Kevin Ware Transferring

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Peacone is dead on about Ware. There's no indication he's better than what we have or any less prone to being a knucklehead. I also highly doubt he'd start over Tadric down the road. Also, despite being highly supportive of GT hoops, he's definitely no fan of CBG's coaching.

I haven't seen us listed as involved with any transfers other than post player MJ Rhett, but he's since eliminated us. I'm hopeful we get in the mix on Chris Obekpa from St. John's, but that will be tough sledding.

Cressler from Cornell would be an ideal sharpshooter type and is seeking a quality academic school at a higher hoops level, but I think other schools already have the jump on us (ND, Vandy, Creighton, Pitt).

Meanwhile, there are more hitting the market each day. Here's Jeff Goodman's list.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ry-transfer-2014-offseason-college-basketball
With all those players available and knowing what your glaring weakness' are, Tech not in play for a few of these guys says either Gregory is lost (in over his head) or he has a plan that we are not aware of. I'm hoping he has a plan. I need to ask this question: Solo was never in trouble with the law, grades don't seem to be a problem, what was his problem. Is it he whipped brick layer's *** one time or many depending on who you ask. Was he an *** to coach? I know this Bolden got arrested, played terrible the whole year, only served what a couple game suspension. Maybe someone should have cleaned the air.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Its the former. The transfer list is relatively weak. Carlino and Harris would be delightful. 0% chance with either unfortunately. We must rely on our......er.....stellar recruiting

We need a big IMHO like you read about but little impact bigs for '14 remain, unless we land a one yeAr grad xfer to stick some more bubble gum in the holes.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Its the former. The transfer list is relatively weak. Carlino and Harris would be delightful. 0% chance with either unfortunately. We must rely on our......er.....stellar recruiting

We need a big IMHO like you read about but little impact bigs for '14 remain, unless we land a one yeAr grad xfer to stick some more bubble gum in the holes.
We are in need of alot right now. I feel once we get 1 problem fixed, theyll graduate and then well fix the other and so on... We need to put 2 good to great classes together back to back and hope they pan out. RCJr is the only NBA level talent returning next year. Excluding MGH and MAYBE Quinton Stephens... The rest of the team wouldnt start on most BCS AQ teams. IMO

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Let's be honest. This team will only improve as the BBCarter-MGH-Bolden class improves. These one-year stopgaps aren't doing anything to help us. They're as disruptive to continuity as everyone says Hew's one-and-doners were (without the NBA-level talent). The news that Jaylen Brown is less of a possibility is a gut punch and could be a death knell. We gotta start closing on difference-makers.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Let's be honest. This team will only improve as the BBCarter-MGH-Bolden class improves. These one-year stopgaps aren't doing anything to help us. They're as disruptive to continuity as everyone says Hew's one-and-doners were (without the NBA-level talent). The news that Jaylen Brown is less of a possibility is a gut punch and could be a death knell. We gotta start closing on difference-makers.
THIS ^^^^^ CBG put WAY too many eggs in that basket and will pay the price if he doesnt land him. I think if he comes he may bring some friends. If not... Whats the plan? More second tier prospects that are leftover? We need to keep the good ones in state and sell GT bball better.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

If CBG doesnt land Jaylen then I think that will cost him his job.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Pretty much. I hope everyone who reads your post understands losing one recruit isn't what will cost him his job. It's just the culmination of a lot of issues coming to a head.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

First off, I agree, I am still in the mode where the pathetic masses Itch, Pi$$ and Moan when anything negative is stated against the current regime. To base coaching on the possibility of future classes is ridiculous in my opinion. What happens when/if we get JB and then he leaves and we are surrounded by less than ACC caliber players that CBG has recruited? Endure 3 more years of minimal development, poor recruiting and Paul Hewitt based excuses? No thanks. Time for people to realize what I did from day one. I try not to be an arrogant man but the foolishness and false hope and unfounded optimism on the "queen bee" is a bit ridiculous.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
First off, I agree, I am still in the mode where the pathetic masses Itch, Pi$$ and Moan when anything negative is stated against the current regime. To base coaching on the possibility of future classes is ridiculous in my opinion. What happens when/if we get JB and then he leaves and we are surrounded by less than ACC caliber players that CBG has recruited? Endure 3 more years of minimal development, poor recruiting and Paul Hewitt based excuses? No thanks. Time for people to realize what I did from day one. I try not to be an arrogant man but the foolishness and false hope and unfounded optimism on the "queen bee" is a bit ridiculous.

Yeah, I've never posted on the Hive but have heard all the horror stories. This site is great because, as long as you're not just spewing negativity, you're allowed some rope.

I read somewhere (can't remember what site) where a guy was describing the last few state of GA classes as good locally, but subpar nationally. Well, the state has enough respect that the top-ranked guys in state are high 3/4-star guys when you look at rankings but in reality they're basically depth guys on the NCAA level. It's possible we're victims of that.

