General News about Key and his Staff

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Key will be replacing:
Offense:

RB, OL, & WR coaches on Offense. Possibly the OC. Weinke definitely stays.
Defense:
I don’t think Knight stays. I think Thacker stays if he can’t afford a replacement. Turner maybe out due to unfamiliarity, but he’s done an outstanding job. I’m not sure if Tilman stays despite him being a Techman either way I think another secondary coach will be added.

I have no clue what he will do with the OC but I thought the idea of Weinke and Choice as co-OC’s was intriguing.
I read Doug Belk or Charles Kelly as DC potential.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Other than Korn GT won’t be able to afford any of them. Even Korn is a stretch.
Anae is making 550k
Enos is making 550k
Sowder is making 126k
Whipple was making 850k

For reference we paid 800k for long. And owe him 850 for next year no matter what he does. Hopefully we have an expensive TE coach.

The only one out of our price range would be Riley and they’ll probably give him close to 2 mil a year:

We better have a milly for a new OC

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
He’s not absolute garbage. I would’ve loved to have seen your performance with our porous O line (for most of the year) and banged up QBs.
Yet the OL kept getting better the last few games. Almost serviceable compared to a sieve before. I dont know what all was done the latter part of the season but there were noticeable improvements. Especially in pass blocking

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I dont know what all was done the latter part of the season

Key took over as HC. That's what.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yet the OL kept getting better the last few games. Almost serviceable compared to a sieve before. I dont know what all was done the latter part of the season but there were noticeable improvements. Especially in pass blocking
We moved guys around. A lot. Reading between some lines, I'm under the impression that Key was being told where to play certain guys and it wasn't the best 5 out there. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say on this board with naming individuals, but I'll just say to watch the film of guys who moved around. They were more effective in their new roles.

Edit: I'm also going to gripe again about how bad our TE's and RB's were in pass protection, partly scheme, partly missed assignments. Regardless, without looking up the numbers, a large number of the sacks we gave up this year were not on the OL

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Key took over as HC. That's what.

Obviously :) . But I was more talking about there was some more serious nuanced changes that I as a casual fan was not aware of other than. "Damn, they sure are pass blocking so much better!!"

@BainbridgeJacket Thanks, for pointing out the Nuanced changes

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Just a guess, but finally practicing at game speed at least some during the week instead of only on Saturday might have had at least a little to do with it.

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m not as much of a super hater of Long as some. We just need to fix the Oline, hit the portal hard for a receiver, and keep a QB as our starter for more than a game or two cause of one reason or another.

Don’t care who we have as OC this year if we are playing a different QB every week like we were doing down the stretch. Get Pyron and Gibson back health along with Phom and they can battle it out in spring ball. Also Weinke looked fine as a QB coach considering it was a roulette wheel each week.

Like everyone else said Thacker and crew looked like they knew what they were doing once TFG got the hell out of the way.

We’ve just got to develop guys in the off-season which seemed to never happen under TFG. So whomever the coaches are need to get on that. I do think having Key at the helm will help when position coaches go out around GA on the recruiting trail. HS coaches around GA kinda knew TFG’s whole stick.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Obviously. But I was more talking about there was some more serious nuanced changes that I as a casual fan was not aware of other than. "Damn, they sure are pass blocking so much better!!"

@BainbridgeJacket Thanks, for pointing out the Nuanced changes

LOL. I was joking mostly, but I have been told by numerous sources that the way CGC ran practices wasn't conducive to playing good football.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We moved guys around. A lot. Reading between some lines, I'm under the impression that Key was being told where to play certain guys and it wasn't the best 5 out there. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say on this board with naming individuals, but I'll just say to watch the film of guys who moved around. They were more effective in their new roles.

Edit: I'm also going to gripe again about how bad our TE's and RB's were in pass protection, partly scheme, partly missed assignments. Regardless, without looking up the numbers, a large number of the sacks we gave up this year were not on the OL
They also started actually practicing and being held accountable. If I understood the comments correctly, practice until C*****s left was: Not at full speed, Not in full pads, Not full contact, No competition drills 1s-vs-1s. Under such conditions I don't understand how an OL can gel. I don't understand how you could possible decide who the best performing linemen were until an actual game.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I’m not as much of a super hater of Long as some. We just need to fix the Oline, hit the portal hard for a receiver, and keep a QB as our starter for more than a game or two cause of one reason or another.

Don’t care who we have as OC this year if we are playing a different QB every week like we were doing down the stretch. Get Pyron and Gibson back health along with Phom and they can battle it out in spring ball. Also Weinke looked fine as a QB coach considering it was a roulette wheel each week.

Like everyone else said Thacker and crew looked like they knew what they were doing once TFG got the hell out of the way.

We’ve just got to develop guys in the off-season which seemed to never happen under TFG. So whomever the coaches are need to get on that. I do think having Key at the helm will help when position coaches go out around GA on the recruiting trail. HS coaches around GA kinda knew TFG’s whole stick.
I am kind of ambivalent towards Long. Mainly because I don't know much about him or how he has been handling things.

However, if the stories are true that play calling duties were taken from him for the last two games, that is horrific. If true, there is zero chance that he will be the OC next year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The last two years Bama's DFEI is 6th and 7th. I'd love to complain about that.
Really? I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about these new stats, but I know Bama gave up a TON of points to Tennessee and LSU in their losses...so I'm SHOCKED by those stats.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Really? I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about these new stats, but I know Bama gave up a TON of points to Tennessee and LSU in their losses...so I'm SHOCKED by those stats.

Bama finished the year 10th in scoring defense. They allowed 18 points per game. Just because a team has a couple of bad games doesn't mean that the unit is trash. Not sure 32 points to LSU is a TON of points, and Tennessee's offense is one of the best in the nation.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Bama finished the year 10th in scoring defense. They allowed 18 points per game. Just because a team has a couple of bad games doesn't mean that the unit is trash. Not sure 32 points to LSU is a TON of points, and Tennessee's offense is one of the best in the nation.
Interesting. I know what you're saying and I'll admit those were really the only two Bama games I watched closely, but their defense didn't impress me. But, hey, maybe I'm wrong. I did watch their two worst defensive performances, I guess. But LSU's offense isn't a world beater (I doubt they'll score 32 on UGa) and UT got snuffed out by Georgia's D....so the comparison isn't a good one for Bama.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Bama fans complaining about something shouldn't really hold any weight. Their bar of expectation is so absurdly high that it tells you nothing.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. I watched every game, as my wife is a Bammer. The reason their D was not as dominant this year as previous years is because they did not have difference makers on the DL. I mean they were better than 97.5% of the other teams in the country, but they were not able to get pressure on QBs with 3 & 4 man rushes like they have historically.

Like you said, their D was not terrible, but UA fans are spoiled.