General News about Key and his Staff

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
LOL at all the folks who swore Long was here because of financial burden.

If Weinke really was calling plays the last 2 weeks I’m all for him being promoted to OC. He did a really great job of game planning for both Gibson and Taisun. Platooning them and calling plays based on their strengths won us the UNC game, and kept us in the UGA game for 30 minutes longer than anybody expected us to be. Keep him as QB coach, and bring in a dedicated TE coach. The TE room needs help desperately.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer

oh-no-anyway.gif

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not a fan of Long but rather than paying more people to NOT work, I’d rather see what little money we have go to paying players to play. Keep the good kids others try to lure away from us and get some upgrades along the way. It’s a brave new world…

NIL doesn't work that way. We can't just cut players a check from the AA. A booster has to hire the kid for his Name, Image, or Likeness. If we have a booster who owns a Car Dealership they can have the player come in for a meet and greet at the dealership and pay him for that. We may could help with some coordination from the AA but it isn't cash from the AA.

I don't think the cash we would need to keep our current kids is all that high. The main guys that would require a large NIL are graduating (Thomas, Ace, etc). We had 7 guys make all ACC, 6 of those were 3rd team or honorable mention. I don't think the Bama's and UGA's of the world have Boosters ponying up the big bucks for that type of player production.

I think we could keep McCollum if we can get him a decent NIL. The other guys currently in the portal can stay there.

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure the ACC shares bowl revenue equally, after travel expenses.

The incremental sources of revenue would be if ticket sales and contributions increased subsequent to the coach meeting the performance targets. Personally while I think there may be some potential here, in this day and age and with GT's fan base I'm not sure how significant the tie would be.
You are correct, but the premise is the same. Increase the marketability of the program and share in the results.

Everyone loves to mention Jamey Chadwell. Under his last contract, Chadwell can earn up to $2.3 million in bonuses for the program's success. A division title earns him $400,000, while a conference title earns him $600,000. Should Coastal get a bowl invitation, he would get $300,000. If Coastal wins a bowl game, it’s an additional $400,000. Should the Chanticleers be ranked in the Top 50 of the USA Today Coaches Poll, AP Poll or Sagarin Poll, Chadwell would earn $500,000. Should Coastal be ranked in the Top 25 of any of the aforementioned polls, he would receive $600,000.

One is only limited by one's creativity.

FWIW, Bobby Dodd said it is up to the coach to put a good product on the field and therefore, should be paid according to attendance.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
LOL at all the folks who swore Long was here because of financial burden.

If Weinke really was calling plays the last 2 weeks I’m all for him being promoted to OC. He did a really great job of game planning for both Gibson and Taisun. Platooning them and calling plays based on their strengths won us the UNC game, and kept us in the UGA game for 30 minutes longer than anybody expected us to be. Keep him as QB coach, and bring in a dedicated TE coach. The TE room needs help desperately.
You can laugh me all you want. I said it was up to Key to retain him or not and if he wants to pay Long off $850K, rock on. If Batt found money to get rid of him OR ... he's cutting expenses elsewhere, that's a business decision.

The funny thing is ... Long is here and has a two-year deal BECAUSE of Key. Ouch.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The difference between the first drive and the rest of the game could be because the mutts adapted better than we did. It isn't necessarily that the entire series was scripted.

The o linemen that played the entire game were two freshmen and three sophomores. (Albeit adjusted because of COVID year) If they had started actually practicing they way they should last Spring, I think there is a high chance that we wouldn't be barely missing a bowl game. We would be getting ready to go to Charlotte. With all of the complaints about players and lack of talent on this forum, I think that with the right coaching this team could have won 10 games.
At least 7 or 8.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
You can laugh me all you want. I said it was up to Key to retain him or not and if he wants to pay Long off $850K, rock on. If Batt found money to get rid of him OR ... he's cutting expenses elsewhere, that's a business decision.

The funny thing is ... Long is here and has a two-year deal BECAUSE of Key. Ouch.
I understand you're not gloating, but you have to give credit to HCBK. Everyone can see that OCCL was a mistake and HCBK made the decision to remove the mistake. Former ADTS didn't do this, he doubled down on his mistake. OCCL had the credentials, but also questions. Key didn't beg and plead for Long, but when asked said sure (and it wasn't his position to hire Long). Then he saw what a horrible decision it was and he ripped it off like a bandaid when he had the chance. Of course the best thing to do is to never make a mistake, but you yourself have stated that leaders learn from their mistakes. I'm giving HCBK points for this move.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I understand you're not gloating, but you have to give credit to HCBK. Everyone can see that OCCL was a mistake and HCBK made the decision to remove the mistake. Former ADTS didn't do this, he doubled down on his mistake. OCCL had the credentials, but also questions. Key didn't beg and plead for Long, but when asked said sure (and it wasn't his position to hire Long). Then he saw what a horrible decision it was and he ripped it off like a bandaid when he had the chance. Of course the best thing to do is to never make a mistake, but you yourself have stated that leaders learn from their mistakes. I'm giving HCBK points for this move.
Will be interesting to see the contract for Key when its made public. Is he making roughly 500K less the first two years?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't have an issue with it, its a business decision. But ... GT has to do a better job and stop paying people not to work. We can't afford those mistakes and we seem to repeat them over and over.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW, Deep Throat messaged me that Key has reached out to Jeremy Pruitt Re DC. Saban said he was the best DC he ever had.
Doesn’t Pruitt have a show cause from his Trouble at UT? I didn’t think he was able to coach right now in NCAA

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Caralla is a great motivational speaker, not so sure he’s a great strength coach though. Some of his antics rubbed people the wrong way. I think he was a much better fit with Collins than he is with Key. I think we’ll be fine with somebody else
He was tasked with bulking up our "260 lb average" OL and proceeded to make them look fat and slow. Sure they all weighed well over 300 lbs, but when we wore all white, each of our linemen looked like the Michelin man.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Doesn’t Pruitt have a show cause from his Trouble at UT? I didn’t think he was able to coach right now in NCAA

Not yet, but it's likely coming. Saw recently where he admitted to giving a recruits mother a Chick-fil-a bag filled with money.