General News about Key and his Staff

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Just listened to the HCBK news conference and I must say, we hired the right man for the job...
His love for the Institute and his passion for the program tells me we are soon to start trending in the right direction.

He even mentioned our "in state opponent"
Just pointing it out, but very similar things were said about CGC when he was hired.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The ultimate hires/contracts of Deion and Chadwell. Some of the other contracts getting signed. Makes me feel more like the truth is closer to what Batt said to the team - that they completed an exhaustive search of candidates. Did their due diligence. They likely had in depth conversations with several agents about deals - possibly concurrently. 'Signable offers' may or may not have been made. At the end Batt decided that Key was the best option for Tech.

Versus the narrative that Tech was just cheap or didn't have the money to hire whoever.

IMHO, Deion and Chadwell's contracts are big gambles and 'dumb' money. From places that aren't necessarily rolling in it. Freeze at Auburn is a huge gamble, but stupid money is what Auburn does best. CFB is going through massive changes all through the system. There's going to be unexpected consequences. I'm personally happy for Tech to be 'smart money', right now.

Key's been around, he has lots of contacts and he's seen Weinke's coaching up close. That the OC hasn't been announced makes me think me he did his due diligence. If he hires Weinke, I'll believe it's a smart decision.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
The ultimate hires/contracts of Deion and Chadwell. Some of the other contracts getting signed. Makes me feel more like the truth is closer to what Batt said to the team - that they completed an exhaustive search of candidates. Did their due diligence. They likely had in depth conversations with several agents about deals - possibly concurrently. 'Signable offers' may or may not have been made. At the end Batt decided that Key was the best option for Tech.

Versus the narrative that Tech was just cheap or didn't have the money to hire whoever.

IMHO, Deion and Chadwell's contracts are big gambles and 'dumb' money. From places that aren't necessarily rolling in it. Freeze at Auburn is a huge gamble, but stupid money is what Auburn does best. CFB is going through massive changes all through the system. There's going to be unexpected consequences. I'm personally happy for Tech to be 'smart money', right now.

Key's been around, he has lots of contacts and he's seen Weinke's coaching up close. That the OC hasn't been announced makes me think me he did his due diligence. If he hires Weinke, I'll believe it's a smart decision.
Key in his press conference said they are currently interviewing several candidates for OC but we’ll see.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Well the one thing he has over Weinke is that he’s been an OC before
True. But so has Patrick Nix and I'd rather have Weinke than PN (PS I liked Patrick personally when I had the chance to meet him at, of all places, the little league baseball fields watching Bo play in the league where I volunteer... he was just another parent enjoying watching his kid and he really did just watch, he didn't try to be a helicopter parent or get in the way of the people coaching the team).

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I really dont want weinke as OC either. Qb coach is fine. But this godsey as OC nonsense is let’s just hire someone who played at tech to fill an opening. He’s not been good as an OC.
I can agree with you there. I think we have better options than both.
True. But so has Patrick Nix and I'd rather have Weinke than PN (PS I liked Patrick personally when I had the chance to meet him at, of all places, the little league baseball fields watching Bo play in the league where I volunteer... he was just another parent enjoying watching his kid and he really did just watch, he didn't try to be a helicopter parent or get in the way of the people coaching the team).
Exactly! We have a track record by which to judge Patrick nix from, because he was an OC at a major college before.

We have a brand new HC. I would prefer he have a veteran OC at his back. Just my preference.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Exactly! We have a track record by which to judge Patrick nix from, because he was an OC at a major college before.

We have a brand new HC. I would prefer he have a veteran OC at his back. Just my preference.
I completely understand that and respect that preference. I honestly don't know what I prefer at this point. My point was specifically about Goose being preferable to Weinke and if the only qualification is that he's actually been an OC before then that's not enough of a qualification for me to think he'd be a better option. I wasn't addressing the generic case of having a more experienced OC vs Weinke who has not been an OC.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Key in his press conference said they are currently interviewing several candidates for OC but we’ll see.
Sean makes an excellent point. None of us know the offensive coaches that Brent Key is interviewing.

It’s also possible that Weinke is being or has already been interviewed.

Coach Key is in charge now. It’s his team, and it will be his coaching staff.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Not sure what position Tee Martin is interviewing for? He’s WR Coach with the Ravens. Played QB for Tenn. My guess is GT has a QB Coach already in Weinke, who shouldn’t be moved.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Where did you hear this?
Tee Martin's interviewing here? He's a candidate for an OC job with the Bills:

Might have been a Zoom Interview?
Just because these coaches like Riley, Baker, Martin, talk to our HC, doesn’t mean a job has been offered or accepted. Could be for a referral or reference.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Who is Key most likely to hire as S & C coach? It was interesting to hear during his press conference just how much of an emphasis he puts on the S & C of the mental and physical conditioning that takes place in the weight room. He also said that it will start once the student athletes return from Christmas break so I assume the person will be in place prior to that deadline?
OC hire most likely is high priority?