Kaitlyn Johnson, opera singer

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, I hope she's ready.

You think starring on Broadway is tough? Getting even a supporting role in a regional opera makes that look like a kindergarten picnic. The quality of voice demanded is so high that most opera singers in even second line companies are like 6' 10" pro basketball players; i.e. as rare as hen's teeth. She might be that good, if the article is correct. Good luck to her going forward.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, I hope she's ready.

You think starring on Broadway is tough? Getting even a supporting role in a regional opera makes that look like a kindergarten picnic. The quality of voice demanded is so high that most opera singers in even second line companies are like 6' 10" pro basketball players; i.e. as rare as hen's teeth. She might be that good, if the article is correct. Good luck to her going forward.
You are so right. For her to be at this point in her young career already is quite the accomplishment. We'll see how she advances. She does have a rare gift, and you could hear it when she was a young teen. It's been fun to watch her develop.

One thing that sports fans might not realize about the opera world is that the athletic timeline of professional development doesn't apply. You take a ballplayer, at 25 you figure they had better have reached the top or they probably aren't going to. In opera, Kaitlyn has advanced and earned her way to this on a very fast track. She consistently hears "but you're still so young." It's a different trajectory.

You are so right. For her to be at this point in her young career already is quite the accomplishment. We'll see how she advances. She does have a rare gift, and you could hear it when she was a young teen. It's been fun to watch her develop.

One thing that sports fans might not realize about the opera world is that the athletic timeline of professional development doesn't apply. You take a ballplayer, at 25 you figure they had better have reached the top or they probably aren't going to. In opera, Kaitlyn has advanced and earned her way to this on a very fast track. She consistently hears "but you're still so young." It's a different trajectory.
Augusta used to have a professional regional opera company, and I sang in the chorus for 30 years. The young singers who came through here were phenomenal, and many went on to roles in major opera houses throughout the world. I hope that Kaitlyn can do that too.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
But the question to PJ is ... what's his favorite opera? He more a Verdi guy or a Gilbert and Sullivan guy? Or Wagner, with the "Ride of the Valkyries." I guess with Kaitlyn's role in "Carmen" he'll be more of a Bizet fan.
I mean, besides Grand Ole Opry ....

But the question to PJ is ... what's his favorite opera? He more a Verdi guy or a Gilbert and Sullivan guy? Or Wagner, with the "Ride of the Valkyries." I guess with Kaitlyn's role in "Carmen" he'll be more of a Bizet fan.
Since there are only two Bizet operas of note, I'm sure she will be moving on.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Interesting question. The answer is Wagner if you get his politics.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Augusta used to have a professional regional opera company, and I sang in the chorus for 30 years. The young singers who came through here were phenomenal, and many went on to roles in major opera houses throughout the world. I hope that Kaitlyn can do that too.
From now on I'll here this in the background of every one of your future posts. Thanks a lot.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Good article by Ken on CPJ's daughter. If you can't open it in your browser, try Chrome Incognito mode. It's a good read.

https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...paul-johnson-daughter/XFO6Kz5ncRVgx7ncvjz56J/

Is this the Atlanta Opera' s recent performance of Carmen? I could not read the article. My daughter works there as some kind of executive assistant to that dude who is the artistic director. His name is Tomer something or another. He is Israeli and really good. My wife and a friend went with my daughter to see the Tuesday night performance and had a blast. I was not aware that Paul Johnson's daughter is in the cast (if in fact she is in that performance of Carmen) Don't know much about opera but I have seen a few real life prima donnas in my time.

Is this the Atlanta Opera' s recent performance of Carmen? I could not read the article. My daughter works there as some kind of executive assistant to that dude who is the artistic director. His name is Tomer something or another. He is Israeli and really good. My wife and a friend went with my daughter to see the Tuesday night performance and had a blast. I was not aware that Paul Johnson's daughter is in the cast (if in fact she is in that performance of Carmen) Don't know much about opera but I have seen a few real life prima donnas in my time.
According to the article, yes, that's the recent (or current) production of Carmen. Although many opera singers are indeed prima donnas, the article says that Kaitlyn does not act like one, mainly due to having had a well grounded upbringing as well as having been active in church. According to the article, she sang the part of Frasquita, one of Carmen's gypsy friends. Her big moment in the opera is in what is referred to as "The Card Scene", where she, the other friend Mercedes, and Carmen read tarot cards predicting Carmen's tragic future. It is a small but significant part, so Kaitlyn did not just have a bit part in the production. Probably a good US professional debut for her.

Did you try Chrome incognito mode? That should allow you to read any article anywhere that otherwise requires a subscription. If you don't have Chrome, it's worth the time to download it, and it's free.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
According to the article, yes, that's the recent (or current) production of Carmen. Although many opera singers are indeed prima donnas, the article says that Kaitlyn does not act like one, mainly due to having had a well grounded upbringing as well as having been active in church. According to the article, she sang the part of Frasquita, one of Carmen's gypsy friends. Her big moment in the opera is in what is referred to as "The Card Scene", where she, the other friend Mercedes, and Carmen read tarot cards predicting Carmen's tragic future. It is a small but significant part, so Kaitlyn did not just have a bit part in the production. Probably a good US professional debut for her.

Thank you for the answer. I will ask my daughter if she got to meet her back stage. She, (my daughter) is very happy working for the Atlanta Opera and appreciates the culture and finer things of life that her daddy was to busy making a living to experience. It has been a long road for her but she is happy to be in Atlanta after living for years in Washington DC among other places.