Ken Suguria Article: Johnson offers praise, updates at media days

thwgjacket

So we're going to quit passing those extra 2 times per game we did last year?

Historically, we have averaged 12 passes per game under CPJ. Last year, we averaged 14. Not exactly like we went all "run and shoot" on people.

I get what he means about going back to the TO but to say that we are going to "run more" frankly scares the s**t out of me from a recruiting standpoint.
That should have said "running more TO" in my post. Sorry. You would think that running more might hurt recruiting but the class last year was good and this years seems to be shaping up well.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I just didnt see a very decisive QB after he took that hit against UNC. Being hesitant like that stunted his progression within the offense. I dont agree that he would have got better/less timid in THIS offense. Im not bashing Vad, but he looked awful last year. The good plays were made by the players on the other end of his pitch/pass. We just didnt have a very good offense last year, minus, Godhigh/Mason/Smelter. IMO. I think well be ALOT better from top to bottom this year.

I hope so but---the only way that might happen is if the Oline delivers.I have some serious doubts that these guys this yr are up to success vs vt,clem ,uM and uga .They will be ok vs the toolanes of the world but until that trip to Blacksburg we wont know for sure.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My only problem with this post is that CPJ did try and change the offense. We ran the pistol and did some Redskins stuff while Vad was here. When Vad left CPJ said we are going to do what we are good at and go back to running more. JT seems to be fine with this and has "bought" in. It really doesn't effect the other guys we have recruited. The WR's will still get deep routes thrown to them and the BB and AB positions will touch the ball plenty. I think the question is, would we rather run the new stuff and not be as good or run what we know and be more effective?

That's the point I'm trying to make. CPJ, to his credit, did try to do new things to take advantage of Vad's talent...and he told quite a few recruits that he would "expand" the offense (which he did), and made quite a few statements to that effect in the press.

To make a statement that Vad didn't fit our offense, and we're going back to what we do best ("his" offense) is kinda disingenuous to me. To me he's pretty much saying the only reason why all "expanded" stuff was there was because of Vad, and now that he's gone GT is going back to what he knows best. First of all, CPJ recruited Vad, and I highly doubt Vad comes here if CPJ tells him "We're running my triple option offense and that's that." When Vad was recruited, it was pretty well known that he had second thoughts but CPJ communicated that he would do things to the offense to take advantage of not only Vad's legs, but his arm. Second, it all begins and ends with CPJ...no one can make him run what he doesn't want to run. If a QB doesn't fit your system, put the QB that does fit your systm in...and he's made it obviously clear that both JT and Byerly fit his system more than Vad. Well, both of them were on the roster last season, but Vad got the 80%+ of the snaps (just guestimating). There's a certain disconnect in what he's saying now that Vad is gone and what he actually did.

I'm I possibly overthinking it? Maybe. But I still feel that CPJ should have just let sleeping dogs lay and just said "We gave it our best shot, and things didn't work out the way we both thought. I wish him well." It's just strange to me that he keeps harping on "going back to what we do best" (i.e. his flex option), and that the QBs currently on the roster area better fit. Why? Just freakin' move on.

thwgjacket

That's the point I'm trying to make. CPJ, to his credit, did try to do new things to take advantage of Vad's talent...and he told quite a few recruits that he would "expand" the offense (which he did), and made quite a few statements to that effect in the press.

To make a statement that Vad didn't fit our offense, and we're going back to what we do best ("his" offense) is kinda disingenuous to me. To me he's pretty much saying the only reason why all "expanded" stuff was there was because of Vad, and now that he's gone GT is going back to what he knows best. First of all, CPJ recruited Vad, and I highly doubt Vad comes here if CPJ tells him "We're running my triple option offense and that's that." When Vad was recruited, it was pretty well known that he had second thoughts but CPJ communicated that he would do things to the offense to take advantage of not only Vad's legs, but his arm. Second, it all begins and ends with CPJ...no one can make him run what he doesn't want to run. If a QB doesn't fit your system, put the QB that does fit your systm in...and he's made it obviously clear that both JT and Byerly fit his system more than Vad. Well, both of them were on the roster last season, but Vad got the 80%+ of the snaps (just guestimating). There's a certain disconnect in what he's saying now that Vad is gone and what he actually did.

I'm I possibly overthinking it? Maybe. But I still feel that CPJ should have just let sleeping dogs lay and just said "We gave it our best shot, and things didn't work out the way we both thought. I wish him well." It's just strange to me that he keeps harping on "going back to what we do best" (i.e. his flex option), and that the QBs currently on the roster area better fit. Why? Just freakin' move on.
Well he was asked the question. And to be fair it was Vad that made the fiery statement that "It was never really my thing," or something like that. I like the way he answered the question. It was an answer that shows the media, fans and recruits that GT was not in some desperate situation where we needed to retain Vad. It also shows confidence in our QB's we have now, which I'm sure they appreciate.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Let's be honest: Passing less than 50%, one decent A back, one decent receiver, lousy blocking. We have to get better in all areas.