Justin Thomas update

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Those brief comments are good for tempering our expectaions. Sounds like he's developing like a freshman would. He's going to make mistakes, but he should get better with more reps and experience.

Glad we keep hearing about his natural ability. That's encouraging.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He's a sophomore, and the comments temper expectations greatly. It would be nice to hear that he has one area of being a QB in the system down pretty good going into his third year.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
They're probably talking him down so he'll work hard and we don't have another Vad incident where everyone over hypes him. It's not like we haven't seen justin play. He wasn't far behind Vad last year. I personally think he should've gotten snaps when Vad was struggling.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
He's a sophomore, and the comments temper expectations greatly. It would be nice to hear that he has one area of being a QB in the system down pretty good going into his third year.

What's the obsession with tempering expectations!? This program needs some hype and some swagger. GT fans are so afraid of being disappointed. It's kinda sad.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
What's the obsession with tempering expectations!? This program needs some hype and some swagger. GT fans are so afraid of being disappointed. It's kinda sad.

You hype players when they've done something if you do so before that point then they could get a big head and not strive to get better or at least not work as hard. That's simple motivational tactics. They didn't hype Johnny manziel until after he made a few teams look silly.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
You hype players when they've done something if you do so before that point then they could get a big head and not strive to get better or at least not work as hard. That's simple motivational tactics. They didn't hype Johnny manziel until after he made a few teams look silly.

Agreed, and I'm actually excited to hear Coach Cook say that he'd rather coach a guy who drives him nuts working on the details, but has the ability to just "make something happen." Midway through 2011, TW had become so good with reads and understanding, but just didn't possess that ability Cook is talking about. If JT gains that mastery as this season progresses, we'll be in good shape.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I realize the players don't need to get puffed up, so valid point. I'm just saying that we've got a habit of downplaying everything. It doesn't sell tickets. Are we expecting the sports media to do it for us? They aren't.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I'm very optimistic about this year. Maybe not so much in the win column, but in the excitement level that we have been missing since '09.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That's the media's job or the SID's job, not the coaches'. The last thing they need is give a kid a big head that cuts into his work ethic or to put undo pressure on a kid with inflated expectations. Let ESPN be the hype machine when he actually does something on the field.

sl1m75

Georgia Tech Fan
Hype doesn't sell tickets.

Sustained winning is what sells.

This is a fact. Coach gave an honest assessment of how the players were doing. Looks like they had one of those days where they needed to fight through the fatigue and some guys didn't do that as well as they should have. As for JT I think he will be fine as long as he keeps working hard at honing his craft..remember the first spring under CPJ with all the fumbles in the spring game...that group of guys turned out alright didn't they.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is a fact. Coach gave an honest assessment of how the players were doing. Looks like they had one of those days where they needed to fight through the fatigue and some guys didn't do that as well as they should have. As for JT I think he will be fine as long as he keeps working hard at honing his craft..remember the first spring under CPJ with all the fumbles in the spring game...that group of guys turned out alright didn't they.
JT will be fine with time and reps. That is a must with any qb in this offense. The whole "going into his 3rd year" is misleading. The first two years he's more or less a glorified waterboy. Yes, he gets a few practice reps and gets to go to meetings and even gets some garbage time in games. All that's well and good, but it pales in comparison to actual game day, full speed reps with the full package of plays (not the limited package he had in garbage time last year.) He's not really gonna see a big jump in execution till he has a few real games under his belt as the #1 guy.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
JT will be fine with time and reps. That is a must with any qb in this offense. The whole "going into his 3rd year" is misleading. The first two years he's more or less a glorified waterboy. Yes, he gets a few practice reps and gets to go to meetings and even gets some garbage time in games. All that's well and good, but it pales in comparison to actual game day, full speed reps with the full package of plays (not the limited package he had in garbage time last year.) He's not really gonna see a big jump in execution till he has a few real games under his belt as the #1 guy.

Um, no. Being a backup quarterback on a division one, BCS conference team is not like being a glorified waterboy especially a guy that has the expectations that he has. 4*, phenomenal athlete, future starter etc. He's gotten a good amount of reps. If our system, or coaches, can't prepare a player in two years to step in without looking befuddled and bewildered during game time then there is something wrong with the system, coaches, or both.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't forget the value of a kid seeing HIMSELF in game film. It is all well and good watching another guys successes and failures on film and projecting oneself into the same situation mentally. I believe the light will come on for JT AFTER he gets a larger sample size of HIMSELF playing on film. When that happens, he will be able to relate what he was seeing on the field in the moment, and the decisions he made, to what he can see on the film. It can be quite revealing. He doesn't have that benefit right now, or not much of it anyway. Spring practice will help. Summer practice will help too, but I agree with whoever said he needs game reps ultimately.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't forget the value of a kid seeing HIMSELF in game film. It is all well and good watching another guys successes and failures on film and projecting oneself into the same situation mentally. I believe the light will come on for JT AFTER he gets a larger sample size of HIMSELF playing on film. When that happens, he will be able to relate what he was seeing on the field in the moment, and the decisions he made, to what he can see on the film. It can be quite revealing. He doesn't have that benefit right now, or not much of it anyway. Spring practice will help. Summer practice will help too, but I agree with whoever said he needs game reps ultimately.

Kinda disagree. He has plenty of tape on himself. station tape, practice tape, scrimmage tape...they film everything.

I agree with the premise that game snaps will help, of course they do. hopefully we'll see it quickly come together for him this season. But to imply a player into his third year at Tech is a glorified waterboy, which would suggest he's not very far along, is not true. If it is true, then we have serious problems. I expect, as most should, that a third year quarterback (who's been destined to start) in our system enters the season with a little more knowledge and starter-level understanding of our system than a headset wearing, clipboard carrier.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed, and I'm actually excited to hear Coach Cook say that he'd rather coach a guy who drives him nuts working on the details, but has the ability to just "make something happen." Midway through 2011, TW had become so good with reads and understanding, but just didn't possess that ability Cook is talking about. If JT gains that mastery as this season progresses, we'll be in good shape.
Often a player with great natural ability is not sufficiently "coached up" in high school and many Ugags, thus keeping him from being all that he can be. I'm glad to see Coach Cook working on details.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The bottom line is we have seen many freshman and rs freshman do great things the past years in college as a starting qb including heisman winners. Our system seems to befuddle our qbs. Hell it took tevin being a rs senior to run it efficiently. Is it the system? Coaches? Its gotta be something because it seems like we have heard misses alot of reads for all the years in pjs tenure other than tevins last year. Even nesbitt in 2009 ran a much simpler version and missed reads which is to be expected. But this is thomas's 3rd year. It was vads too.

Guys i am on the boat with some of you who are curious as to why we seem to have this problem. Clearly our system requires more in game reps than other systems.

But if thats the case why do navy qbs seem ok and they are young?

Maybe we just are too hard on expectations?