Justin Thomas passing ability

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree with most of your list, but was actually generally happy with his risky pitches. I thought we had some big plays off of those. I would rather see a guy be a bit too risky than too tentative.
I agree, tentative is bad. But, tentative is not the opposite of risky. I'd say conservative is a better word choice and what I'd like to see. At least until he's proven to be a master of the pitch.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
DCS, you are 100% right about the "looping." It's a really bad habit.

Due to JT's speed, he's been able to get away with it to a great extent. But it's not something that you ever really want to see
Just maybe he's allowed to do this because he's so fast. The benefit I can see to doing it this way is better it affords a better view of the D and better angle attacking the pitch key. It puts him at a north/south attitude on the pitch key instead of an east/west one. I have no idea, just spouting off.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
No. Fumbling will absolutely be our biggest problem on O this year. Like the Nesbitt years but worse.

Everytime JT rolls to the outside I get nervous. I feel like he relys on his considerable athletic talent to gt him out of situations instead of working the system. Just like on D, freelancing may get you a big play here and there, but overall it's a loser. Trust the system.

But that is just my feeling, I have nothing solid to back it up.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Everytime JT rolls to the outside I get nervous. I feel like he relys on his considerable athletic talent to gt him out of situations instead of working the system. Just like on D, freelancing may get you a big play here and there, but overall it's a loser. Trust the system.

But that is just my feeling, I have nothing solid to back it up.
I think there's a fine line between 'take what's there' and 'make a play.' If a guy is athletic enough and doesn't make a bunch of dumb decisions, I'd say let him freelance. People praised Johnny Football for doing it because it worked. People criticized Vad for doing it because it didn't. If it works, do it.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Just maybe he's allowed to do this because he's so fast. The benefit I can see to doing it this way is better it affords a better view of the D and better angle attacking the pitch key. It puts him at a north/south attitude on the pitch key instead of an east/west one. I have no idea, just spouting off.
I remember seeing this a couple of times last season. Isn't he looping around the unblocked DE coming straight into the backfield almost like they were designed to create an obstacle preventing our guy from having a clear path to the pitch lane? I suppose the alternative is that because the unblocked DE is not crashing in, JT should've fed the ball to the b-back.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I remember seeing this a couple of times last season. Isn't he looping around the unblocked DE coming straight into the backfield almost like they were designed to create an obstacle preventing our guy from having a clear path to the pitch lane? I suppose the alternative is that because the unblocked DE is not crashing in, JT should've fed the ball to the b-back.
This. ^
But he loops all the time regardless of blown read or not.

His quick feet and quick release will get the ball to the receiver while he is still open. We have never had this at gt during cpj.
Needs to work on looking off the defender, but the ab on the swing route should be effective.
The To starts with the qb and we have a good one.
The nuances can be taught. The mechanics can be improved. The release, the quick feet, the speed are things that he already possesses and that can't be coached. There are a couple of dozen pieces that have to come together--pass protection, route-running, reliable running game, etc. But this is just football, not nuclear physics--or building the Ironman suit, even. A couple of thousand physical education majors master these things every fall. We can do this.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@dressedcheeseside I think JT goes down the line on TO plays. Virginia 2nd Q at 3:47 is a good example. Syracuse 3rd Q 7:13 is another good example.

On the BB Block options he does take steps back, but they look well planned and part of the play design to allow the BB to get to the block. Syracuse 3rd Q 5:33 is a good example of the loop on the BB called block.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
@dressedcheeseside I think JT goes down the line on TO plays. Virginia 2nd Q at 3:47 is a good example. Syracuse 3rd Q 7:13 is another good example.

On the BB Block options he does take steps back, but they look well planned and part of the play design to allow the BB to get to the block. Syracuse 3rd Q 5:33 is a good example of the loop on the BB called block.

Thanks for posting those, I feel a little better. I've yet to see him tackled for a loss due to his loops so we'll have see what happens.

thwgjacket

Pretty small sample size = 17 attempts over multiple games while passing to receiver corp where the best player by far was a baseball player.
Good news - he has seen the field in some bigger games ( first game miami and then byu) and did well in a few of them.
We have 3 easier games to start the season.

Bad news - last year probably a number of passes were not from pistol
FSU's best player was a baseball player too.

Declinometer

Banned

Raymond Gross use to carry the rock like JT is doing in clip 3 and he could execute.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The few things I want to see Justin improve on have nothing to do with arm strength.

1. Ball security/less risky pitches
2. Looking off defenders/not locking onto primary receiver
3. Taking a better line on triple option runs. He loops around after pulling from the mesh and loses 1 to 2 yards that have to be regained. I still don't know if he's supposed to be doing this or not, but I don't remember any of our other qb's doing it.

1 and 2 could improve, and I think it will with time. He's only a RS-So.

I see what you're saying on #3, but it may not be as big of a deal since he's so fast. It may actually give him a bit more space to maneuver around defenders on the edge.

As for his passing, I think it's fine. The ball comes out quick and hard. The only thing that worries me a bit is how low the ball flight is sometimes. Need to get some air under it for longer passes to give the receiver time to spot the ball and setup for the catch. But remember, our offense is designed such that when we throw we should have a wide open receiver or a guy in single coverage. If we run the ball more effectively, the passing game will come together.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Loop shloop....what i care more about is the way he totes the rock in vid 3.....palming it at times...never really tucking it....i realize he cant tuck it when pitching is a possibility but once the decision to keep is made...that sucker needs to be tucked in tight.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Loop shloop....what i care more about is the way he totes the rock in vid 3.....palming it at times...never really tucking it....i realize he cant tuck it when pitching is a possibility but once the decision to keep is made...that sucker needs to be tucked in tight.

I can still hear my position coach yelling "Three points of contact!" at us in practice.

Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football. - Heisman.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
JTs completion percentage (52%) was higher than Vads... I know it is not apples to apples, but it is still higher.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member