Justin Thomas will try out for the 49ers

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
JT will look to join Smelter as a WR in SF. It looks like they've got a vision for him as a slot receiver, but he doesn't have a contract yet, just an invitation to try out for the team. He's definitely got the skills to make it, but there's obviously going to be a learning curve given the fact that he's always been a QB. Hopefully he'll make a good impression and land a contract.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
The Atlanta D is aggressive. JT had a hard time taking a hit. What makes you think he could deliver a hit.
He never seemed to have a hard time taking a hit... I saw him get popped several times and he always (surprisingly) got right back up. Can't be an option QB without being pretty tough. Regardless, I was thinking of him more in a slot receiver role like Taylor Gabriel, hence why I brought up Devin Fuller. But now that you mention it, he's pretty much the same height and weight as Ricardo Allen and Robert Alford. CB or S could work too. Though it's a moot point, since the Falcons aren't one of the 3 teams to contact him.

Troutbum

Georgia Tech Fan
I watched the Steve Largent story last night on Football Life. I didn't realize that he was listed at 5'10" and his listed 40 time was 4.6.

Finished as the all time leading receiver in catches and yards. He credited his success to precise route running and deception.

I enjoyed his story and was thinking that JT has more quickness and speed than Largent.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched the Steve Largent story last night on Football Life. I didn't realize that he was listed at 5'10" and his listed 40 time was 4.6.

Finished as the all time leading receiver in catches and yards. He credited his success to precise route running and deception.

I enjoyed his story and was thinking that JT has more quickness and speed than Largent.
I love Largent. I even have his jersey. But it's hard to compare him to today's WRs. The game was different back then. Largent was an elite route runner and one tough SOB. Justin is much more athletic and less practiced at route running than Largent when he went to the Seahawks. The closest modern comparison I can make to Largent is Jason Witten. Justin is more like Welker or Edelman.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I love Largent. I even have his jersey. But it's hard to compare him to today's WRs. The game was different back then. Largent was an elite route runner and one tough SOB. Justin is much more athletic and less practiced at route running than Largent when he went to the Seahawks. The closest modern comparison I can make to Largent is Jason Witten. Justin is more like Welker or Edelman.
That's why I look for him to sign with the Pats.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Had a hard time taking hits and only sat out one game in 3 seasons? Did you watch any of the games or...?

That's funny, I count 3 games.

Miami 2013. Didn't start but got shellacked and didn't go back in.

Miami 2015. Knocked out of the game.

Virginia Tech 2016. Didn't play due to injury.

Duke 2014. Injured. Taken out much too late in game for us to mount comeback. Jeremy Cash was eating his lunch in that game and the one in Durham in 2015.

Overall, I would give his entire body of work a solid B+.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Overall, I would give his entire body of work a solid B+.

2 out of 3 against Uga...that's like passing a Calculus final. Doesn't matter that you flunked all the tests and the midterm...you still passed the class. So that fact by itself drives up the grade higher than a B+. He is in the second group (Dewberry, Godsey, Nesbitt, JT) behind only JHam and S.Jones when ranking GT QB's. My experience though watching the Jackets began in the late 70's under Pepper so I cannot comment on some others.