ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Was Long terrible?
YearFEI OffenseFEI Offense Rank
2022-0.70108
2021-0.1778
2020-0.2998
2019-0.3594

I pulled a few numbers because I thought Long would be below average, and “terrible” would be hyperbole. I was wrong.

There is play calling, and there are a lot of other facets of being an OC. Patenaude’s time here was terrible. Long’s was actually worse. The last two games looked better, but it’s rumored that Weinke called those games.

There’s the temptation to say “yeah, but Collins made him worse and messed up practice”. Collins did that with Patenaude too, and Long’s numbers are worse. There are lots of things that were weaker this year than last. Maybe Patenaude was above average and Collins dragged him down; but that would still leave Long below average on a team that needs coaching up.

—————————

As for keeping Long and the offensive staff for a year, it costs us money when we’re really low on money. That hurts. I completely understand a strategy of “stabilize the team, get people back in the stands, let the players actually learn Long’s scheme better, and standardize the terminology so that you can plug and play OCs later”.

It’s guesswork, but I don’t think Long would get much better next season if he thought it was his last. On the plus side, it’s a “contract year” and you want to look good in a contract year. On the negative side, you’re not your best self when your foot is out the door and you’re spending time networking for other jobs. Your recruiting probably takes a massive hit, unless you can convincingly say “come play for me” when you know you’re gone in six months.

I’ve also said that it really hurts a coach to have two transition seasons. If you can afford to improve you coaching staff today, do it as soon as you can afford to.

This leaves us paying coaches not to coach—at least one. I hope Key knows some good coaches and we can find the funding.
I think your take is fine. I don’t agree with others though who seem to blame him for everything.

For starters, he inherited an awful QB situation and (according to rumors) not allowed to foster competition between Sims and Pyron (Pyron on scout team)

Sims last year had a QBR good for 12th in the ACC.

He inherited an OL that was 98th in sacks allowed last season and only compensated sack rate for being 61st in offensive line yards generated.

He didn’t recruit the TE who have consistently been our worst performing group, and from what I heard coming in, his primary scheme looked to take advantage of TE’s (my guess being he had to change some of his offensive philosophy to account for this).

Given all the shortcomings, do I think he elevated from his predecessor? No, but I also don’t think he called the “get Sims injured” play against Duke, nor do I think he told Collins to organize practices in a way to make the team underperform. I feel like Long wound up being the wrong choice, but he doesn’t deserve the vitriol that seems to be pointed his way.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Would it be fair to assume that not ALL former failed HC's would or should be considered? ;)
Mainly thinking younger coaches, who may have been given HC position too soon. Not saying it will always work, however these coaches are still early in their career and want to redeem themselves. I think Marcus Arryo, Will Healy, or Jake Spavital are good examples.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Shame on you... And you were staff at one time too... You should know better... :)
My "retirement" here (sorry the attorneys for all parties won't allow further elaboration) was made more palatable by the package I left with. I was able to dazzle the higher ups when first signing on with some eloquent razzle dazzle. And they fell for it!!! Look into it, it's a sweet gig. I would elaborate but it's my turn to tee off. Let me set my cocktail, phone and cigar down and ask the beer cart hostess to get off my lap. ;)

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
My "retirement" here (sorry the attorneys for all parties won't allow further elaboration) was made more palatable by the package I left with. I was able to dazzle the higher ups when first signing on with some eloquent razzle dazzle. And they fell for it!!! Look into it, it's a sweet gig. I would elaborate but it's my turn to tee off. Let me set my cocktail, phone and cigar down and ask the beer cart hostess to get off my lap. ;)
Just let us know when you take up the post of co-assistant moderator for the Nebraska fan board. :ROFLMAO:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Everybody knows that position has already been filled by @GCdaJuiceMan. :p

Seriously though, if there's ever been a case for a name change, this is it right? Do we need to start a petition to help this guy out?
I don't want to speak for him but he has already addressed this. I think this handle is a hair shirt that he has donned in response to being so quick to fall in love 4 years ago. He doesn't want to forget and will wear it like a scarlet letter of shame that he has self imposed. At least that is what I got out of it. Have to respect it. We can see what he says when he chimes in.

slugboy

Staff member
I think your take is fine. I don’t agree with others though who seem to blame him for everything.

For starters, he inherited an awful QB situation and (according to rumors) not allowed to foster competition between Sims and Pyron (Pyron on scout team)

Sims last year had a QBR good for 12th in the ACC.

He inherited an OL that was 98th in sacks allowed last season and only compensated sack rate for being 61st in offensive line yards generated.

He didn’t recruit the TE who have consistently been our worst performing group, and from what I heard coming in, his primary scheme looked to take advantage of TE’s (my guess being he had to change some of his offensive philosophy to account for this).

Given all the shortcomings, do I think he elevated from his predecessor? No, but I also don’t think he called the “get Sims injured” play against Duke, nor do I think he told Collins to organize practices in a way to make the team underperform. I feel like Long wound up being the wrong choice, but he doesn’t deserve the vitriol that seems to be pointed his way.

I don't usually go with "he made the wrong play calls". That makes the game seem too much like Madden, and it's not. Long's play calls made sense but didn't give you the idea that he had a master plan behind his moves. It's hard to see a master plan on a 3-and-out, though. I think there's enough evidence that he's not a "coach them up/developmental OC". Also, although he didn't personally recruit the tight ends, you usually recruit an area and not a position, and we didn't get great performance out of that position. I think they're probably fine athletes and capable of more than they got a chance to show on Saturdays.

