General News about Key and his Staff

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
A different coach would cost a lot more than $850,000 and would probably, hopefully, have demanded a new OC in any case.
I am referring to why the Fritz contract fizzled. WF wanted a greater percentage of his compensation to be guaranteed and Tech said no. The $850K would have done it. This tells me that Tech doesn't have the flexibility to throw $850K into the toilet.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The boosters wanted Key, got to think they will pay for who he wants.
First, Key was not the first choice. He may not even have been second, so I'm not sure how much stock I would place here.

Also, it has been mentioned that it was Key that recruited Long in the first place, so if true, they may say, "You picked him, you own him."

Still, it's immaterial to me. If the GTAA or boosters want to cover it and move on, fine. I just don't see the wisdom for a cash-strapped organization having both Chaney and Long potentially doing the same thing. If you have to pay Long, fine .. .make him an analyst and exit Chaney. Or not. Again, their money.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am referring to why the Fritz contract fizzled. WF wanted a greater percentage of his compensation to be guaranteed and Tech said no. The $850K would have done it. This tells me that Tech doesn't have the flexibility to throw $850K into the toilet.
But Fritz would probably have wanted a new OC, anyway. Plus, consider the money Tech saved not paying his buyout, which Tech was apparently willing to pay. $850,000 is a small fraction of that.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don’t know that I have seen $850k was the value of the sticking point but agree he wanted more guaranteed money. I’m also not 100% certain that he was a lock for us either way.

Agreed. It's an interesting scenario.

For all he was lambasted for, (and rightfully so), TStan had a good relationship with the donors and probably could have generated the extra revenue to augment staff under Key. JBatt is new, and still making those relationships, so we might be kind of "stuck" for a season or so while everything irons out.

Of course, it's also entirely possible that money is already being procured to augment the staff. We really don't know details of the contract just yet other than it was for 5 years.

Still a lot of info to parse over the next few weeks.
This is an area CBK helps Batt in my view - he’s got a lot of those relationships primed. We will see what the follow through is, but I suspect we’ll see a bump in funding support off this. I know I sent in enough to move up levels of giving yesterday after the news (not a program trajectory changing number but if many of us do it’s going to add up).

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If the rumors about Long not calling plays are true, then it depends what responsibilities were retained. If he was still constructing the playbook and developing game plans, then it might be worth keeping him in that role (assuming Key doesn’t think his TE coaching is good enough to keep around for another year) and elevating Weinke to Co-OC/QBs so that Weinke can calling the plays. Key is still in need of a new OL coach and a new RBs coach. On defense, he would probably be well served to let Thacker tell him who should stay, who should be shuffled, and who should go. Our defense down the stretch was the best Tech defense I’ve seen (though I admittedly didn’t start watching us until the CPJ era).

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is an area CBK helps Batt in my view - he’s got a lot of those relationships primed. We will see what the follow through is, but I suspect we’ll see a bump in funding support off this. I know I sent in enough to move up levels of giving yesterday after the news (not a program trajectory changing number but if many of us do it’s going to add up).

I should probably have added that JBatt is known as a fundraiser, so I am sure he has been busy working the donations. If we indeed were able to save some money by hiring Key, then I wouldn't be surprised to see additional hires.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
White was only suppose to shadow the RB out to flats, and the safety was supposed to roll that way for cover. Safety was looking at something in the backfield and didn't give help. This time the safety didn't do their job. The only reason why it looked like White had the entire route was because he saw our safety not rolling towards the RB and White did the best he could.

We played that type of coverage before and it was fine.
That was not the first time we saw that coverage this year with a DE covering a back well downfield. Maybe the safety is supposed to pick it up early, but we have been burned on that coverage numerous times. Watch the FSU game.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Or they don't have 850k to give a CWF + 850k to get rid of CCL + cost for new coordinator. That's different than not having 850 to get rid of CCL + a new coordinator.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we will hear quickly on who is retain ed on the staff. That way they can start looking for jobs, and we can start looking for replacements. One thing that may delay this is if a coach is involved in recruiting a player we want to make sure comes.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
But Fritz would probably have wanted a new OC, anyway. Plus, consider the money Tech saved not paying his buyout, which Tech was apparently willing to pay. $850,000 is a small fraction of that.
All true, but it's water under the bridge. He didn't take the Tech offer because Tech COULDN'T offer him what he wanted.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
All true, but it's water under the bridge. He didn't take the Tech offer because Tech COULDN'T offer him what he wanted.

Or WOULDN'T. We really don't know which one. It's entirely possible he proposed something we could technically afford, but JBatt saw no value in.

Though with our finances, COULDN'T is likely.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Or they don't have 850k to give a CWF + 850k to get rid of CCL + cost for new coordinator. That's different than not having 850 to get rid of CCL + a new coordinator.
If I don't have money to eat or pay rent, I don't have the money. Does it really matter which bill I am not going to pay?

The GTAA is break-even on a good day. It's in the hole now as I am sure they are dipping into a revolver to cover the short-term. Folks think that "Oh, it's just a million here or a million there." Friends, the GTAA does not have it.

I found it hysterical to read some of the posts that resembled, "Let's just pay Deion the $5M a year and 8-year contract he wants." Which is completely delusional.

We have to find a way to play D1 ball with a G5 level of funding. There are many who simply don't accept this. Even if Batt raises money, and I hope he does, this will remain a long-term problem for a small fanbase school.

What Tech has become really, really good at is paying coaches who don't coach here. That's a leak that has to be plugged.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Our finances are obviously a big factor in all this. I am hopeful that J did the analysis on financials already and targeted the coaches he thought were in that range. Then once he knew what the actual demands would be had to decide if it was worth the extra price. Remember he is looking at total spending including staff. I am sure that was part of the discussion as well. So the negotiations were not about just one person.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
If I recall correctly, it was the lack of guarantee from the AD that led CWF to bolt from Ga Southern

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If I recall correctly, it was the lack of guarantee from the AD that led CWF to bolt from Ga Southern
I have no info on that. I did message Deep Throat and he confirmed to me that the Board is very well aware of its financial condition and what it can and cannot offer. Key was willing to accept an incentive laden contract, WF was not.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't believe for a minute we will have any significant money to go out and get 'hot' assts.
It should be obvious to everyone we simply do not have the funds to do that. I don't believe for a minute the 'we will have the money' story we hear all the time. I've followed GT sports for too long to believe that. Actions speak louder than words and whenever the contract is signed GT is never paying that much for coaches. Even Collins contract is below the current market rate for an ACC HC based on the recent hires.
Between Collins buyout and the long term AA debt I think we are sort of between a rock and a hard place. The 'old boys club' opened their pockets when Collins was hired, that only helped so much. Basically hiring Key keeps that donation money at probably roughly the same level, maybe a slight increase if they have any more money left over.
We are likely going to have the lowest paid HC in the ACC.

We are going to need to find some new funding sources.