Kevin Robbins has left the team

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ugh...pretty big loss. I thought Robbins, Akins, and Commissiong were 3 of CPJ's most promising DL recruits in a long time. We've lost 2 of 3 now.

Robbins had the most potential of any of the DE's we had in the pipeline. Athletic, very good speed, and had scheme flexibility ala Attaochou. Great athlete.

He's going to be a really good player for someone else now.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
"Academics being a limiting factor is way overblown at GT..."
"We have easy majors, too..."
"The AA tutoring levels the academic playing field..."
"Blah, blah, blah..."

I hope the guys who really think the stuff I've heard over the years on the boards remember cases like these. SMH.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Criminal Justice is a major that usually requires grad school to do anything significant. I don't see why he couldn't major in any of the following and still pursue his dream career in graduate school which is what he will probably have to do anyway.
Any of these liberal art majors would translate well.

Psychology
Public Policy
Science, Technology, and Culture
International Affairs
International Affairs and Modern Language
Applied Languages and Intercultural Studies
Economics
Global Economics and Modern Languages
History, Technology, and Society

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes the rigors of Tech are more than someone can (or wants to) handle. I'd much rather he transfer in good standing so he can continue to pursue his dream of playing football at the highest level while getting an education than wait until his academic record is torn to shreds. This way his choices aren't limited (pretty much any school he transfers to will accept the classes he's already taken) and GT doesn't take a hit on APR.

I'm disappointed that he won't be on the field for GT, but we all know Tech's not the place for everyone.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
"Academics being a limiting factor is way overblown at GT..."
"We have easy majors, too..."
"The AA tutoring levels the academic playing field..."
"Blah, blah, blah..."

I hope the guys who really think the stuff I've heard over the years on the boards remember cases like these. SMH.

Awesome...a few guys have to transfer because of academics, and someone makes it a referendom on how hard it is at GT. Lord knows no one ever flunks out of UGA or Alabama.

GT is tough...but there MANY kids of the the athletic caliber of the guys who had to transfer that can handle it. I mean 4 star guys like Dwyer, Nesbitt, Derrick Morgan, Morgan Burnett, Calvin Johnson, Justin Thomas, Louis Young...they all did well or are doing well at GT. None of us know the details of Robbin's situation so I'd get off the soapbox.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Criminal Justice is a major that usually requires grad school to do anything significant. I don't see why he couldn't major in any of the following and still pursue his dream career in graduate school which is what he will probably have to do anyway.

Psychology
Public Policy
International Affairs
Economics

True but as soon as they hear about how many papers that are due for those majors they are turned off immediately

TechPhi97

Jolly Good Fellow

Psychology
Public Policy
International Affairs
Economics

Not to derail, but Psychology and Economics both have a ton of statistics. Not exactly liberal arts majors. You'll find them at liberal arts schools to attract more technical students, but they require good math skills.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
^^^ hah!

Psychology
Public Policy
International Affairs
Economics

Small note: The way GT teaches Econ in undergrad is fairly different from most schools. Many schools teach models and theory in undergrad and kind of use 'cookbook' style learn this formula for optimization problems and econometrics. Then, when you get to grad school, they actually teach the math behind economics. It wouldn't be GT without calculus, so by the time you take sophomore level core classes they expect you to do multivariate calculus and while the econometrics classes aren't as rigorous as, for example, ECE's probability and statistics, they're very much the real math.

...For some reason, as a Econ and Comp.E. double major, I felt compelled to add that.

Anyhow, you're absolutely right. An undergrad in CJ isn't a big asset in getting hired on the police force, and higher career opportunities (like, say, becoming detective or joining the FBI) are really only interested in masters level education. In fact, my friends in the field say that you probably get a bit of an edge with a psych degree in undergrad, if for no other reason than that it helps when you do go to grad school.

I have no idea about the athletic association, but unless it's a magical utopia completely unlike everywhere else on campus, the advising is ****. Like, you go in for academic advising and know less coming out than you did going in. I bet we could help this kind of thing by having some available advisors/mentors. Like if a guy is freaking out about passing and wants to do criminal justice, use alumni association people who are police to give the player a little perspective. Hell, we already do that in general with the mentor jackets program.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Psychology
Public Policy
International Affairs
Economics
My wife went into the PhD program in Public Policy (at Tech) after receiving her MS in Physics and HTS (at Tech). She said the math required for Public Policy was no cake walk. Coming from someone with a BS and MS in Physics, I'll say that PP at Tech isn't the typical Liberal Arts school. It might be different at the undergraduate level, but I doubt it.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
AGAIN,
I want to point out why we needed DTs in the '14 class even though I was "told" we had all this "DEPTH" and didn't need to get more.Not only was that stupid from a 4 yr view ,it now is stupid from a 1 yr view.
Like was said yesterday in another thread, LOSING guys to injury (or dropout) negates by far any step improvement you get by guys going through Spring/Fall practice.-ex: look at our safety play last yr without IJ and Golden when we put in the new guys.

GravyTrain

Georgia Tech Fan
AGAIN,
I want to point out why we needed DTs in the '14 class even though I was "told" we had all this "DEPTH" and didn't need to get more.Not only was that stupid from a 4 yr view ,it now is stupid from a 1 yr view.
Like was said yesterday in another thread, LOSING guys to injury (or dropout) negates by far any step improvement you get by guys going through Spring/Fall practice.-ex: look at our safety play last yr without IJ and Golden when we put in the new guys.

Pro tip: Read all the posts in a thread before contributing, otherwise you'll end up complaining about our DT recruiting in a thread about a transferring DE.

thwgjacket

AGAIN,
Uh Robbins was a DE. Signed 4 of those in the '14 class.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
AGAIN,
Duuuuude, you like start a blog or something

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Awesome...a few guys have to transfer because of academics, and someone makes it a referendom on how hard it is at GT. Lord knows no one ever flunks out of UGA or Alabama.

GT is tough...but there MANY kids of the the athletic caliber of the guys who had to transfer that can handle it. I mean 4 star guys like Dwyer, Nesbitt, Derrick Morgan, Morgan Burnett, Calvin Johnson, Justin Thomas, Louis Young...they all did well or are doing well at GT. None of us know the details of Robbin's situation so I'd get off the soapbox.
= GT is easy street.