The staff appears to have been put together to dominate in-state recruiting which was supposed to be excellent the past few years (based on rankings). We've already seen this past year was over-hyped as guys like Ahmed Hill, Trayvon Reed and even the kid who went to Mizzou (who's name escapes me) haven't really panned out as having that 5-star pedigree. These were the recruits who were supposed to lead us back to prominence and not only did we miss on them (for various reasons) we don't have the national cache to tap into high-caliber kids to put us over the top.

As was the case in fball, our great years were led by national recruiting. Not sure we have the capability to do that now so we're stuck scouring the waiver wire 2 years in a row.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Jakeenan Gant, which a follower whom I respect labels as overrated. I however think Trayvon Reed was a huge miss for us. Im not sure he was able to meet the academic standards but its difficult to teach 7'2 with talent. I look to him to become a player in the B10 in the next few years.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree that I like the rope we've got here compared to The Hive, although I do think there are some well-connected posters there.

My stance is this. The 2015 class has to be of high quality, with or without Jaylen Brown. That said, if you land Jaylen Brown, it becomes easier to accept a lesser record, say .500, when you know you're bringing in the horses to put you over the top.

Additionally, with or without Jaylen Brown, that 2015 class needs to maintain the foundation built. Many will disagree, but I think our current core is pretty good, although it does need some juice to get over the top.

There's a ton of in-state talent in GA this year and we're also casting a wider net across New England prep schools, Texas, Chicagoland. Not everyone needs to be a Top 25-50 kid, but this class needs to be very solid with 1-2 difference makers.

If that can't be achieved, then there are bigger concerns at hand for sustainable recruiting. I'm hoping CBG can mitigate & eliminate those concerns.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I agree that I like the rope we've got here compared to The Hive, although I do think there are some well-connected posters there.

My stance is this. The 2015 class has to be of high quality, with or without Jaylen Brown. That said, if you land Jaylen Brown, it becomes easier to accept a lesser record, say .500, when you know you're bringing in the horses to put you over the top.

Additionally, with or without Jaylen Brown, that 2015 class needs to maintain the foundation built. Many will disagree, but I think our current core is pretty good, although it does need some juice to get over the top.

There's a ton of in-state talent in GA this year and we're also casting a wider net across New England prep schools, Texas, Chicagoland. Not everyone needs to be a Top 25-50 kid, but this class needs to be very solid with 1-2 difference makers.

If that can't be achieved, then there are bigger concerns at hand for sustainable recruiting. I'm hoping CBG can mitigate & eliminate those concerns.

Agreed, there are some guys over there that really have some good information as far as what is going on in the program and that is why I continue to visit the site. I also find quite a bit of humor over there.

Unfortunately my opinions are very often not popular there and I refuse to be a cheerleader so I am generally not well rcvd. No worries though.

To get back to it, BBC is going to have a special year next year. I hope that doesn't amount to him jumping early as that would be devastating. But, all you have to do is look at this years tourney to tell you that guard play in CBB is paramount. I generally like to refer to Brevin Knights Stanford team downing Tim Duncan and Wake when Timmy was a senior. We need to land some of these big time back court guys we are targeting and get back to being PG University. Everytime I saw Monte Morris playing for Iowa St this past season I died a little bit inside.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I have no inside info as to what happened with his recruitment but he is a multi year player that we missed on that could have played behind TG this year and been a big time player for us next year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Isn't that what we were going to have with Travis Jorgenson? Could we have gotten both of the with SoP and Heyward already here?

All due respect, Morris would've been better than all of them plus had the size to play SG. Kind of a Kirk Hinrich-type. JMHO though.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I have no inside info as to what happened with his recruitment but he is a multi year player that we missed on that could have played behind TG this year and been a big time player for us next year.

I don't either but I do remember that he was always high on IowaSt. I think we were 1-2 before his OV to GT. We landed Poole then his visit was canceled, then he committed to them. Timing suggests we landed the higher-rated player and that was that. Gotta love 'crootin' rankings.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we may have backed off of him because we landed a player at his position, not because we landed a higher ranked player, as well as an indication that he was more likely to stay in the Midwest.

The best context might be was we had 4-6 players we were after for that spot and once we landed one, it was filled. Didn't necessarily matter who we landed. Others we were after with that spot include Tyler Ennis, Kasey HIll, & Cat Barber.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
In regards to the one that we landed. What actually happened? I heard he had a scrap with CB but, is that all it took? Was he just defiant when people tried to coach him? I mean has anyone actually addressed what went wrong?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think we may have backed off of him because we landed a player at his position, not because we landed a higher ranked player, as well as an indication that he was more likely to stay in the Midwest.

The best context might be was we had 4-6 players we were after for that spot and once we landed one, it was filled. Didn't necessarily matter who we landed. Others we were after with that spot include Tyler Ennis, Kasey HIll, & Cat Barber.

Yeah, I guess I agree. I do wonder though what would've happened if we'd landed Morris first. Would we have still went after Poole? I'm sure his parents would've still pushed it due to his brother being here. Remember at the time Solo was on a bit of a slide due to the suspension and rough camp/AAU stretch so he kinda fell to us.

All under the bridge now though so just fodder for discussion nothing more. Also, I'm pretty sure we were way out of it with Ennis, Hill and Barber by then. We were down to Newkirk, Quarterman and the like IIRC.