Justin Thomas to start this weekend?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Not entirely ground-breaking. Vad has displayed a better arm than we've seen under CPJ these first 4 games. But it wasn't a secret (even before the VT performance) that he wasn't running the option very well. It's a shame, because if Vad starts hitting his reads then his arm/leadership/size/speed is exactly what we need in a QB. I guess I'm surprised that JT would hypothetically be starting, but if he's making the better reads, then you've got to give him a shot. Especially with his game-breaking speed.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
If he does it makes sense..it's a win win situation. If he goes out there and tears it up then awesome, but if he doesn't then Vad goes out there pissed off and tries to prove his worth and leads us to victory...boom.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
If he does it makes sense..it's a win win situation. If he goes out there and tears it up then awesome, but if he doesn't then Vad goes out there pissed off and tries to prove his worth and leads us to victory...boom.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Probably a classic telephone-game situation where some dude heard coach's comments that he'd play this weekend. Just grew from there.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I see no reason for this to be true. If the competition between the two was so close, we would have seen Justin in the VT game to see if he could have gotten the O moving. There is absolutely no reason to pull the starter between games when the only live action the back-up has seen is during the Elon game. Now if Vad comes out flat in the first two series then yes put Justin in, if Justin lights it up then you can start him at BYU.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Quotes from CPJ at the beginning of the season on Vad Lee:

“You’re constantly talking to guys in high profile positions and you’re not going to get any higher profile than the quarterback. The most popular guy on the football team is always the backup quarterback. Until they see him play and then it’s the next guy. But Vad has been in that position where he has been the golden child and he’s been the guy that everyone wants and can’t wait to see him play. What I’ve tried to guard against for him is to not build up such a perception that there’s no way he can get to it. That’s not fair to him. That’s not fair to anybody else. As much as I hate to admit it, he’s probably not going to complete every pass, he’s not going to get every read right and there are going to be some things that go wrong. And it’s how he handles them.

“It wouldn’t be above and beyond the fans for him to miss two or three passes and to get booed once in a while. Well how do you handle that? You’ve got to be ready for it and got to be dialed in. With our last quarterback, it didn’t bother him. Nothing really bothered him. He was zoned in and he didn’t care that nobody wanted him to play. He just went in and played. That’s what you’ve got to do in order to block all of that distraction out. You can’t worry about what happens with the next guy.

“And then you’ve got to be a leader because if you’re the quarterback and you throw a couple incompletions and you start stepping on your lip and pouting, then everybody in the huddle starts doing that. You’ve got to be the guy that’s upbeat and leading and doing those things. And that’s a learning progression. Now the good thing about Vad Lee is that Vad has all of those characteristics naturally. He’s got some charisma and he carries himself very well. He carries himself as a leader and very confident guy. He’s got to be Vad, but he’s also got to realize that at the end of the first quarter on Saturday everybody’s not going to love you the same way they did before. If they do, that’s great. But don’t let it bother you. Set the standard for yourself and try to achieve that. Don’t try to live up to everybody else’s hype. You’ve got ten other guys out there playing with you, you don’t have to do it all.”

link: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082713aad.html

If I was a betting man, CPJ will stick with Vad for the foreseeable future unless Vad goes into a complete meltdown. With that said, I'm sure JT will get some looks as well but I don't see it being a significant amount.

Also, I wouldn't want to send out a RS freshman out on his first start to be against Miami....... At Miami. Yea.....

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
If Vad was at Oregon or we ran that system (out of a gun/pistol), imo Vad would be a Heisman contender.

Its sad these tweets are even surfacing. Whether true or false.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
It's funny how CPJ was right about QB2 being the most popular player on the team. Vad has the right mindset to be successful; he just needs some more reps, and I feel the VT game helped him grow even though we didn't win.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
If we had an offensive line and receivers that could hold a block we wouldn't be having this conversation. This is like saying "my car won't turn on, let's change the tires and see if that helps." I will concede that JT would likely be able to run for his life faster than Vad, but the results would be the same with more holding calls (from time spent running around and linemen trying to give him space.) If the QB was the problem JT would have come in to play during the VPI game

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
If we had an offensive line and receivers that could hold a block we wouldn't be having this conversation. This is like saying "my car won't turn on, let's change the tires and see if that helps." I will concede that JT would likely be able to run for his life faster than Vad, but the results would be the same with more holding calls (from time spent running around and linemen trying to give him space.) If the QB was the problem JT would have come in to play during the VPI game
I think it is pretty funny how quick we (as a fanbase) went from "Vad rocks" to "Vad sucks, start Justin". CPJ totally called it and it sounded like he has been preparing Vad for the fallout.