General News about Key and his Staff

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
I like the idea of giving Weinke a shot, but something about Godsey being OC and working alongside Weinke feels special.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I like the idea of giving Weinke a shot, but something about Godsey being OC and working alongside Weinke feels special.
Why? I mean that seriously. I don’t get why there’s much fascination with Goose. I loved him as our QB and of course I love it when he has success. But other than him being a beloved former Jacket and a decent offensive coach what else does he bring? I’m genuinely asking your opinion.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Thornton’s grandfather, Billy Shaw, played guard for the Buffalo Bills and is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame (Class of 1999). Shaw also starred at Georgia Tech prior to embarking on his pro career.
Dodd always thought that Billy was one of the absolute best offensive linemen he ever coached, along with Rufus Guthrie, Bill Curry, and Pete Brown among others. He probably had the best pro career of any of Dodd's players.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'm starting to warm to the idea. If Key thinks he's ready, then maybe he is.
It's his team now, he can get who he wants. It's funny but it does not seem all that long ago that Chris was playing quarterback for FSU. His notoriety stemmed from being pretty old for a college player because he had played minor league baseball for several years.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It's his team now, he can get who he wants. It's funny but it does not seem all that long ago that Chris was playing quarterback for FSU. His notoriety stemmed from being pretty old for a college player because he had played minor league baseball for several years.
That…and you know…winning a Heisman trophy, leading his team to three straight BCS Championship games and winning one.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I believe Weinke has the necessary tools. Read the defense, adjust, spot the weaknesses, develop a game plan, and put players in position to succeed.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Chris is like Benjamin Button. He was 58 when he played for FSU and now he is 50!😁

JacketEagle98

Georgia Tech Fan
With the hire of Key as head coach with very limited experience, I thought the GTAA would want to hire an experienced OC to support him rather than promote Weinke. Weinke may turn out to be be a great OC, but it is taking a big chance. The decision makers have more insight into the coaches they want and the leadership qualities they have, so I hope this turns out to be a great promotion, if he gets the job.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
With the hire of Key as head coach with very limited experience, I thought the GTAA would want to hire an experienced OC to support him rather than promote Weinke. Weinke may turn out to be be a great OC, but it is taking a big chance. The decision makers have more insight into the coaches they want and the leadership qualities they have, so I hope this turns out to be a great promotion, if he gets the job.
I imagine the Powers That Be (and the Money That Be) would have dug far enough into their pockets to hire an OC with more experience if Key had asked them to.
I would assume Brent is satisfied with Wienke, and the one he wants as his OC, so we'll see what happens.