Ken Suguira's Spring Two-Deep prediction

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I think the WRs will rotate sufficiently that being the "starter" opposite Smelter won't mean too much...but to the extent it means something, I expect Waller to get the nod over Summers.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Don't give up on Anthony Autry claiming first string status. As a true freshman he had become a true play maker. Maybe one these 1- 8 type of guys! Heck I might even start a 1-8 threads. That would very interesting.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I agree that if anyone beats out Waller, it will be Autry.
Darren is our best deep threat, but Autry's value as a blocker is considerable.

Summers is quick but not reliable enough in his assignments yet, IMO.

One thing to feel good about is the lack of drops by all of our WRs. We are much better in that area than we were only a few years ago.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I agree that if anyone beats out Waller, it will be Autry.
Darren is our best deep threat, but Autry's value as a blocker is considerable.

Summers is quick but not reliable enough in his assignments yet, IMO.

One thing to feel good about is the lack of drops by all of our WRs. We are much better in that area than we were only a few years ago.
Don't forget that Autry had 2 long touchdown receptions in I believe 2 consecutive games. Then got hurt!

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
He had the long TD catch v. BC and then a long reception v. Clemson which did not score.
The Clemson catch was a playaction off a corner blitz, if I recall correctly. Autry made the catch and made 2 guys miss before getting run down. It was an exciting play.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
He had the long TD catch v. BC and then a long reception v. Clemson which did not score.
The Clemson catch was a playaction off a corner blitz, if I recall correctly. Autry made the catch and made 2 guys miss before getting run down. It was an exciting play.
Thanks for the correction, and it just further makes me believe that he will become a 1-8 guy. That is of course his injury is no problem.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anthony Autry is an interesting case to me. I think he is a very instinctive and aggressive player, especially considering his size. I kind of see him like RG. He shouldn't be as good as he is, given some of his limitations. However, he always seems to make the play or make the block. The downside is he is not very fast and he is light in the pants. Calling him 1-8 type that will raise the bar? I dunno. I hope so. At the very least, he is a guy that will help with quality depth. I trust him, and that is more than I can say about some of the other guys we have out on the boundary.

The guy I really want to see step up is Waller. I wish he would go ahead and get serious about every phase of being a ball player. If he had Autry's attitude and demeanor, we wouldn't even be talking about who the starters are. We would know. It is hard to imagine Smelter unlocking his grip on one side. The other side is up in the air.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Is this COMING OUT of Spring?
if Custis is not a factor at bback ,then we have big trouble in '15
if Griffin can't win a OT job,again we have BIG problems this yr

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do we have good depth on Special Teams? Is it even needed?

ST were #22 in the country last year. Better than O or D. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feist2013

I don't know about depth, but we now play our starters on ST and have a focused coach (or did). But you do need depth at ST, especially for areas like long snapper and kick returner and coverage and kicking and {you get the idea}.

STs are so fricking needed, we lost most of our 2011 season to sh*tty STs when we were 100th.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is this COMING OUT of Spring?
if Custis is not a factor at bback ,then we have big trouble in '15
if Griffin can't win a OT job,again we have BIG problems this yr

+1. Custis needs to be a factor this year. We need two big bruising BBs who pound the line every play because the D thinks they are a threat every play.

CPJ spread option works on the BB causing the D to defend the center of the field. When that doesn't happen, we suck against good teams.

NewJacketFan

Georgia Tech Fan
ST were #22 in the country last year. Better than O or D. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feist2013

I don't know about depth, but we now play our starters on ST and have a focused coach (or did). But you do need depth at ST, especially for areas like long snapper and kick returner and coverage and kicking and {you get the idea}.

STs are so fricking needed, we lost most of our 2011 season to sh*tty STs when we were 100th.
Great Info. Thanks for the link. Shows good work done by Coach Walk.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I like that Summers runs the smoke screen. He's no Bay Bay yet, but having the ability to run that effectively in our playbook takes a lot of pressure away from the center of the field. Maybe JT will be able to actually throw the pass to the man instead of sailing it over his head.

Waller has every physical skill to be a dynamic player, but he has done very little. I think he wins the job by being better than everyone else, not being as good as he can be.