General News about Key and his Staff

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Leach's health issues have been rumored for a bit now...and there was some talk that he may step down this offseason:

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Why not Ellis?
Seems like another unproven crapshoot in my opinion, but I could be wrong.

He is also a QB coach so unlikely with us keeping Weinke that we hire a OC that likes to be a qb coach.

Not to mention, I see Key wanting a run first O, and that doesnt seem like Ellis.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems like another unproven crapshoot in my opinion, but I could be wrong.

He is also a QB coach so unlikely with us keeping Weinke that we hire a OC that likes to be a qb coach.

Not to mention, I see Key wanting a run first O, and that doesnt seem like Ellis.
he was successful at WKU and served as WR coach there besides QB coach.

I'm not in favor for or against Ellis, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a crapshoot anymore than anyone else. and he doesn't have to be a QB coach if Key doesn't want him to be

stech81

Helluva Engineer
1670800373521.png

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The weird thing that stands out to me about Wade is the 3 year coaching gap.
After his one season as OC/OL at UT Martin he did not coach again until 2021. He coach at GA Southern in 2021.
It then looks like Tulane hired him to be their OL coach for 2022 but App State came along and hired him away before he coached any games.

Why did he not coach for 3 years- from 2018 to 2021?

This also raises the question of how attractive the coaching positions are at GT regardless of money spent. Key reportedly has almost a 1/3 more to offer assts, but the 2 hires so far are an S&C coach who was at one of the worst G5 schools in the FBS and an OL coach from one of the best G5 schools in FBS. The S&C Coach does have P5 experience but the OL coach has just one year (as a GA) at the P5 level despite almost 20 years of coaching.

These are certainly not splash hires in any way. Hopefully they are really good coaches though who can help the players develop.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
You'd think someone would have started a thread on Geep's hire. Does this mean this is a disappointing hire?

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We are a developmental program. We will bring in elite assistant coaches and develop them to their full abilities to be hired away. Look at UNC with Phil Longo, Mack developed and made him into one of the best OC in nation. Now that Phil is developed to beyond elite OC, he is ready to move on to Wisconsin. ACC will become the feeder school s. J/k

That aside I think we need to adjust expectations and understand going the Clemson route only works, if you have money to hire the top. I think we need to set a strategy to hire young up and comers early and become a place they can make a name for themselves. With lower salaries we quickly move on and hire the next up and comer, wether they fail or succeed. I think the differences between coaches are not as great as some think. We need to change mind set to consulting, where we want to get you in make you grind, move up or out. All about churn.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

From the article:
"While it seems like Wade has a lot of experience, it all comes from lower levels, and I will say that I am a bit concerned that he has not spent more than a year at a single school since he was at ECU.

I am very hopeful for this hire (and very encouraged that he’s already on the recruiting trail), especially given that Brent Key is a former offensive line coach, but I am concerned that he seemingly has more money for assistants and wasn’t able to secure a bigger name..."