Justin Bryan

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
If the 6.7 is a fully electronic 60 meters, then Bryan will challenge for fastest player on the team. Snoddy is a 6.7 guy.

If it's a 6.7 60 yards (a more common baseball test), then it is still very good.

http://speedendurance.com/2009/01/21/baseball-60-yard-dash-whats-a-good-time/

Assuming it's hand-timed, you add another .24-.26 to get the fully electronic time. After that's all said and done, it's a 60 meter time of around 7.5. That would be somewhere between 11.4 and 11.7 over 100 meters.

That's still quite fast for most people. Our starting BB Laskey had an 11.5 100 meters in high school and ran away from our safeties in the Spring Game. It would be on the slower end of expected skill position players but better than most LBs and DL

For reference, J. Clowney ran an 11.43 100 in HS.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
6.7 was his best time. I would say he usually runs anywhere from 6.7 to 6.8. He can run. All timed by hand on grass. I don't have a clue what he runs in 40 yards. But he is pretty fast for his size. Last time the ran timed was last fall at a scout day. He ran a 6.7 something ?

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Class size is much smaller at GT. Better student to professed ratio. The GT campus is smaller and it's much easier to get to different classes. So far he likes his 2 classes , UGA was a freak show , one teacher he had is a transvestite most were extreme libs .
I had the same Econ professor my parents had when they were at Tech. Definatly most conservative teacher I've had at Tech, I got a C by .01. Most of the people I know I the Econ program like it, just be prepared for a lot of studying

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Did not play High School football . Justin and Will Homeschooled until Justin's Sr year . Then we moved to Franklin County . He was already committed to UGA when we moved . Our Homeschool baseball program was very good , 6 teamates playing college ball ,1 playing pro . Throughout his baseball career , everyone always said he should have played football . He always wanted to , but with the education choice and Georgia not allowing homeschooled students to play , he was not able to . I believe he can contribute somewhere , he has a unique skill set for his size . Usually baseball players his size are on first base , not flying around the outfield running into walls . If he ends up flying down the field covering kicks , plaing BB , used as a blocker on the edge , or ends up as a rush end or WR , time will tell . One thing for sure , he is excited to be at GT and he comes from a football family . My Grandfather was a captain at Vandy , my father played for Paul Bryant at Kentucky , before transferring and being the captain at ETSU , Dad also coached for 31 years. My Mom is in the Georgia Athletic Directors Hall of Fame . I did not play college ball until my JR year , walking on at UGA , earning a scholly . Justin is 10 times the athlete I ever was . He is walking on , a good student ( SEC Honor Roll both years at UGA ) and VERY excited and grateful for the chance to pursue a dream .

Is that you, Mac?

thwgjacket

If the 6.7 is a fully electronic 60 meters, then Bryan will challenge for fastest player on the team. Snoddy is a 6.7 guy.

If it's a 6.7 60 yards (a more common baseball test), then it is still very good.

http://speedendurance.com/2009/01/21/baseball-60-yard-dash-whats-a-good-time/

Assuming it's hand-timed, you add another .24-.26 to get the fully electronic time. After that's all said and done, it's a 60 meter time of around 7.5. That would be somewhere between 11.4 and 11.7 over 100 meters.

That's still quite fast for most people. Our starting BB Laskey had an 11.5 100 meters in high school and ran away from our safeties in the Spring Game. It would be on the slower end of expected skill position players but better than most LBs and DL

For reference, J. Clowney ran an 11.43 100 in HS.

