General News about Key and his Staff

slugboy

Staff member
  • If Long wasn’t calling the plays the last two games, then he’s not the OC. The $850k is a sunk cost. I don’t think you can use him as a TE coach; that’s a demotion, and I don’t think it would work well.
  • There are good OCs out there; maybe it’s Weinke? Maybe someone else
  • Thacker doesn’t have a position group. We’re one coach heavier on defense than usual. This may get adjusted somewhere
  • Special teams needs help. Someone is going to have to own that, at least part time.
  • We need a new OL coach and possibly a TE coach. And then there’s the need for the OC that would do one of those jobs or take another position.

slugboy

Staff member
There's strapped for cash, and there's "I just got burned on a 7-year guarantee, and I guarantee I won't be doing that again". Some of our issue might be the latter case.

Who thought Erk Russell would be a great coach at Southern? He got the right OC (out of nowhere, really) and boomed. Cincinnati just lost their HC, but he started as their HC because no one else wanted him. I thought Phil Fulmer was the least exciting coach I'd ever seen, but he built a winner at Tennessee.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I would assume Key has already presented a short list during the interview(s) of who he could bring in, who he would retain, and who he would shift to a new position or terminate. I am also very interested in what GT offered or offers Key as a lump sum salary pool budget for the support staff and a lump sum NIL money pool to divide and entice current players/recruits. Those are very important. I think I would try to leverage incentives into the contracts of the coordinators and position coaches to decrease the upfront cost and leverage performance based salaries.
Recruiting staff is another area. Will he retain Kenyatta Watson, maybe even bring D’MO back home, blow the steam whistle, and drive the Rambling Wreck onto the field at the beginning of games!

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
If we are as strapped for cash as being made out, how would it hurt to give Weinke the OC reins and see how he does?
I don’t think we are strapped for cash enough to keep someone we don’t want. We are already trying a brand new HC, I dont want to add new OC on top of that.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think we are strapped for cash enough to keep someone we don’t want. We are already trying a brand new HC, I dont want to add new OC on top of that.
If we get rid of Long then we still have to pay him, and find someone who wants to take over one of the worst offenses in college football, whose best player just hit the portal, and pay them below the going rate for their position. Just like the HC position, we will settle on the easy cheap option. Long isn't going anywhere.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm ok with Long/Weinke for offense. On defense I could go either way with retaining Thacker or letting him go. No more 300lb defensive ends covering rbs on wheel routes however. That defense was just stupid, not fair to #6, and cost us several times. Terrible design which makes me question him.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I am for getting a smart, young, hungry coach to head special teams. I know it would help if we had better athletes across the board, but I saw no game plan or adjustments made in game. In the Miami game their punter Luke Headley would kick to the right, then the left which led to multiple punts downed inside the five. Why didn't we put an extra returner back there on a windy night, especially after Hedley did this multiple times? I think someone did put an extra returner back in the UNC game, but we have to prepare right- everyone knew Hedley was a great punter. We also don't need huge DTs as the punt blocking backs and end up with only seven legitimate return stoppers. We just need to give someone smart that important role. Right now- we are losing more than 50 yards a game- our offense usually started with a longer field and the defense usually started 10 yards worse after change of possessions. We need someone who can think ahead and not be satisfied with "stay in your lanes."

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm ok with Long/Weinke for offense. On defense I could go either way with retaining Thacker or letting him go. No more 300lb defensive ends covering rbs on wheel routes however. That defense was just stupid, not fair to #6, and cost us several times. Terrible design which makes me question him.
whoever is the DC will have a hard time losing 3 very good players. Don't be surprised key likes Charles Kelly.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
If we get rid of Long then we still have to pay him, and find someone who wants to take over one of the worst offenses in college football, whose best player just hit the portal, and pay them below the going rate for their position. Just like the HC position, we will settle on the easy cheap option. Long isn't going anywhere.

I think with the money we saved from paying another schools buyout should be enough to grab a good OC and pay long. If we hired anyone else he wouldn’t have been retained, no reason not to give Key the same option.

There are plenty of G5 OCs that would jump at the chance to be our OC.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I agree with scrapping or improving the design of that play call. However how much of the elephant can Key really eat at once while learning the ropes/demands as HC. I think I may leave the D staff in tack and alone or go on a deep dive with Thacker and see if he wants to change up a coach or two. However that side isn’t broken so why tinker with it when the Offense and Special teams need much more attention. Here is where Key needs to really get his hands dirty. Decisions on OC/Schemes, OL, and TE coaches. Who is kept, shifted, and/or terminated. Perhaps his overall salary pool will determine where he can get the most bang for his buck. Maybe money is better spent on OL and QB coaches and move Wienke (spelling error) over to co-OC and see what happens.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Call me Petty LaBelle but I love the idea of tossin some P5 coin at the Coastal Carowina OC to come build his resume for us.

Fox Tv GIF by Bless the Harts

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Let Thacker go and bring in Shane Bowen, let him decide who stays and who goes on the defensive staff. Find a new OC and cut Long loose. Weinke is good at QB development but not sure he is the answer for OC. I want a guy who runs the ball first and passes second. I want a tougher hard nosed offensive football team that can pound the rock and wear down the opposition. Not interested in any of these air shows. Maybe Tashard Choice would be a good candidate.

Go Jackets!

PS - Damn glad Brent Key is our permanent Head Coach.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Let Thacker go and bring in Shane Bowen, let him decide who stays and who goes on the defensive staff. Find a new OC and cut Long loose. Weinke is good at QB development but not sure he is the answer for OC. I want a guy who runs the ball first and passes second. I want a tougher hard nosed offensive football team that can pound the rock and wear down the opposition. Not interested in any of these air shows. Maybe Tashard Choice would be a good candidate.

Go Jackets!

PS - Damn glad Brent Key is our permanent Head Coach.

Talk to me, Jerry. I like keeping Thacker. He, as much as Key, showed himself to be much better out from under the cloud of Collins.

I imagine there are better options but how attainable are they?

Not arguing, just asking for another point of view.