General News about Key and his Staff

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We got a new coach. Now we REALLY need a new radio guy

Part of me wonders if we just got spoiled by having Wes Durham and Brandon Gaudin, both of whom are award winners and got hired away for bigger national broadcast jobs.

But, to me, Demetra is unpleasant to listen to. I used to mute the TV and turn on the radio broadcast. Now I can't stand to listen to the radio broadcast at all.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Part of me wonders if we just got spoiled by having Wes Durham and Brandon Gaudin, both of whom are award winners and got hired away for bigger national broadcast jobs.

But, to me, Demetra is unpleasant to listen to. I used to mute the TV and turn on the radio broadcast. Now I can't stand to listen to the radio broadcast at all.
Hell I can’t find our games on the radio, count yourself lucky

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer

Yeah he’s definitely hard to listen to and hard to watch. I hate to be that shallow. But his face annoys me. His smile. And his questions don’t come off as sincere at all.

And Key’s early interviews with Demetra it seemed like Key was annoyed with how he presented questions. Glad I wasn’t the only one lol

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Wes was okay, but for me nobody will ever replace Al Ciraldo.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Al Ciraldo and Kim King, 1985:

A couple things.

1. Might be the worst kickoff coverage I’ve ever seen. And I’m a tech fan. I’ve see some bad ones.

2. Those stands are packed. It’s amazing to think what could be happening in Bobby Dodd

3. Appreciate you sharing that. Good to know some history a few years before I was even born. Go Jackets !

slugboy

Staff member
I’m 30. Who’s that lol
You will probably never know what it was like for Tech to be on television possibly once a season, unless we made a bowl game, and trying to get the game from a 5kW AM radio station whose signal barely reached the Zestos on Memorial Drive. You'll never understand asking your cousins to link arms and hold on to the antenna so you could get a signal.

It was a different world.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Thought Cabrera said Admin was making greater effort and funding available to support athletics???
Since by Georgia law the school cannot simply send money to the AA, it means there are more creative approaches being taken, like the matching funds effort with the GT Foundation (which iiuc is the first time that has ever been done). In other words, it'll take time and creativity I suspect.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
You will probably never know what it was like for Tech to be on television possibly once a season, unless we made a bowl game, and trying to get the game from a 5kW AM radio station whose signal barely reached the Zestos on Memorial Drive. You'll never understand asking your cousins to link arms and hold on to the antenna so you could get a signal.

It was a different world.
Now I’m lucky to get a game NOT carried by Bally Sports

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Use the Ga Tech App, it streams all the audio from the games

Why did I not know this?

Why did you not tell me this before I had to listen to the georgia broadcast of our last game (as I drove home from Stanksgiving with the inlaws)?

I lost about 473 points off my IQ before I mercifully put my fist through the console turned it off.

I'm sure you can tell I'm totally over the experience.

Airplane Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple things.

1. Might be the worst kickoff coverage I’ve ever seen. And I’m a tech fan. I’ve see some bad ones.

2. Those stands are packed. It’s amazing to think what could be happening in Bobby Dodd

3. Appreciate you sharing that. Good to know some history a few years before I was even born. Go Jackets !
That was a fun game (as was two years later against UGA even though we lost). And, yes the stadium was packed - even a majority of Tech fans ;) except on the bowl which was mostly red. You can see me in the video sitting 2nd row upper east stands around the 30. Yes. . . that guy. . . right there . . .

slugboy

Staff member
I posted this in the OC poll thread->

SMU is the only G5 school in the top 20 offenses. What a sea change.

I think Key is looking for someone he knows and who he knows is good--maybe an outsider to Tech but not to him.

Here are the top 50 offenses, adjusted for strength of schedule. Lincoln Riley (HC) is at the top. Heupel is next. Oregon's OC was in HC discussions, and so was TCU's. Georgia Southern is there at 40--Brian Ellis' name has been mentioned. Ole Miss was two notches behind Bama with a good bit less talent. Andy Kotelnicki is the OC at Kansas (don't see him making a lateral move, but who knows?). Collin Klein is a Kansas State alum and their OC (unlikely to move imo). Garrett Riley was SMU's OC last year and TCU's OC this year (Casey Woods is SMU's OC this year).

If we can get Brian Ellis, he wouldn't surprise me as OC. Otherwise, Willy Korn at Coastal or Jeff Grimes from Baylor, if we're looking for established OCs. Or we'd look at a position coach.

Rk
Team
1​
USC​
2​
Tennessee​
3​
Ohio State​
4​
Washington​
5​
Georgia​