General News about Key and his Staff

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Okay so we have Weinke, Long, and I believe Tillman under 2 year contracts. Everyone else is up for renegotiation. We need a RB and OL coach.

Move Long to TE coach or let him leave. Go get the best OC we can find and let him hire/fire whomever he wants, even Long if he doesn’t like him.

Defense had a good year but I’m willing to go another direction there too with the exception of Tillman.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Whipple was good at Pitt.

Wasn't as good at Nebraska. From my in-laws, seemed to be because he didn't factor in the wind on the plains to his scheme. That's sunk OCs before in Lincoln. It's tough to run an offense that relies heavily on passing with 30mph winds coming in at least 3 games of the year.

Point being, I'd be glad to see him over here. Bet Pyron could do wonders with his offense.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I don’t mind Long but I’m also not the type to hold a gun to a 2nd string QBs head who is 1/10 on the day, facing a 3rd and 25, and tell him to get a first down or else. It seems like our fans always get upset when we don’t give QBs an opportunity to pull off unbelievably low odds situations like a 3rd and long or an 80 yard drive in 25 seconds with 1 timeout at the end of the half.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't as good at Nebraska. From my in-laws, seemed to be because he didn't factor in the wind on the plains to his scheme. That's sunk OCs before in Lincoln. It's tough to run an offense that relies heavily on passing with 30mph winds coming in at least 3 games of the year.

Point being, I'd be glad to see him over here. Bet Pyron could do wonders with his offense.
Just like Long, I think it takes more than one year to really install an offense. That isn’t saying Long is good, but there is a learning curve when starting up somewhere:
Coaches have to learn what guys do well/can’t do.
Players have to learn the scheme, playbook, and how to do it cohesively.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Work Weinke more into running the whole offense '23, see how he does (CBK's call) and maybe make him OC '24 when CCL's contract is up. I'm for keeping most of the defensive staff in place, increasing Thackers $. I'm wondering if CBK maybe brings an up and coming young coach along for OL with CBK working with him, great opportunity for a young man IMO, good for us. Key has already said he turned the defense over to Thack when he was made interim. I liked what I saw( Thacker ). We do have to replace some pretty good players.
Wonder if our punter can be coached up, seems he takes too many steps or too long, think I have seen a multi step punter make the change successfully somewhere before. I bet there is someone somewhere that is good at helping them do just that.

Last edited: