts on the Geep Wade hire?

Other than hoping it's not pronounced 'Jeep'..

AppSt board seems mixed. Some say good riddance. Others say, if he was so "bad", why're 2 of their OL named 1st team all conference and 1 named 3rd team? Seem to be including TE in that.
And we all know that message boards are a great source of unbiased, non agenda driven thoughts.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean he just played a huge part in putting a former 2 star into the Heisman finalist and is coming from the best program in College Football and is also from Georgia. Also go watch us play MTSU in 2012, he was calling plays that day.

He was OC at MTSU, Arkansa State, and South Miss. when and in his tenures they put very good #s and had some QBs playing out of there mind

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
I can get behind this hire.

So we have OC Buster Faukner, QB Chris Weinke, OL Geep Wade… we just need RB and WR coaches, right?

Is Don Eley being retained at RB coach? I didn’t realize he slid into that role until I just checked ramblinwreck

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Maybe you guys can educate me on this, because I do not understand the dislike of Thacker and how that impacts any decision on the OC. With CGC in place this season we surrendered 37 ppg (Omitting WCU) and without him Thacker improved that to 27 ppg.
The average ranking for the 3 teams Collins coached against was 26 in Sagarin as of last week. The 8 teams that Thacker faced without Collins ranked 52. Don't you think that had something to do with it? And if you take number 1 Georgia out, the 52 number goes up since none of the other 7 were even in the top 30.

Collins was nominated for the Broyles award as DC at two SEC schools but he was holding Thacker back? Right.....

GT Swarm: Emotion over objectivity.