Finally, I think if Key thought Long was a net plus or could even just work with him for another year, Long would still be here. Key has enough on his plate without coaching turnover, and coaching continuity is a good thing when you can get it. Key saw his offensive coaches every day and thought he could do better. In fact, I'd say he thought he had no choice but to make a change.

My working theory and my hope is that he already has replacements in mind; better yet, I hope they're already planning to join. He may be taking a risk, but it's a lot safer to have your migration plan in place before you make a big change, and Key has just gone for a major restructuring.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I can’t give my source up, especially after what’s happened to Ken at the AJC. So do not ask, please. Stech81 is going to be happy to hear that CBK has been talking to Garrett Riley. Have no other information, but will update if I hear more later on.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Possibly next week. Word is Key is focused on reeling guys back in from or out of the portal and staffing changes as of now.

Have to say, this is an example of what I love about coach Key. He got the job and went right to work. Official announcement press conference won't help win us any games, so not a priority.

Big difference from TFG.

The quotes from Gregg Garrett in Ken's AJC article, along those lines, were very encouraging me.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I can’t give my source up, especially after what’s happened to Ken at the AJC. So do not ask, please. Stech81 is going to be happy to hear that CBK has been talking to Garrett Riley. Have no other information, but will update if I hear more later on.

Obviously we would all love Garrett Riley, but why would he come here? It’s a side grade at best.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
A couple things.

1. Might be the worst kickoff coverage I’ve ever seen. And I’m a tech fan. I’ve see some bad ones

2. Those stands are packed. It’s amazing to think what could be happening in Bobby Dodd

3. Appreciate you sharing that. Good to know some history a few years before I was even born. Go Jackets !
This is a tangent, but give credit to Tech... at the 22/23 sec mark, the return “wall” was a thing of beauty. Five guys shoulder to shoulder with the returner behind. Perfect!
You mentioned being 30, so you may not even be aware, but as I recall the rules for KO return were changed to prevent this. It used to be the “textbook” approach to blocking a kick return. Someone else can set me straight but is it still illegal or just not done anymore? I remember discussions about safety concerns being the primary reason it went away. I don’t see it anymore and I don’t think I’ve seen it penalized, but then again it’s rare to see a kickoff even get returned these days...

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Beyond him (along with basically every other reporter) getting the Fritz 'hire' wrong. Is there more to this comment? Is he in hot water with GT or something?

It’s just a credibility/reputation hurt. Plus if he was purposely fed bad information, it’s also a trust issue with his sources for the future. And as a journalist, those two things are basically everything.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
This is a tangent, but give credit to Tech... at the 22/23 sec mark, the return “wall” was a thing of beauty. Five guys shoulder to shoulder with the returner behind. Perfect!
You mentioned being 30, so you may not even be aware, but as I recall the rules for KO return were changed to prevent this. It used to be the “textbook” approach to blocking a kick return. Someone else can set me straight but is it still illegal or just not done anymore? I remember discussions about safety concerns being the primary reason it went away. I don’t see it anymore and I don’t think I’ve seen it penalized, but then again it’s rare to see a kickoff even get returned these days...
IIRC we ran to the other side in previous returns and caught them leaning the wrong way.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't usually go with "he made the wrong play calls". That makes the game seem too much like Madden, and it's not. Long's play calls made sense but didn't give you the idea that he had a master plan behind his moves. It's hard to see a master plan on a 3-and-out, though. I think there's enough evidence that he's not a "coach them up/developmental OC". Also, although he didn't personally recruit the tight ends, you usually recruit an area and not a position, and we didn't get great performance out of that position. I think they're probably fine athletes and capable of more than they got a chance to show on Saturdays.

Finally, I think if Key thought Long was a net plus or could even just work with him for another year, Long would still be here. Key has enough on his plate without coaching turnover, and coaching continuity is a good thing when you can get it. Key saw his offensive coaches every day and thought he could do better. In fact, I'd say he thought he had no choice but to make a change.

My working theory and my hope is that he already has replacements in mind; better yet, I hope they're already planning to join. He may be taking a risk, but it's a lot safer to have your migration plan in place before you make a big change, and Key has just gone for a major restructuring.
I definitely wasn't impressed when we hired him, and I don't think he did anything to warrant him being retained (apart from the sunk cost of his salary). I just feel like he was dealt a bad hand, and then proceeded to not play his hand particularly well either.

"Also, although he didn't personally recruit the tight ends, you usually recruit an area and not a position, and we didn't get great performance out of that position."
I guess I really just meant to say that TE's haven't been productive for us at any point under the previous OC, and that it was something that Long was not capable of working around.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
We should all be praying for Coach Klein

Waterboy Danny Oshea GIF

Oh, not that Coach Klein?

Carry on...
Forget Coach Klein. Is Bobby Bouchet is the transfer portal?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Beyond him (along with basically every other reporter) getting the Fritz 'hire' wrong. Is there more to this comment? Is he in hot water with GT or something?
I can tell you he’s not my source. Although, the person is familiar with the backlash.

Me, I have no idea about Ken S. or Doug Roberson other than they cover Tech and I’ve met them before.