Justin Thomas 100% at Practice Monday

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Good news (y)
Per KS at the AJC - "Thomas, who was taken out of Saturday’s scrimmage as a precautionary measure after a slight injury early in the practice, participated in all but the contact periods of Monday morning’s full-pads practice."
AJC Link

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I was told he was in yellow today, which would explain why he was held out of full contact periods. It would also mean that he isn't quite 100% yet.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
"participated in all but the contact periods of Monday morning’s full-pads practice."

That's a pretty important "but" there considering football is a contact sport, and our QBs usually practice full speed. Worries me that we're only halfway through preseason camp and JT's already on a "pitch count".

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
"participated in all but the contact periods of Monday morning’s full-pads practice."

That's a pretty important "but" there considering football is a contact sport, and our QBs usually practice full speed. Worries me that we're only halfway through preseason camp and JT's already on a "pitch count".

He was in yellow, which is no contact. This was not his choice fwiw.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow

No what should worry you is that our feature back is in RED. He has had a history of injuries as well. I don't get why everyone is on pins and needles about JT remaining healthy and assumes that he won't make it through the season and does not feel the same about ZL. He is the one that more irreplaceable at this point in my opinion. I'd think that with the pounding he is going to take the he is the one that's less likely to make it through the season. Our QB will be fine. It feels like people are almost wishing that something tragic happens so that the backup comes in and plays. Wish we got behind this guy like we get behind the #2 guy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He was in yellow, which is no contact. This was not his choice fwiw.

I'm just a natural worry wart, and maybe I'm overreacting, but putting a no contact jersey on our starting QB in our offense that usually has the QB practice full speed kinda sets off some flags. Keep in mind this is coming off the spring game where he didn't finish, and last Saturday's scrimmage where he saw one series out of 100 plays due to a leg injury. He's the starting QB now, so the amount of exposure to contact is going to increase. Like I said, we're only halfway through fall camp, it worries me that coaches already feel the need to put that yellow jersey on him.

The good thing is Byerly is a very good QB as well so I don't think we'll be hurt too much without JT. We'll miss the big play ability, but we'll just have to skin the defense in different ways with TB.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No what should worry you is that our feature back is in RED. He has had a history of injuries as well. I don't get why everyone is on pins and needles about JT remaining healthy and assumes that he won't make it through the season and does not feel the same about ZL. He is the one that more irreplaceable at this point in my opinion. I'd think that with the pounding he is going to take the he is the one that's less likely to make it through the season. Our QB will be fine. It feels like people are almost wishing that something tragic happens so that the backup comes in and plays. Wish we got behind this guy like we get behind the #2 guy.

I only worry about JT because he's the QB, and has shown a pattern of not finishing when he's been elevated to QB1. Our QB, like any other QBs, will always be more valuable than the feature back. I would actually say the BB is behind a healthy and productive O-line.

No one is wishing ill on JT, but if you don't think his size and recent injury concerns may be an issue during the season then ignorance is bliss I guess.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm just a natural worry wart, and maybe I'm overreacting, but putting a no contact jersey on our starting QB in our offense that usually has the QB practice full speed kinda sets off some flags. Keep in mind this is coming off the spring game where he didn't finish, and last Saturday's scrimmage where he saw one series out of 100 plays due to a leg injury. He's the starting QB now, so the amount of exposure to contact is going to increase. Like I said, we're only halfway through fall camp, it worries me that coaches already feel the need to put that yellow jersey on him.

The good thing is Byerly is a very good QB as well so I don't think we'll be hurt too much without JT. We'll miss the big play ability, but we'll just have to skin the defense in different ways with TB.
What is everyone's theory about why JT is listed as the starter when it appears he has done very little to earn it in practice? I am thinking there is more than meets the eye going on here and the yellow jersey and the limited playing does not necessarily mean what we are worried it may mean.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think CPJ is protecting from injury what he feels is needed to win in 2014. He wants JT and Laskey as fresh as possible to take a 14 game season.

I think Byerly/JT change up could be damaging to any defense by keeping them fresh and keeping the wear and tear of the season down on both players. The two different styles could be difficult for the defense to change to defend.

Send in Byerly first to wear them down in the 1st Q. Send in JT to shred them in Q2 and 3. End with death marches by Byerly. I know this will never happen, just a thought.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What is everyone's theory about why JT is listed as the starter when it appears he has done very little to earn it in practice? I am thinking there is more than meets the eye going on here and the yellow jersey and the limited playing does not necessarily mean what we are worried it may mean.

I wouldn't say JT hasn't earned it in practice. He has experience from last season, and he's probably shown out in practice before the recent injury. The guy probably has the biggest potential in terms of chunk yardage and ability to take it to the house on the team so you want that on the field on every snap. I think @Longestday is correct that CPJ is trying to keep them fresh for the long haul...a "pitch count" if you will, and trying to avoid exascerbating the injuries. Unfortunately, does that get them in game shape? You don't get to play real games in non contact jerseys, and defenders in real games will be going at them 100 mph where our own defenders know to lighten up the closer they get to them. QB and BB are very physically demanding positions in this offense...you can try to give them a "pitch count", but if players are injury prone then it's kinda damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Lol.....see depth chart.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
JT has a hammy tweak. Most guys play with those. The thing is if you play with it, they don't heal or can be aggravated and made worse and then be a season long problem. We don't want that. The safe bet is to hold him out and let it go away. Nip it in the bud. Laskey is only out because the coaches already know what they got in him and there's no reason to wear him down or risk an injury. We're already thin at the position with CJ's head injury, hence the move of Days to Bback.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Some of you crack me up. JT is the clear starter and has separated himself in camp so far. It's great that we have a more than capable back-up in TB. There is no hidden agenda going on.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
On Laskey:

My roommates who played with Adrian Peterson at GSU always told good stories about practice. One was always that AP never practiced this close to the season. Sometimes he'd be on crutches until game day. Another good one was the time my buddy (walk on) went all "scout team All American" and tried to lay AP out. PJ almost ripped his head off his neck.

Nothing to worry about.