The 6.7 is 60 yards if he ran it at scout day. Tough to compare a 60 time from baseball to 40 times or track times because in baseball they aren't down in a sprinters stance at the start. They start from a baserunners stance. Just as you would stand if leading off in a game. This equates to a slower start for most guys. 6.7 is above average speed for a major leaguer. From experience it equates to about a 4.6 40. But again that depends on how a guy's start is in the different stances. Fastest I ran was Senior year in college. It was a 6.54 (hand timed so probably not perfect). At that time I could run a high 4.4 in the 40. From what I've been told you turn the 6 into a 4 and then knock off a tenth for the 40 time. But I'm not as big as this kid. He has 25 lbs on me and would not have been far behind me. That's really impressive. UGA website says he's 6'5 230.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The 6.7 is 60 yards if he ran it at scout day. Tough to compare a 60 time from baseball to 40 times or track times because in baseball they aren't down in a sprinters stance at the start. They start from a baserunners stance. Just as you would stand if leading off in a game. This equates to a slower start for most guys. 6.7 is above average speed for a major leaguer. From experience it equates to about a 4.6 40. But again that depends on how a guy's start is in the different stances. Fastest I ran was Senior year in college. It was a 6.54 (hand timed so probably not perfect). At that time I could run a high 4.4 in the 40. From what I've been told you turn the 6 into a 4 and then knock off a tenth for the 40 time. But I'm not as big as this kid. He has 25 lbs on me and would not have been far behind me. That's really impressive. UGA website says he's 6'5 230.
All this track technique affecting times masks the fact that some guys are fast and some guys are slow in full pads off the LOS on a football field. None of the above run scenarios mimic what happens in a football game. We won't know how "fast" he truly is in this manner till he gets on the practice field and/or in games, if he makes it that far.

thwgjacket

All this track technique affecting times masks the fact that some guys are fast and some guys are slow in full pads off the LOS on a football field. None of the above run scenarios mimic what happens in a football game. We won't know how "fast" he truly is in this manner till he gets on the practice field and/or in games, if he makes it that far.
I guess that's why NFL teams put no stock in a 4o time at the combine. Oh wait...

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
True . He is just excited that he is getting the chance to compete . Personally , I'm excited for him , he gets to get the answer to his what if . He won't have to look back and wonder if he could have competed at the highest level in football . Either way , no regrets !

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
True . He is just excited that he is getting the chance to compete . Personally , I'm excited for him , he gets to get the answer to his what if . He won't have to look back and wonder if he could have competed at the highest level in football . Either way , no regrets !

Commendable! I am pulling for Will and Justin. If Justin works out it is great for everybody. If not, its like you said, worth the effort with "no regrets". Anyway this is great theater to spice up the otherwise dull offseason. I and one of my daughters are Tech grads but I have 2 brother-in-laws and 2 sister-in-laws who are UGA grads and the family has survived the split well for a long time. Best of luck to all of you including the "dogs".

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
And I'm pulling for him 100%. I love stories like this, in fact, I have a bit of a "darkhorse" rooter rep around here.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
6'5" at the BB position? That will be interesting. Bring it on young fella. Let's see what you got.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

I sent you a PM many weeks ago after learning of Will signing with us. Now that Justin has decided to finish up college on North Ave it seems I've got something in common with him. I wish you all good luck over the next few years. Your sons have made choices they will not regret. White and Old Gold does wear well. :)

BTW, I'm sure you talk to Steve Dennis every so often, don't you?

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I know who Steve is , have met him at some letterman events. Also went down to Troy once. I actually was at Troy before transferring to UGA . During the recruiting process , we really don't get to speak w many of the current players parents. Even parents that are UGA Lettermen. I'm sure his Lettermen friends told him the same thing mine did , that they were happy that they knew someone who's children were smart enough to go to GT . Lol . It's really not Hostile . Most Lettermen have sons and daughters attending different colleges. Even Coach Dooley told Will good luck when we were at a 83 renuniom last fall.

thwgjacket

They also have tons of film on these guys to see how that speed translates to the football field. You don't see them scouting Olympic track meets for football players..... oh wait......
You know when you put "oh wait" it means that you think the opposite of what you said is correct, right? In this case it would be what I said. Lol. It's funny because I remember a few years ago there was buzz about NFL teams wanting to talk to Usain Bolt.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You know when you put "oh wait" it means that you think the opposite of what you said is correct, right? In this case it would be what I said. Lol. It's funny because I remember a few years ago there was buzz about NFL teams wanting to talk to Usain Bolt.
You didn't get my sarcasm in the "oh wait" usage. I used incorrectly on purpose because it doesn't mean anything as in when you used it. Again, NFL scouts don't scout track meets. The last time they tried it, it was a huge embarrassment for the league, or should I say 49ers.

play_g_nehemiah_b1_200.jpg

Believe me, scouts are gonna make sure a guy can play ball to go along with his speed. Combine 40 times are the "eye raiser" that perks their interest into digging deeper and that's only if it's some guy who's flown under the radar.