Justin Moore

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At the time we needed players. LaBarrie also landed Devoe
Just to double down on giving DLaB a fair shake...

https://www.scout.com/Article/Four-star-point-guard-Mike-Devoe-commits-to-Georgia-Tech-107835580

“I feel like they made me a priority,” Devoe said. “Them coming all the time to see me, they went through the hurricane to see me while I was in Orlando and the fit that I am with them and their style of play.”

It was DLaB that drove through the hurricane to watch him.

bos

Helluva Engineer
February 27th is his birthday. Looks like he's going through a tough time personally, and he hasn't played all that well either. I don't see him getting much playing time in the future, especially when Devoe gets on campus. I've talked to him before and he couldn't be a more respectable kid. However, I saw him several months ago hanging out with a bad crowd. Wish him the best, but he's a likely candidate to transfer after the season which would be good for the program since he's not playing and taking up a scholly.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
February 27th is his birthday. Looks like he's going through a tough time personally, and he hasn't played all that well either. I don't see him getting much playing time in the future, especially when Devoe gets on campus. I've talked to him before and he couldn't be a more respectable kid. However, I saw him several months ago hanging out with a bad crowd. Wish him the best, but he's a likely candidate to transfer after the season which would be good for the program since he's not playing and taking up a scholly.

I think Justin’s basically a good kid, but he’s also 2500 miles from home and that’s got to be a tough situation when you’re young and away from home the first time. I would think that would be a tough situation even if you were primarily a student much less a Georgia Tech student athlete in the country’s toughest basketball conference. I thank him for his efforts and wish the kid well in whatever he chooses to do.

Deleted member 2897

I like him too, and he always seems extremely positive, on the bench and even when recruiting players that are going to be competing for his position. I don't know the details, but in the end he has to do what is best for him and his family.

Yea, I am all for redemption and loyalty. If the guy can stay on the right track, wants to be here, and is trying to do the right stuff, I personally don't care about him eating a scholarship and potentially not seeing much playing time.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Yea, I am all for redemption and loyalty. If the guy can stay on the right track, wants to be here, and is trying to do the right stuff, I personally don't care about him eating a scholarship and potentially not seeing much playing time.
Best scenario could be if he gets with Alston on how to get a Tech degree asap, ask to red shirt next year to do it. Then have 2 years as transfer to lower division closer to home. He would maximize his playing time and be set for life as regards an education.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
He was very positive and adaptable when the coaches wanted to change his shot, last season.

Have to believe he will sit down and make the best decision for his future with all involved on staff, after this season concludes.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Speculation, but I wonder if he put into NCAA to see if he stopped playing games a few weeks ago if he could retain sophomore eligibilty and then transfer. And then NCAA declined and that’s why he’s back with team since he’s probably tight with team, cool with coaches, but with the understanding that he’s going to transfer. If he can’t retain the sophomore eligibilty, might as well stay for the team experience and maybe continue to refine his game. I see him at San Diego State or U of San Diego next year. That’s my guess and
I’m sticking with it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Speculation, but I wonder if he put into NCAA to see if he stopped playing games a few weeks ago if he could retain sophomore eligibilty and then transfer. And then NCAA declined and that’s why he’s back with team since he’s probably tight with team, cool with coaches, but with the understanding that he’s going to transfer.

Um. What? Retaining eligibility? You mean like getting a redshirt? He wouldn't qualify and that's not something he would have to put into the NCAA about. It's a clear cut no.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Speculation, but I wonder if he put into NCAA to see if he stopped playing games a few weeks ago if he could retain sophomore eligibilty and then transfer. And then NCAA declined and that’s why he’s back with team since he’s probably tight with team, cool with coaches, but with the understanding that he’s going to transfer. If he can’t retain the sophomore eligibilty, might as well stay for the team experience and maybe continue to refine his game. I see him at San Diego State or U of San Diego next year. That’s my guess and
I’m sticking with it.

Nah, it doesn't work that way for bball. Play 1 minute or play 10,000 minutes he's lost this year. There's nothing to review.

If he'd been hurt I believe he can petition for another year but that doesn't happen until he exhausts his eligibility.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
More speculation, but I think it was more along the lines of Justin being unhappy (PT) and deciding to stay away on his own accord. That’s why CJP went to such extremes to point out (a couple of times) that he was healthy, in good academic standing, etc.

In essence, it was a personal decision, but coach told him that if he was going to be on our dime, that he had to practice,dress, and support his teammates. That would explain why he was non-commital on playing him moving forward

Just my two cents.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Great observation bwelbo. As I always told my sons, just be a stand up guy when things don't go well.