Justin Thomas 2013 highlights

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
No much to see but anyway
I like how he runs the diamond formation, CPJ seems to be more comfortable with him running the diamond than with Vad.
I like how he attacks the edge and of coarse he can showcase his speed. No deep balls, but he shows better patience in the pocket than Vad imo.
He definitely will make some risky pitches even in the highlights he shows one.

LOL at the publishers comment, we'll see.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Check out Dennis Andrews @ around 1:30 finishing a play. JT still gets the touchdown without Andrews coming down field, but I love the effort. Wouldn't be surprised if Andrews is in the 4.4-4.3 speed range.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He loses 2 to 3 yards on a bad path on the first play (qb keeper off the triple option) and still scores easily. He loops around instead of running straight down the line. Once he gets that straightened out, look out!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I like how he runs the diamond formation, CPJ seems to be more comfortable with him running the diamond than with Vad.
I like how he attacks the edge and of coarse he can showcase his speed. No deep balls, but he shows better patience in the pocket than Vad imo.

Honest question: Would you you rather he suck so Johnson get fired?

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow
That last play was the one that excites me the most.. Vad at his best would have been grabbed after three yards and may have gotten 4- 6 yards lowering his shoulder, which he never did last year. Justin gets through the hole so fast and then cuts to the outside, he picks up 14 yards. If he doesn't begin to play soft from bumps and bruises, he would absolutely push this offense to a new level against top defenses..

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That last play was the one that excites me the most.. Vad at his best would have been grabbed after three yards and may have gotten 4- 6 yards lowering his shoulder, which he never did last year. Justin gets through the hole so fast and then cuts to the outside, he picks up 14 yards. If he doesn't begin to play soft from bumps and bruises, he would absolutely push this offense to a new level against top defenses..
I agree. When Justin decides to keep, he instantly becomes a runningback with great field vision and instincts. Moreover, he has the quickness, elusiveness and speed to be a game changer. Vad looked like a qb scrambling and looking for the first place to hide. Funny how he didn't look like that in '12. SMH.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
There are two things that make me excited about Justin. The obvious is his speed. When he gets in the open field, it's going to be a big gain. The second is his willingness to check down to the open receiver. Vad felt the need to go for the deep ball nearly every time he threw, even if it wasn't there. I think Justin gets that with our A-backs matched up against other team's linebackers there are going to be some open receives in the flats and getting it to Andrews/Hill/Days in the open field can turn into a pretty large gain.

I'm trying not to get too exited after the disappointment that was Vad Lee, but it's hard not to like the potential of this offense with someone who has Justin's skill set under center.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There are two things that make me excited about Justin. The obvious is his speed. When he gets in the open field, it's going to be a big gain. The second is his willingness to check down to the open receiver. Vad felt the need to go for the deep ball nearly every time he threw, even if it wasn't there. I think Justin gets that with our A-backs matched up against other team's linebackers there are going to be some open receives in the flats and getting it to Andrews/Hill/Days in the open field can turn into a pretty large gain.

I'm trying not to get too exited after the disappointment that was Vad Lee, but it's hard not to like the potential of this offense with someone who has Justin's skill set under center.
Agree 100%. As an open field runner, it's not just his speed that makes him special. His field vision is uncanny as is his ability to control his body and change directions on a dime and then accelerate out of cuts. Once he gets to a place where he's not thinking on the field and just reacting... LOOK OUT!

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck

Agree, especially regarding his presence in the pocket. He seems to have better awareness. If he gets a Tevin-level command of this offense, mixed with improved play at B-back (where the dive is dangerous again) we'll be a force to contend with.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here's another example of how Justin trumps Vad on the keeper. At 1:28 in the video, we run triple option to the right. The playside Aback, Days I think, whiffs bad on a cut block on the safety. Justin's so fast, he gets by the safety even though he's in relatively good position due to the missed block. Vad goes down in that same situation. JT scores a td. Little things like that make a huge difference.

ps. I just noticed JT took another bad line on that run, again looping instead of straight down the line but his speed is no match for the D. JT's top priority is fixing that line.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

Not sure how you draw that conclusion but I hope you are right. I would love to see more of the Diamond in 2014. My pessimistic side says no though.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Here's another example of how Justin trumps Vad on the keeper. At 1:28 in the video, we run triple option to the right. The playside Aback, Days I think, whiffs bad on a cut block on the safety. Justin's so fast, he gets by the safety even though he's in relatively good position due to the missed block. Vad goes down in that same situation. JT scores a td. Little things like that make a huge difference.

ps. I just noticed JT took another bad line on that run, again looping instead of straight down the line but his speed is no match for the D. JT's top priority is fixing that line.
Kind of makes me wonder if he's coached to do that. I could see it being a coaching point on certain plays or against certain defenses. JT's speed could make it be coached different. He can take away angles of a defender and out flank them with his speed. However, his strength will not be breaking arm tackles from DL, so if he goes straight down the line, the DL has a chance to reach out and grab him. But, if he gets a little depth it gives him the room to beat everyone to the corner.

I may be completely off on that, as I agreed with you when I first saw him do this. It's his consistency in doing this that has me wondering. Stylee, Steebu, Boomer, Bueller?

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
His arm is underrated, throws a tight spiral and does a good job of checking down. Plays very risky but you cant be great without taking risk. He is either going to wins us games or lose us games, but I like the upside and having somebody who can actually put the team on his back and show out.

thwgjacket

Kind of makes me wonder if he's coached to do that. I could see it being a coaching point on certain plays or against certain defenses. JT's speed could make it be coached different. He can take away angles of a defender and out flank them with his speed. However, his strength will not be breaking arm tackles from DL, so if he goes straight down the line, the DL has a chance to reach out and grab him. But, if he gets a little depth it gives him the room to beat everyone to the corner.

I may be completely off on that, as I agreed with you when I first saw him do this. It's his consistency in doing this that has me wondering. Stylee, Steebu, Boomer, Bueller?
I'm not sure if he has been specifically coached to do this at Tech. If you look at his HS tape he also does the loop thing to extend plays. Maybe the coaches are like "You already do it and you're really fast, so what the hell, just keep doing it if it works."

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
His arm is underrated, throws a tight spiral and does a good job of checking down. Plays very risky but you cant be great without taking risk. He is either going to wins us games or lose us games, but I like the upside and having somebody who can actually put the team on his back and show out.
As a general question to the thread: how much of the risky behavior do ya'll think is attributable to being 2nd string and feeling pressure to make the small time you do get huge?

Does he calm down if he isn't trying to prove something every play?