Ken Suguria Article: Johnson offers praise, updates at media days

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
"More option, more triple option. We really got away from it a year ago. We ran very little triple option. We weren’t very good at it.”

More TO is what I can't wait to see and why I think we will have a good season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Music to my ears: "Johnson reiterated that Byerly enters the preseason as the No. 2 quarterback, but added that “he could put himself in position to play some.”" A one-two punch of different QB styles to drive the D crazy. Go the longest with whoever is playing the best that day.

Also, pretty effusive praise for Laskey.

Used to be that CPJ said he didn't want to build unrealistic expectations and put unnecessary pressure on the players.

Option and more option. Love it if it works. And I think it has the best chance to work since it's what CPJ does. You don't go to a foot doctor for an eye problem so you don't get an option coach to ........ you get the idea.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
All of those DCs that think they had the option figured out last year...the joke is on you. We were not even running it much. Ha!

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
The biggest loss on offense this year will be Godhigh IMO. We will be better at every other position and be able to run more of CPJ's offense.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The biggest loss on offense this year will be Godhigh IMO. We will be better at every other position and be able to run more of CPJ's offense.
I have a feeling that Zenon will make some runs like Godhigh. I can see Perkins stepping up as well. Deon Hill could come back strong. We have some weapons here.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree we have weapons. I just think Godhigh will be the biggest loss on offense at a position where we have quite a bit of depth. I'm excited to see JT/TB and ZL run this offense the way it should be run.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You know the more I think on it.... I think the biggest key to breaking the option wide open is the OT getting that LB block. That one block seems to be huge!

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
You know the more I think on it.... I think the biggest key to breaking the option wide open is the OT getting that LB block. That one block seems to be huge!

I agree. It seems that teams have figured out that is the best way to defend the option. I hope we are practicing against that look A LOT. Spring game is not enough.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Vad took too long to get the pass off. Coach sees that JT has accuracy with the quick release. Could be good on the wheel route.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We ran a lot of snap it to Vad, have him run around the end, and then turn his back to the defender and cower down. I would just be happy to see a QB throw a shoulder into a defender again.

If that's the case, what does it say about CPJ and JT that Vad was still the starter all season?

CPJ also said about Vad at the conference: "Vad's a good kid. I wish him well. He didn't feel like he fit what we did. He's probably right."

Not sure CPJ is helping himself when he says that because CPJ is the one that recruited Vad, and the one that kept saying he would tailor the offense to the talent. If Vad didn't fit the system, then why even recruit him in the first place? Vad didn't make any secrets about changing the perception of our offense and wanting to expand on "the triple option offense". CPJ knew what he was getting in Vad.

thwgjacket

If that's the case, what does it say about CPJ and JT that Vad was still the starter all season?

CPJ also said about Vad at the conference: "Vad's a good kid. I wish him well. He didn't feel like he fit what we did. He's probably right."

Not sure CPJ is helping himself when he says that because CPJ is the one that recruited Vad, and the one that kept saying he would tailor the offense to the talent. If Vad didn't fit the system, then why even recruit him in the first place? Vad didn't make any secrets about changing the perception of our offense and wanting to expand on "the triple option offense". CPJ knew what he was getting in Vad.
It says that CPJ was willing to alter his offense to maximize his players abilities. Even though a lot of people like to say he's stubborn. Vad did fit the system from an athletic standpoint. He could run and throw. What Vad didn't have was the mental fortitude and toughness to run the TO. It wasn't always like that. I don't know if he took a bad hit or what but at some point in the season last year he became soft. CPJ then began giving JT more opportunities but he got hurt in the Miami game on a hit that would have injured 99% of the QB's in college football.
I get trying to make it a CPJ problem because that seems like the fashionable thing to do right now. But this had everything to do with Vad Lee deciding he was going to be soft and it really came to an ultimate point of softness in the bowl game.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree thwgjacket. Vad was an athlete and fit our system. Vad could have invested the same time learning and perfecting the option instead of passing skills. This may have been a better investment in time. Vad did not "fit" our system more so after he started hanging out with other QBs and the QB professional. I think they got into his head.

CPJ was right. It was time to part ways when Vad determined he wanted to be a passer in a running team. Especially since his passing skills did not produce results given our team design and makeup. Vad made the right choice and did the team a service even if many of you may not see.

Vad was a GT player and is a fine young man. He had some good runs in 2013.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It says that CPJ was willing to alter his offense to maximize his players abilities. Even though a lot of people like to say he's stubborn. Vad did fit the system from an athletic standpoint. He could run and throw. What Vad didn't have was the mental fortitude and toughness to run the TO. It wasn't always like that. I don't know if he took a bad hit or what but at some point in the season last year he became soft. CPJ then began giving JT more opportunities but he got hurt in the Miami game on a hit that would have injured 99% of the QB's in college football.
I get trying to make it a CPJ problem because that seems like the fashionable thing to do right now. But this had everything to do with Vad Lee deciding he was going to be soft and it really came to an ultimate point of softness in the bowl game.

I agree that something changed. But I don't think it's all on CPJ or all on Vad as some posters want to make it out to be. You can't tell a kid that you're going to do XYZ to the offense, make a big deal about it (installing the pistol...studying the Redskins....etc), then at the same time say "Well, he doesn't fit what we do and we're going to go back to what we do best".

At the same time, Vad had 20+ years of CPJ coaching history to look at before he signed. He should have known going in that CPJ was only going to do so much.

At the end of the day, people are right, it was the best thing for both parties that Vad left. CPJ wasn't getting the play he needed from his QB, and Vad wasn't in a system that fit what he wanted to do. I certainly think Vad gave GT his all and doesn't deserve the pot shots he's getting now that he's gone.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree that something changed. But I don't think it's all on CPJ or all on Vad as some posters want to make it out to be. You can't tell a kid that you're going to do XYZ to the offense, make a big deal about it (installing the pistol...studying the Redskins....etc), then at the same time say "Well, he doesn't fit what we do and we're going to go back to what we do best".

At the same time, Vad had 20+ years of CPJ coaching history to look at before he signed. He should have known going in that CPJ was only going to do so much.

At the end of the day, people are right, it was the best thing for both parties that Vad left. CPJ wasn't getting the play he needed from his QB, and Vad wasn't in a system that fit what he wanted to do. I certainly think Vad gave GT his all and doesn't deserve the pot shots he's getting now that he's gone.

I think most understood the "passing more" and the new stuff to be expansion not replacement.