Kelly Quinlan on 680 the fan

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Oliver goes on a rant about how Calvin Johnson is the best ever but there won't ever be another. Then he talks out of the other side of his mouth about how Bay Bay was almost the same. Then he makes a little sense about how the media always wants to point to the other 6'3"+ WR's on GT's roster and say whether he is the next Bay Bay. He makes a little more sense when he says he thought Stephen Hill was going to be it because he looked like it, but he wasn't in the same ball park as Bay Bay. But, then he doesn't make any sense at all when he throws Smelter into the same category as Hill and says he wasn't even close. [To me Smelter is in the same category as Calvin and Bay Bay - the category of GREAT GT WR's.]

Then he introduces KQ with that question of who is the next Bay Bay on GT's roster. KQ says that the latest buzz is around Jalen Camp - that he's 6'3" 215lbs, strong, and physical. Don't expect him to be Bay Bay yet because he's a true freshman and needs more development on speed, routes, hands, etc. But, CPJ doesn't rave much and has raved some about Camp, and that Camp has been destroying some people at practice. KQ says that Jeune isn't on the level of a Bay Bay but is pretty much a very good possession WR who has just enough athleticism to hurt you if he has a window. He then compares Stewart to Waller [I don't see it], says he's a big kid, says he won't wow with his speed but that he's never intimidated and can make some highlight reel catches at times.

Then they talk about how CCG recruited such an NFL-caliber roster [Ok, how about some revisionist history...] and that CPJ doesn't get the same caliber of player, but is a better game day coach. The one time we had the overlap of CPJ's game and CCG's recruits we saw the Orange Bowl and ACC Championship in '09. Then he acknowledged the roll we're presently on in recruiting and that we might be starting to turn the corner there to get back to those glory days of CCG [OOOKKKK??]. KQ says this kind of recruiting uptick for GT has only happened twice since he's been covering GT, and the other time was 2010 after the '09 championship season. Oliver then goes off on how CPJ wants more money for recruiting staff and locker room upgrades, but that we can't do any of that until we have the AD situation squared away. KQ agrees and brings up Clemson's ridiculousness with the whiffle ball field and badmitton courts and everything else for athletes and says GT doesn't have to get that crazy but does need to do some stuff, and that fundraising needs to be a big priority for the new AD. Oliver says finding a new football coach is easy, you just see a guy who went 10-2 at Bowling Green and conclude that he must be a good coach, but for an AD you need to see all of the books for his prior position. Oliver finishes by speaking all kinds of hyperbole (non-truth) about GT's facilities and how we don't even have a locker room and that if you go to GT, it's still the 80's and Bryan Adams is at the top of the charts as far as all of our facilities go. [All of this is blown completely out of proportion, I think we have great facilities, but I guess in the arms race, maybe we're behind, I don't know. The locker room was brand newly built in 2002. The weight room was just redone.] They both talked about how GT has the smartest people on earth on campus and should be able to figure stuff like this out [stuff like creating money and space to build anything and everything an athlete could possibly desire].

That was pretty much it in my mind, but you can still listen to it using the link in the OP. Overall, I enjoyed the interview more than not, and appreciate the coverage. KQ is knowledgeable in his GT coverage and reporting.

Last edited:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the recap. Appears that the same old myths keep resurfacing. If we won the National championship, they would still repeat: can't recruit certain positions, high school offense, yada, yada, and yada!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Chuck Oliver is an idiot. Most of the sports talk guys are, actually. You've got to remember that they are in the entertainment business, so they say what the listeners want to hear. Most of the listeners are Georgia fans, so you get a lot of hype about them and a lot of crap about everyone else. Is what it is...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Chuck Oliver is an idiot..
What you say is true.

And, yes, most sports people don't know diddly about football. It's way more complicated at every level then any other major sport and requires coaching and/or playing experience to understand even at an elementary level.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I should also have said that you can get a good understanding of football by watching it and reading about it. But - and here I speak for myself - that will still give you only an elementary understanding of the game. I love Tech football and I've watched it for decades. I also played football back in the Dark Ages. For all that and a good deal of casual study, I'm still a football novice. It's just a hard sport to get straight.

Chuck is a fine example of the way people in sports take the easy way out on this: go for the click bait and ignore the rest.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
that's so awesome..we used to watch DT's highlights in chemistry and I told him that they play the same way...if he turns out anything like Demaryius, that would be amazing!