Kennesaw State, Baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Play Kennesaw State tomorrow at 4PM. They had the day off today.

Last year they made the NCAAs and had a 53 RPI. Can't tell much about them by games this year except they win the games they should after losing the opener to New Orleans. Then 5 in a row (3 over Long Island).

D1 picked them to finish 4th of 14 in Atlantic Sun Conf. They have pitching untested depth and it's a mid-week game. Expect this "Freshman Blake Aita flashed a power slider (90-93) with elite spin rate this fall, earning a job as the mid-week starter." No idea who is starting for us, but we should plan on him only pitching to three batters just to be safe.

1677629101326.png

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Play Kennesaw State tomorrow at 4PM. They had the day off today.

Last year they made the NCAAs and had a 53 RPI. Can't tell much about them by games this year except they win the games they should after losing the opener to New Orleans. Then 5 in a row (3 over Long Island).

D1 picked them to finish 4th of 14 in Atlantic Sun Conf. They have pitching untested depth and it's a mid-week game. Expect this "Freshman Blake Aita flashed a power slider (90-93) with elite spin rate this fall, earning a job as the mid-week starter." No idea who is starting for us, but we should plan on him only pitching to three batters just to be safe.

View attachment 14060
Maybe Dalton Smith tomorrow?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pretty safe bet Dalton starts tomorrow

Hope Campbell is back in. Will need his bat this weekend. We need to start getting some people back and stop this injury thing.

Wasn't Dalton supposed to start yesterday?

After Georgia Southern, Kennesaw is the best team we've faced. Just realized we will have 8 games in 10 days by Sunday. so no wonder it seems like a lot of baseball.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hall (LIU postgame) said the expected plan is a staff day today. Not a surprise & a lot of guys available too since LIU went only 7 innings (4 pitchers).

Re Dalton Smith. Total speculation but the change in plans with him could be a setback, of course. But could be he's needed to fill weekend opening if McGuire is not available (or somewhere in between).

Geisler was inserted at 3B last night. IIRC the ball never found him... a baseball [gods] oddity.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Every time I check the games at 2nd or 3rd I swear we have already given up 3-4 runs. This isn’t even acc play yet. 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
Bright side is when I check the box score and see we're down a handful of runs after one inning, I just shrug.

I know we'll eventually get bit playing this way against bigger opponents, but this team is surely resilient.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Didn't get to see much of the game (missed the 1st inning), but Dalton Smith looked good until he didn't. He pitched well in the 2nd and 3rd but looked to me like maybe he tired after getting the first two outs in the 3rd and then not getting the third strike call on the check swing for the 3rd out. Single homer and boom, 2 more runs. But he was up way over 50 pitches by then...maybe for a guy who did not pitch last year and only had one inning before this, it was just a bridge too far.

Rest of the bullpen looks great, and Busse is dominant!

Obviously, we need better starting pitching and that starts with this weekend.

I see rain is forecasted for Friday's game in Athens. Just curious, if it's rained out, I wonder how they will re-arrange the schedule?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Didn't get to see much of the game (missed the 1st inning), but Dalton Smith looked good until he didn't. He pitched well in the 2nd and 3rd but looked to me like maybe he tired after getting the first two outs in the 3rd and then not getting the third strike call on the check swing for the 3rd out. Single homer and boom, 2 more runs. But he was up way over 50 pitches by then...maybe for a guy who did not pitch last year and only had one inning before this, it was just a bridge too far.

Rest of the bullpen looks great, and Busse is dominant!

Obviously, we need better starting pitching and that starts with this weekend.

I see rain is forecasted for Friday's game in Athens. Just curious, if it's rained out, I wonder how they will re-arrange the schedule?
No idea on your last question. It's a good one.

I didn't see Dalton's innings either. In postgame presser, CDH said the results didn't really match how well he thought he pitched. Said the HR in 3rd was suppose to be a ball in dirt that he let get away.

Also said Fri is Brown ... Sun is Finley ...they have to sort out who'll pitch at home on Sat.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Kennesaw St (on the road).
7pm Wed
KSU RPI around #150

Anybody know if one or both (CDH & Geisler) must serve a one game suspension after being ejected in last game? Last time I read the rule, I didn't fully "get" when a one game suspension is applied.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Kennesaw St (on the road).
7pm Wed
KSU RPI around #150

Anybody know if one or both (CDH & Geisler) must serve a one game suspension after being ejected in last game? Last time I read the rule, I didn't fully "get" when a one game suspension is applied.
I tried to recreate my confusion & hit a dead end. I'm pretty sure there is no suspension for either player or coach in these cases.

Carry on...

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
That should about put a stake in any lingering hope for a regional bid.
The only hope for a bid was (and still is) the automatic bid that comes with being ACC Champs (winning the tournament).

I suppose if we win 5 of final 6 ACC games & at least one more in the tournament... maybe we're on the bubble.