Ken’s AJC article on Patrick Suddes ...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I wouldn’t question any player’s fanhood, simple joke about confusing Joe Ham for Errin Joe.

As for the Bobby Ross about losing to Duke, I stand corrected. @Supersizethatorder-mutt

But I remain steadfast about Ross not losing to Duke in 97,98,99 like you said

Yeah, if the Detroit Lions lost to Duke those years I'm sure it would have been noteworthy... :D:D:D

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Erin Joe is who came to mind when I typed Joe? OK.
Well, the fact that the very next name you typed was someone's last name seems like a logical defense for my misunderreading you. That and the fact that Erin Joe is actually still involved with the program and would have a much more relevant opinion than Joe Hamilton, whom I greatly admired as a player, though I didn't know him at all as a person. I really don't see how Joe Ham's opinion on this particular issue is to be held in high regard since he didn't play for CPJ. If Joe H did speak poorly of CPJ, that would be a bad showing for Joe, since CPJ gave him every chance in the world to be a big part of GT football (probably would've ended up a position coach ... probably better not to rehash that story). I guess I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt for your "player-informed" opinion.

I wish you would've actually tried to respond to the relevant part of the post instead of the completely irrelevant part. I still don't know what you're claiming about "players' opinions", and would truly like to know. If you're saying those former players who didn't play for CPJ weren't fans of his offense, that's a way different claim that them saying he was a bad coach or current players talking bad about CPJ or something like that. I'd be mostly ambivalent about those guys preferring a different offense or even saying that the social media stuff is being handled better. If CPJ-guys were saying that he was a bad coach or that they didn't like him, that would be news to me and would go completely against (almost) everything I've heard from anyone in that lot. So, again, that is a bold and slanderous claim, which is why I'm making a big deal about it. If this is just about the three guys you mentioned, it's not a big deal at all, and I would have even expected it. What did Calvin, Joe H, and Key say? And, what claim are you making about former players' opinions? It may be that we're not at odds, which is what I'm trying (somewhat irritatingly) to find out.

Last edited:

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
He played for Gailey. Who did you play for?
This is true. And, when people trashed CCG (and they did a lot back then), I defended him too, even though I very much liked the new CPJ hire. And, now I defend CPJ, even though I have some reason for hope for this new CGC hire. And, probably when the day comes, I'll probably defend CGC too. I know for sure I'll defend CGC over the next two years if the wins aren't there and people start bashing him. Gotta give him fair time to do his thing ... If he's going to live and die completely by recruiting, that's obviously going to take years to show up in the win column.
I try to mostly hold my peace, and can do so most of the time. Sometimes I can't, like this time. One of my pet-peeves in these cases is when people put someone down when they really know nothing about them or the situation. It's so easy to put someone else down who's actually the one in the ring doing the fighting while the critic is on his couch ... like fans booing players ... it doesn't sit well with me.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Duhhh, Ross was head coach at Tech from 1987 til 1991. He was 2-3 against Duke, losing 14-48 in 1987, 21-31 in 1988 (HC), and 19-30 in 1989.
It's not wise to make claims that you can't backup.

No shame in this. Steve Spurrier in his prime would’ve whipped any Tech coach not named Dodd.

Dropping 4/5 to old man Cutcliffe is waaaaay more embarrassing.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Duhhh, Ross was head coach at Tech from 1987 til 1991. He was 2-3 against Duke, losing 14-48 in 1987, 21-31 in 1988 (HC), and 19-30 in 1989.
It's not wise to make claims that you can't backup.
I was at all the games in Durham. The 48-14 loss really got to Ross. The Dookies put some message disparaging GT on the scoreboard at the end of the game. A picture of that scoreboard message supposedly ended up on the locker room wall as a reminder. I never saw it as I was leaving the game and didn’t notice it but he sure did.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at all the games in Durham. The 48-14 loss really got to Ross. The Dookies put some message disparaging GT on the scoreboard at the end of the game. A picture of that scoreboard message supposedly ended up on the locker room wall as a reminder. I never saw it as I was leaving the game and didn’t notice it but he sure did.
Wasnt' the message something like "welcome to the cellar techies"?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
The few? OK buddy.

You really think Collins hiring, the comments from Joe, Key, & Calvin come from no where huh?

What comments are you even talking about? And I’m gonna ask for some links to actual comments, because your interpretation of how you remember them is going to be filtered through your own bias and inherently unreliable.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
This is true. And, when people trashed CCG (and they did a lot back then), I defended him too, even though I very much liked the new CPJ hire. And, now I defend CPJ, even though I have some reason for hope for this new CGC hire. And, probably when the day comes, I'll probably defend CGC too. I know for sure I'll defend CGC over the next two years if the wins aren't there and people start bashing him. Gotta give him fair time to do his thing ... If he's going to live and die completely by recruiting, that's obviously going to take years to show up in the win column.
I try to mostly hold my peace, and can do so most of the time. Sometimes I can't, like this time. One of my pet-peeves in these cases is when people put someone down when they really know nothing about them or the situation. It's so easy to put someone else down who's actually the one in the ring doing the fighting while the critic is on his couch ... like fans booing players ... it doesn't sit well with me.

Wouldn't it be great if people could just say "CPJ we thank you for all the great moments you, your staff, and the players gave us during your time here and we appreciate that you led our program with class and dignity and did the same thing when you felt your time here had come to a close. And CGC we are very excited to see the uniqueness you bring and can't wait for what comes next!"

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If this is true then it's a huge indictment on TStan. If he withheld support from CPJ simply because he wasn't as outgoing as CGC, then that's not saying much for him as a leader. I'm betting that the impetus of staff transition caused more donations by donors which allowed TStan to free up extra money.

Or you can keep blaming CPJ for the former shoestring budget GT football was working under. (61st in P5 football, behind every ACC team but WFU)

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ollege_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

I heard CPJ many many many times talk about and promote the virtues of GT and what it means to our student athletes. And he pleaded for more resources especially recruiting $s way before TStan. He was not the cheerleader that our current coach is but he was a true Tech man that believed in all of its virtues. People that know him know that this is true. The undeniable truth is that he did not get the support the current staff is getting. Can we please stop the jabs against CPJ!!!!

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's apparent that our fan base is fractured. People seem to fall into three camps.

1st are the CPJ die-hards that refuse to see any positive in CGC and do everything they can to diminish the efforts of the new regime.

2nd are the anti-CPJ diehards who readily consume the hype of the new program as proof that CPJ was this incompetent fool who didn't know how to run a successful program.

Finally, you have those of us who loved CPJ and yet are eagerly anticipating GT football under CGC. We seem to be a minority right now. We are fully supportive of CGC but can't stand to CPJ trashed in the process.

I was close to cancelling my season tickets this year prior to the announcement of CPJs retirement. I had spoken to @Supersizethatorder-mutt and @buzz_wiser© and a few others at the tailgate about how family issues might prevent me from coming to a lot of games this year. When CPJ retired and they announced CGC, I renewed my tickets so I could help send a message of unity in our fan base. Too bad that unity doesn't actually exist. You guys can keep crapping on our former HC, but you can count me out. It is possible to be a fan of CPJ and fully support the new regime. In spite of what so many of you try to get others to believe, it is not a zero sum game.
Great post! I like this in spades and I am in your court