General News about Key and his Staff

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Furman Bisher called them "the hanging jury in the West Stands". My parents and I sat in the middle of them and they were hard to please. This one guy in front of us was typical. That old geezer had to be 75 if he was a day (or about 8 years older than I am now but I digress) Tech would have the ball, might even score...not a sound out of him. Then, when Tech was on defense, the other team makes a first down and boy howdy would he get agitated. He would start muttering: "Where are you at, Tech?" I thought it was funny, unless they scored then it wasn't funny.
First year of season tix for me was '87. I thought, I'll mingle with the big wigs in the lower west. One season of sitting among those zombies was more than enough. I moved my seat to UE never to return to the West Stands.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
lew seemed like a great dude but i do wonder if he was that good at his job. S&C is one of the biggest difference makers for a program by far and i don’t think we had too many games we were able to impose our will on people
There was considerable controversy over what was alleged to be "staged" improvements in the weight room shortly after idiot Collins took over. It is alleged that a bunch of the guys were "pre-exhausted" before establishing their "baseline" for stuff like "how many 225 bench presses can you do" in order to make the "after" number under Collins/Caralla seem like a dramatic improvement.

That sounds more like something Collins would do but Lew had to know about it. I'm guessing Key found the deception to be distasteful at a minimum. I was stunned at how fast Key dumped Caralla.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Has Nathan Brock formally from Ohio state always been on staff until the tech as an office of line coach? I saw him standing next to one of the recruits in a picture states of Georgia tech offensive line
Nathan Brockis in his second season as a graduate assistant coach at Georgia Tech. He works primarily with the Yellow Jackets’ offensive linemen.

Brock came to Georgia Tech from Ohio State, where he was an offensive lineman for the Buckeyes for five seasons (2016-20). He graduated from Ohio State in December 2020 with a bachelor’s degree in communications analysis and practices.

The Powell, Ohio native graduated from Olentangy Liberty H.S., where he played football for four years and basketball for two years.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It is always interesting how people are interpreting these actions. Caralla wasn't the only one let go quickly. There could be many reasons they were let go. From what I've read a S&C coach is very important to execute a coaches vision because they basically are the off-season head coach. For such an important roll, they have to be aligned totally. CBK may have someone he is closer too, that he wants in this role. That doesn't mean Caralla is bad at his job. I think the Long and Alexander are better examples of CBK seeing their impact, and realizing we need to move on, as from reports, he seems to have recommended them.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Work Weinke more into running the whole offense '23, see how he does (CBK's call) and maybe make him OC '24 when CCL's contract is up. I'm for keeping most of the defensive staff in place, increasing Thackers $. I'm wondering if CBK maybe brings an up and coming young coach along for OL with CBK working with him, great opportunity for a young man IMO, good for us. Key has already said he turned the defense over to Thack when he was made interim. I liked what I saw( Thacker ). We do have to replace some pretty good players.
Wonder if our punter can be coached up, seems he takes too many steps or too long, think I have seen a multi step punter make the change successfully somewhere before. I bet there is someone somewhere that is good at helping them do just that.

More than a step problem. Too many short/shanked punts and too many line drives with no hang time for good coverage. Time for a change.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
From what I've read a S&C coach is very important to execute a coaches vision because they basically are the off-season head coach. For such an important roll, they have to be aligned totally. CBK may have someone he is closer too, that he wants in this role. That doesn't mean Caralla is bad at his job.
It doesn’t mean he’s bad at his job, but the fact that he accepted a role at Charlotte so quickly and not a larger program probably means he’s not great at his job either.

Seems like he’s a great speaker and motivator, mediocre strength coach.

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
Caralla definitely added some mass to our players. There’s a couple dudes that look like they could compete in bodybuilding. However CBK has seen what Nick Saban wants from a football strength perspective, and knows what wins in that aspect. For that reason, I wholeheartedly trust his decision.
Our recruiting is obviously different from bama, but I think we’re about to start churning out some hard nosed m*****f*****s. Some Rueben Foster take your girl dudes. We might hear hits from the top deck again.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

This basically means Thacker and Winke (yes I butchered that spelling, I know.) are staying. If they were being let go they wouldn’t be out on recruiting trips. This is good, as IMO they’re two of the best coaches Collins hired. Thacker really gained my respect this season.

Good news. From this fan's perspective, Key is keeping the coaches who are doing a good job and losing the ones who aren't. He's putting the Tech house in order.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Between urban planning and 1960s GT radio men, I forgot that we were supposed to discuss OCs
There was considerable controversy over what was alleged to be "staged" improvements in the weight room shortly after idiot Collins took over. It is alleged that a bunch of the guys were "pre-exhausted" before establishing their "baseline" for stuff like "how many 225 bench presses can you do" in order to make the "after" number under Collins/Caralla seem like a dramatic improvement.

That sounds more like something Collins would do but Lew had to know about it. I'm guessing Key found the deception to be distasteful at a minimum. I was stunned at how fast Key dumped Caralla.

This is 100% true that the 225#s were snowed

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Between urban planning and 1960s GT radio men, I forgot that we were supposed to discuss OCs

This is 100% true that the 225#s were snowed
Garrett Riley for OC!

Regarding previous 225s, appearances over results. Our program is already better because of the change.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Vodka = ethanol + water. The starch source for the ethanol is immaterial. Lots of sugar beets and wheat are used to make vodka. But I digress.
And column distilled rather than pot, which strips most flavors. A gross simplification, but basiscally why vodka is so ''clean'.