Justin Thomas update

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Back to the topic: With JT at QB, I am concerned with short yardage, where we have to pick up a yard or two. We have had problems with 3rd and long no matter who the QB is. I am talking about 3rd and 7 or 8.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Back to the topic: With JT at QB, I am concerned with short yardage, where we have to pick up a yard or two. We have had problems with 3rd and long no matter who the QB is. I am talking about 3rd and 7 or 8.

If that is indeed a problem, then we could move Thomas to wr, Smelter to ab, and Days to qb. We could use this alignment to establish a tendency in the early games and break the tendency at a crucial time later in the schedule.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Third and short, I like Byerly. He is smooth and holds the mesh longer, plus runs bigger. Not JN warrior status, but the one I'd pick from the ones we have seen.

Now Matthew Jordan may change all that. But I don't see his RS getting burnt for short yardage situations. But if Jordan is good enough to overtake JT and Byerly, that is real good for the team. We'll just have to wait until August & September.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
JT will be fine with time and reps. That is a must with any qb in this offense. The whole "going into his 3rd year" is misleading. The first two years he's more or less a glorified waterboy. Yes, he gets a few practice reps and gets to go to meetings and even gets some garbage time in games. All that's well and good, but it pales in comparison to actual game day, full speed reps with the full package of plays (not the limited package he had in garbage time last year.) He's not really gonna see a big jump in execution till he has a few real games under his belt as the #1 guy.
YEp u cant get better until you play more.JTwill be fine.......we are counting on him big time!

rbr

Georgia Tech Fan
I have to agree that our coaches need to display more positive reinforcement. No, they aren't in the business of babysitting and praising, but positive reinforcement can go along ways. If you continuously play down the kid, then he'll begin to believe he's not that good. Confidence can be the difference between winning and losing. Someone mentioned that they are glad I don't run our military, but GT football isn't the military and neither is college football as a whole. For once in a while, smile and have fun CPJ. And for once in a while, shower these kids with praise and help them instill confidence (even if they aren't playing all that well).

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I think CPJ is just a realist. He just said today the defense is the best it has looked since he has been here. I know that may be saying much considering the state our D has been since he has been here, but that is still some high praise right there. He has high expectations for this offense and sure praise would be good for motivation, but it could also make players complacent, and I think that is the last thing you want happening during spring practice.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have to agree that our coaches need to display more positive reinforcement. No, they aren't in the business of babysitting and praising, but positive reinforcement can go along ways. If you continuously play down the kid, then he'll begin to believe he's not that good. Confidence can be the difference between winning and losing. Someone mentioned that they are glad I don't run our military, but GT football isn't the military and neither is college football as a whole. For once in a while, smile and have fun CPJ. And for once in a while, shower these kids with praise and help them instill confidence (even if they aren't playing all that well).
What he says to the players on the practice field and in the locker room is not what he says to the media. Don't confuse the two. CPJ is well aware of the psychology of the player/coach relationship. I've heard him say in the past that every player is unique in how they are motivated: some guys need an encouraging word, some need praise and some need a swift kick in the pants. Imo, he is very much in tune with this aspect of coaching.

When he talks to the media, it's more about where we stand as a team on the continuum towards perfection. We're a long way from that right now and he let's us know it in no uncertain terms. I, for one, appreciate the honesty.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Third and short, I like Byerly. He is smooth and holds the mesh longer, plus runs bigger. Not JN warrior status, but the one I'd pick from the ones we have seen.

Now Matthew Jordan may change all that. But I don't see his RS getting burnt for short yardage situations. But if Jordan is good enough to overtake JT and Byerly, that is real good for the team. We'll just have to wait until August & September.

Matthew Jordan is so far behind both physically and mentally right now I have to laugh at you even suggesting the possibility of him taking over anything this year. Remember he should still be in HS and it shows at this point. I've seen him in scrimmages and he is totally lost and overmatched. If you are comparing his HS tape into what you think he's doing now...not even close. Justin is clearly the #1 QB in this offense this year. There should be no more discussion on Jordan until next year. Griffin looks better than Jordan at this point. Jordan will RS this year. You can bet the house on it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
LOL. I haven't seen him playing in scrimmages. So I have no idea when Matthew will be ready. He is a gym rat who will kill people at will at some point. I think we are going to be set at QB for a long time. DL and other positions are another matter.

I don't bet the house unless I have a statistical advantage. I have no advantage here :eek: so I pontificate.

Gojackets55

Banned
Justin Thomas will take our offense to another level. No one PJ has ever had at Tech is as quick at JT. When you can get to the edge as quick as he does it opens up the dive.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
From what I have been told from someone at the practices is that Justin has been coming along quite well...today was his worst day.

Gojackets55

Banned
Good teams made Tevin and Vad try to beat them with their legs. Thats why we haven't seen a b-back with a wide open running lane in 4 years.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I like the size and physicality that Smelter brings to the backfield in short yardage.

I don't think you can just throw him back there and ask him to go full speed and take a handoff and not fumble it. I like giving the ball to the BB. A guy who's use to handling it.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you can just throw him back there and ask him to go full speed and take a handoff and not fumble it. I like giving the ball to the BB. A guy who's use to handling it.
I wouldn't have him in the backfield to carry the ball as Synjyn would be on a keep.

Gojackets55

Banned
Why are you guys wanting JT at a-back? We need a play making qb. He is our best athlete on the offensive side of the ball. We need the ball in his hands every play not 10 plays a game.