Justin Thomas projected starter heading into Fall camp

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I always hate to post this stuff because it starts the whole "oh yeah, well who is your source? I have a source...it's my...yada yada yada" argument. But here goes, and FWIW, it comes from someone as close to the organization as possible without being Paul Johnson himself:

The coaches still WANT Justin to be the starter. They like the speed and athleticism he brings to the position.
The coaches like Byerly and think he's a good #2 option because he knows the offense and runs the offense well. This guy said "Truth be told, we knew he was the best decision maker at QB on the team last year. The problem is that he has a talent and athleticism ceiling that would likely hurt the team against the better defenses." Went on to say, "Great kid. Tough kid. Gives you everything he's got."

The plan on the coaching staff was that JT would use the spring to separate himself from the others and take command of the QB position. However, the feeling on the staff is now that instead of JT separating himself from the pack, TB actually closed the gap.

He said they still think JT will separate, given more time and more reps and, his words, "Oh thank God for the schedule next year". Said right now, JT misses some reads, and when he does, his first instinct is to bounce it outside and try and make something happen on the edge; whereas, sometimes the best option is to duck your head, turn upfield and get what you can get.

Finally, said they think TB will end up taking quite a few snaps by necessity next year because JT is still very "fragile" due to his size. They're hoping he can bulk up and and add 5 pounds of muscle over the summer.

Last edited:

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I always hate to post this stuff because it starts the whole "oh yeah, well who is your source? I have a source...it's my...yada yada yada" argument. But here goes, and FWIW, it comes from someone as close to the organization as possible without being Paul Johnson himself:

The coaches still WANT Justin to be the starter. They like the speed and athleticism he brings to the position.
The coaches like Byerly and think he's a good #2 option because he knows the offense and runs the offense well. This guy said "Truth be told, we knew he was the best decision maker at QB on the team last year. The problem is that he has a talent and athleticism ceiling that would likely hurt the team against the better defenses." Went on to say, "Great kid. Tough kid. Gives you everything he's got."

The plan on the coaching staff was that JT would use the spring to separate himself from the others and take command of the QB position. However, the feeling on the staff is now that instead of JT separating himself from the pack, TB actually closed the gap.

He said they still think TB will separate, given more time and more reps and, his words, "Oh thank God for the schedule next year". Said right now, TB misses some reads, and when he does, his first instinct is to bounce it outside and try and make something happen on the edge; whereas, sometimes the best option is to duck your head, turn upfield and get what you can get.

Finally, said they think TB will end up taking quite a few snaps by necessity next year because JT is still very "fragile" due to his size. They're hoping he can bulk up and and add 5 pounds of muscle over the summer.

Thrid paragraph you mean JT?

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
exactly what i said after the spring game when everyone was claiming TB to be starter. I have heard exactly what daBuzz said. JT is starter, expect TB to play some and be fine if JT is out injured.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I edited it. I had originally said that TB would separate but meant to say that the coaches expect JT to separate.

LOL, if it weren't for me being too lazy to type out the names all the time, I probably wouldn't have made the mistake. Oh well.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
exactly what i said after the spring game when everyone was claiming TB to be starter. I have heard exactly what daBuzz said. JT is starter, expect TB to play some and be fine if JT is out injured.

Well, one slight difference that I perhaps didn't convey well in my wording. This person said that it is nowhere near a sure thing that Justin will be the starter in game one. AAMOF, he even said, "if they both continue on the same trajectory as the spring, Timmy will be the starter game one".

He said they (the coaches) all THINK that Justin will separate at some point. But he then backed that up by saying, "but then again we thought he'd separate himself from the pack in the spring. you just never know".

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Well, one slight difference that I perhaps didn't convey well in my wording. This person said that it is nowhere near a sure thing that Justin will be the starter in game one. AAMOF, he even said, "if they both continue on the same trajectory as the spring, Timmy will be the starter game one".

He said they (the coaches) all THINK that Justin will separate at some point. But he then backed that up by saying, "but then again we thought he'd separate himself from the pack in the spring. you just never know".

What else do the voices inside your head tell you?

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow

at a minimum, JT needs to add serious lower body strength/weight. that should have been a major focus since he arrived on campus day 1. it doesn't look like he's gained a pound, though. last year forearm grazes around his waist knocked him down. like 00Burdell said, he needs a solid 15 lbs of muscle packed on. it baffles me as to why this hasn't been a focus of the staff to beef him up as he goes into year 3.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Justin Thomas has added 17 pounds since he has been at Tech.

he must be the envy of most women out there in this world the way he can hide the weight! :)

if he's added a legit 17lbs he must have weighed more like 165 when he got here and not the 175 range as reported. his stated weight in his bio is 185. i'll let my eyes do the talking and contend he needs to add more. he's too light in the britches and it showed last season on a number of occasions. i'd like to see him at a minimum of 195 with much stronger legs. he's gotta be able to shed arm tackles.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
The coaches know way more about player's ceilings than I ever will. That said, measurables and high ceilings will sometimes get you Stephen Hill at WR. Ignoring them will sometimes get you George Godsey or John Dewberry at qb, but might also get you a Reggie Ball, too. Anybody remember Eddie McAshan and Jack Williams in 1970? IIRC, several times that year, Williams came in and rallied the team when McAshan was ineffective. Carson really really wanted McAshan to take the reins/reigns/rains but by the uga game, the fans, the student body, the ball boys, the guys that lined the field, essentially everybody not named dooley insisted that Williams get the start. Somebody help me if my memory has finally succumbed to bourbon. I know we won 17-7 cause the media guide tells me so. Are we in for that kind of year? Most games, JT starts and does well, but in a couple of key games, TB comes in and wills us over the edge. A little qb controversy is fine if it gets us to 9-3, a win over uga in athens, and a bowl win like it did in 1970.

Anyway, what's the big problem. DaBuzz has just told us that a key insider says we have a qb that can run the offense and is getting better. We also have a qb that the coaches think has a very high ceiling and had quite a bit of experience running the offense last year but needs to improve. This is why the coaches make the big dollars. Figure it out, and use those abilities to win us some games. Weren't any of you here during the Chan years? This is a lot better than having people with a low ceiling that can't run the offense.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
The coaches know way more about player's ceilings than I ever will. That said, measurables and high ceilings will sometimes get you Stephen Hill at WR. Ignoring them will sometimes get you George Godsey or John Dewberry at qb, but might also get you a Reggie Ball, too. Anybody remember Eddie McAshan and Jack Williams in 1970? IIRC, several times that year, Williams came in and rallied the team when McAshan was ineffective. Carson really really wanted McAshan to take the reins/reigns/rains but by the uga game, the fans, the student body, the ball boys, the guys that lined the field, essentially everybody not named dooley insisted that Williams get the start. Somebody help me if my memory has finally succumbed to bourbon. I know we won 17-7 cause the media guide tells me so.

Yep, 17-7 in 1970, after a 6-0 win in 1969. Carson also used Mike Wysong at wideout in the 1970 game, caught a TD pass from Williams. Wysong was a very good DB, but his ability on offense was pretty much wasted by Carson.